Tell me this doesn’t sound like Bonham.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It is Bonham (along with Clem Cattini on drums). Jimmy Page and Allan Holdsworth on guitar, and John Paul Jones on bass.

(there's some confusion and conflicting reports about whether or not Bonham is on there, and whether it's Allan Holdsworth or Alan Parker on guitar, but to me, it's 100% Bonham)

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is Bonham (along with Clem Cattini on drums). Jimmy Page and Allan Holdsworth on guitar, and John Paul Jones on bass.

(there's some confusion and conflicting reports about whether or not Bonham is on there, and whether it's Allan Holdsworth or Alan Parker on guitar, but to me, it's 100% Bonham)
I thought this was 100% Clem Cattini.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I thought this was 100% Clem Cattini.

Donovan has been cagey about it. Depending on when he’s asked and who’s asking, he’s said it’s just Clem or a combination of Clem and Bonham.

To clarify - I didn’t mean it was only Bonham with my 100% comment - I just meant it exactly matches his sound / style from that time period and that I think he’s definitely one of the drummers on the track (along with Clem)

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donovan has been cagey about it. Depending on when he’s asked and who’s asking, he’s said it’s just Clem or a combination of Clem and Bonham.

To clarify - I didn’t mean it was only Bonham with my 100% comment - I just meant it exactly matches his sound / style from that time period and that I think he’s definitely one of the drummers on the track (along with Clem)
I got what you were saying and I’m actually wondering why they would do that, record with both of them. I don’t hear any phasing or anything that would indicate that there are more than one drummer on the track. I’d like to hear an isolated track if one is available….hmmmm….might be worth a search.

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Have you seen this?
Goes back a little while and is not authoritative but it’s something…

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t explain why I think that .
Just doesn’t sound bombastic .
The fills have no personality like Bonhams
In my opinion .

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t explain why I think that .
Just doesn’t sound bombastic .
The fills have no personality like Bonhams
In my opinion .
Yeah I get what you’re saying, it does feel a little flat, but imo the fills are totally Bonzo in terms of patterns though maybe not execution.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The drums lack authority, my ruling is not Bonham …..
768BA136-ADFB-41BA-B8C3-83DA91F1D0A7.jpeg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That one snare fill maybe. However, although Bonhams playing is not super technical, his feel seems faster, the dynamic louder, and he did change up various fills and make it very interesting.

Listen to some early 60's Elvin Jones or Alphonse Mouzon and you'll be scratching your head going "Aha, that's where Bonham got all his inspiration!" You'll hear all kinds of triplets and fills that were definitely copied by many later rock players....

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That one snare fill maybe. However, although Bonhams playing is not super technical, is feel seems faster, the dynamic louder, and he did change up various pills and make it very interesting.

I changed up my pills when I was much younger. It didn't necessarily make me play better, but it did make things around me much more interesting.