Tell me you have too many drums...

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, nice pieces. I'm an old Prauge OK guy. The love for floors must be an OK thing. I use three myself. Stuck in Wi now and some think I have to many floors I like to tell them it's a southern thing, they wouldn't understand > (LOL). Thanks for putting it up. Just cool stuff. Thanks again , Wally
Where are you in Wi ?
I have a few customers up there …
I keep meaning to make a trip but always get sidetracked …

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That drum was more important than her anyway. I had a girlfriend do me the same way. I told her that my drums will stay and the knothole on the fence will now take her place if need be. I have a couple of Vistalites as lighting fixtures (Green and Amber) at my sister's house in Derry, Northern Ireland. Does that count? Thanks to my late brother, there's two of every late '70s and early '80s Tama Imperialstar drum in every size ever made including Octobans, Concert toms and Gong drums. The X-Tra toms too. All black. Same goes with snares up until 2009 when he croaked. Then add the entire line of 1st Generation of Art Stars. Rosewood and Bell Brass snares all in storage at my sister's in Wisconsin. There's two pallets of Titan hardware one still in boxes. More than half the drums are still in their unopened boxes. A virtual museum! Unplayable and untouchable to me. Thoroughbred Music out of Tampa supplied them. And he was a stinking saxophonist! I only have my YMCAs!

Jazz Drummer

Reaction score
I have collected vintage drums and cymbals for 40 years - Ludwig, Slingerland, Gretsch, Rogers, Premier, ASBA, A. Ziljian, K. Zildjian, Sabian HH/SoundControl, Turkish K’s, and Paiste 602. I have restored over 150 drums over the years. I always collected to play, not just to collect.

When I came back from New York to Hamburg in 1989, I needed a 20” ocean container – ok, some furniture in there two.

I was never fond of having drums in storage, always at the house. I broke the old collectors’ rule “what you have not used in three months you don’t need” every three months. At peak times I had six sets, 16 snare drums and a ton of cymbals. Some collectors may say that’s not a lot, but for me it was. I am a Jazz player in the first place and enjoy the “souls” and qualities of old, well made instruments.

What I have learnt in time though, I always had my favorite sets and snare drums, two each which I have played – the rest was nice to have, but not really necessary.

So I have reduced my collection over the years, always bought some “new” ones of course. In the last two years alone, I have sold three sets and seven snare drums, even some Paiste 602 Black Label.

Now I am left with

at my bass players house a 1990 „Custom“ with REMO MasterTouch316 shells and ASBA-lugs, 12x8 / 14x14 / 18x14 (thanks to Corona I have not seen that set in 16 months…);

for the Road a very pretty 1967-transition BlueShimmer PREMIER Outfit 101, 12x8 / 14x14 / 20x12 (have not had that set on the road in 16 months either…);

at home a 1973 wood veneer ASBA SuperBaby 12x8 /16x16RussianDolls / 20x14 previously owned by the late, great French Jazz drummer Christian Garros, who has been my „hero“ from day one.

Six SDs (2 x wood, 2 x COB, 2 x COA):
1953 SLINGERLAND RadioKing 5.5” WMP RadioKing (a present from Jim Chapin, along with a 1960’s Chicago-Badge WMP 18x8 tenor drum)
1965 LUDWIG 5” Supra-Phonic
1967 PREMIER 5.5” COA Model2000
1967 PREMIER 1967-transition 5.5” COB HiFi
1970’s ASBA 5.5“ 743B/Ocoumé (mahogany-family from Gabun)
1970 ASBA 5“ 743M/COB SuperRevelation (almost 11 lbs!).

Three Paiste Formula 602 Black Label cymbal sets:
14SoundEdge, 18 Medium/Rivets, 19 Medium, 18 China, 8” Bell
13SoundEdge, 17 ThinCrash, 18 ThinCrashMorello, 18 ThinFlatRide, 8” Bell
14SoundEdge, 18 ThinCrash
Plus Paiste Accent (triangle sound) 2 x 4”, 2 x 6”, 2 x 8”

As a (non-professional) player, that is what I will ever need and if my two daughters will have to deal with my humble collection one day, it will be manageable.

1967Premier 1973ASBA DSC05630.JPG
1967Premier Outfit 101 DSC05627.JPG
1973GarrosASBA SuperBaby DSC05631.JPG

If you asked me for some ofthe best drums made of all time, these are the ones for me – except for the REMO shells but they do sound great.

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Where are you in Wi ?
I have a few customers up there …
I keep meaning to make a trip but always get sidetracked …
I'm in New Glarus . A small town , best known for the Spotted Cow Beer. The brewery is next door to my place. If your ever around the area you have a rest place with drum talk and good beer !