Tell us what you really think Quincy

Reaction score
You could say his orchestration on hits such as Lesley Gore's feature crappy charts, poor production, and out-of-tune horns galore........

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We said, Mate, why dont you get some lager and lime, some Shepherds pie, and take an hour-and-a-half and relax a little bit. So he did, and we called Ronnie Verrell, a jazz drummer. Ronnie came in for 15 minutes and tore it up, the producer continued. Ringo comes back and says, George, can you play it back for me one more time? So George did, and Ringo says, That didnt sound so bad. And I said, Yeah, motherfer because it aint you.

I don't care how true or false, this part is funny !

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the utmost respect for Quincy but if you've ever seen an interview with him over the last few years, the guy mumbles and doesn't seem to know exactly where he is lately.

"Asked what his first impressions of John, Paul, George and Ringo were, Jones didnt hold back, declaring that they were the worst musicians in the world. They were no-playing motherfers. .

First off, the Beatles weren't virtuosos in the beginning, in the sense that Quincy Jones had probably worked some very talented session musicians, so to make any comparison, though true, doesn't detract that they were pretty talented for a bunch of "kids".

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Quincy who?

Like watching Ali with latter stage Parkinsons telling people he "floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee!"

"Pffffffttttt"

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
aldenyc2012 said:
I have the utmost respect for Quincy but if you've ever seen an interview with him over the last few years, the guy mumbles and doesn't seem to know exactly where he is lately.

"Asked what his first impressions of John, Paul, George and Ringo were, Jones didnt hold back, declaring that they were the worst musicians in the world. They were no-playing motherfers. .

First off, the Beatles weren't virtuosos in the beginning, in the sense that Quincy Jones had probably worked some very talented session musicians, so to make any comparison, though true, doesn't detract that they were pretty talented for a bunch of "kids".
Good points....

Wouldn't someone mature and with some class have replied something like-"well you know back then they were really just starting to figure out how to play and all, but boy did they have an ear for writng pop tunes."

Guy acts like they ran over his puppy or something...

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
aldenyc2012 said:

True, still perhaps my favorite band of all time...but to your point, theyre no going to get called as the backing rhythm section of some David Foster orchestra that are playing on the Grammys or what have you.

Hamfist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to be 85 and every word I say is gospel. He might have some good points but he is not helping music with his holier-than-thou bullshit.

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is a guy who's been involved in some serious sh*t for most of his life. I'm reading this as a musical parallel to Jerry Lewis or another ratpacker being given an open mic. The stories he has - he's been in the room!

I'd love to hit a bar with him and just listen. This is some of the funniest stuff I've read in years.

And for the best uses of m*th*rf*ck*r, check our Miles Davis' autobiography - epic!

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bun Carlos said:
You could say his orchestration on hits such as Lesley Gore's feature crappy charts, poor production, and out-of-tune horns galore........
it's his party I suppose

OZjazzer

Reaction score
I freaking love it. At last someone who actually knows his stuff tells the world what a lot of people have known for years. Well done Quincy.

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Funny. QJ has tons of cred, has worked with some of the best musicians of our time, produced one of the best selling albums ever, hears music unlike most people yet says something derogatory about The Beatles and it's "Let's trash Quincy Jones" time.
Pathetic.

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bun Carlos said:
You could say his production expertise and arranging abilities on "Thriller" were bad as well, right?

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
Monty said:
Funny. QJ has tons of cred, has worked with some of the best musicians of our time, produced one of the best selling albums ever, hears music unlike most people yet says something derogatory about The Beatles and it's "Let's trash Quincy Jones" time.
Pathetic.
ya know...The Beatles have tons of cred yet Q went out of his way to trash them...I wonder how many bass players he's hired over the years who first saw a no playing mother-fu-cker on Ed Sullivan and decided to play at that instant.
tr

Reaction score
Monty said:
You could say his production expertise and arranging abilities on "Thriller" were bad as well, right?
His work with Ms. Gore was contemporary to the Beatles work he was discussing.
And, 20 years later one of those crummy musicians in the Beatles was good enough to be recording with artists he was producing at that point.
And I stil stand my my comments on his work with Ms. Gore.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Monty said:
Pathetic.
But he's not just giving an opinion on the Beatles, he's making absolutely ludicrous claims about the Beatles and a dozen other topics. He's talking about artists that are beloved around the world and there's no validity to any of what he's saying: Michael Jackson stole music. Paul Allen, of Microsoft, sings and plays guitar as well as Hendrix. Of course those statement rub people the wrong way. The Beatles, Michael and Hendrix mean a whole lot more to a lot more people than Quincy Jones.

He's just an old man whose mind is going and whose nonsense was given a platform by GQ and Vulture.