Tempus drums?

longfade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am seriously considering grabbing a local Tempus fiberglass kit in bop sizes. I've read that fiberglass is different from Acrylic in that they're fairly warm and dry w/o a lot of overtones. I tune my jazz kits high and wide open, especially the bass drum and based on what I've read it seems like the Tempus drums will really suit my tuning and playing style. Does anyone have any thoughts on Tempus drums' sound?

Oh, one other question. The bass drum is virgin and I really don't care for mounting my rack tom on a snare stand. If I were to decide to install tom mounting hardware, how difficult (or risky) would drilling into the thin fiberglass shells be?

Thanks!

J

johnny

Not sure how vintage this would be, but I'll bet the drums will sound great! Not a fan of toms on snare stands (but I'm still doing it on one of my Ludwig sets, as the bass is virgin and set is for sale, so no drilling on that one)but in this case, I would get comfy with the idea of either a rims mount from a stand, or do the snare stand thing. Let's see pix! :icon_smile:

Z Furman is back

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a kit that I put together from Paul Mason's shells, I ordered fiberglass shells for snare & toms but ordered a carbon fiber bass drum shell because from my listening to sound files over the Internet I felt that the dried deeper pitch tone of carbon fiber was better suited to my liking. I tend to tune very loose, when tunning higher pitch it seams shells resonate less & you get more response for articulate playing.
I also hear less overtones in fiberglass shells over wood shells.

Here's a video of I believe
Nick Costa playing a fiberglass (I think) kit, snare drum looks wood, hope this helps.

Drum on,
Z

Jerome Deupree on carbon fiber kit with metal snare.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is this the red kit from Portland OR? I just spoke to the guy last night and he talked to Paul Mason and raised his price. It sounds like he got the kit for a couple of hundred bucks with the snare. It still sounds like a decent deal but not quite the same as the first price he had listed.

Craig

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
There's no problem with drilling the bass drum. This topic has come up before on another forum, and Paul has no problems with it - the shells are plenty strong enough to handle it.

longfade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is this the red kit from Portland OR? I just spoke to the guy last night and he talked to Paul Mason and raised his price. It sounds like he got the kit for a couple of hundred bucks with the snare. It still sounds like a decent deal but not quite the same as the first price he had listed.

Craig

No, not that one. Where is that listed? I'm curious....is it a bop kit?

Reaction score
I played Tempus drums for many years - both FG and CF shells. In all cases I always had a Yamaha BD mount on the BD and had no issues. Just remember ... measure twice - drill once.

:occasion5:

Billy G.

longfade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I played Tempus drums for many years - both FG and CF shells. In all cases I always had a Yamaha BD mount on the BD and had no issues. Just remember ... measure twice - drill once.

:occasion5:

Billy G.
That is exactly what I would be doing; adding a Yamaha tom mounting system. Thanks for the info!

Jerry Hendrix

Reaction score
I thought about getting some once because I heard the drums are supposed to sound good. But the last time I asked about them I got sent many pictures of shells that got cracks in the finish and have really bad seams and also heard the company doesn't care about you unless you have some kind of professional status. It was more than a few people who emailed me to warn me off them. There's enough companies out there who sell drums that all sound good and look good and have good reputations for me to want to risk getting something less than that. I play drums for money, but I wouldn't rank as having pro status to any company. I ended up buying a vintage Pearl President fiberglass kit for $20! just to try it out. Hated it and dumped it at a friends house for jams! But at least I know what fiberglass sounds like now. Do not want that sound.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I ended up buying a vintage Pearl President fiberglass kit for $20! just to try it out. Hated it and dumped it at a friends house for jams! But at least I know what fiberglass sounds like now. Do not want that sound.
You know what Pearl fiberglass sounds like now...

homeby5

DFO Star
Reaction score
I thought about getting some once because I heard the drums are supposed to sound good. But the last time I asked about them I got sent many pictures of shells that got cracks in the finish and have really bad seams and also heard the company doesn't care about you unless you have some kind of professional status. It was more than a few people who emailed me to warn me off them.
Same here Jerry. Paul's reputation (whether you think it's deserved or not :???: ) turned me off. Customer satisfaction is number one!

john14

Reaction score
I had a Tempus Bop kit in Bronze sparkle - pictures may still be up on the Tempus web-site... "Tempus Jazz!" I ordered the kit with the Pearl BT-3 mount in the center of the bass drum (like Yamaha or Gretsch) with a corresponding BT-3 mounted to the shell of the 8x12 tom... no problem on the tom or the bass drum... those thin shells can take it... BUT I did notice the shell "flexing" - which I didn't like... I modified the Pearl I.S.S. mount to serve as a backing plate inside the bass drum shell... it made a huge difference but if I were to do it all over again, I would use either the Maxwell Vintage Rail mount or the Pearl BB-3 bass drum mount... I think you will be pleased with the Tempus drums for jazz - light weight and pretty well indestructible - and they sound good... I sold my kit to a young guy in our church and went with Wells Custom Maple... just wanted real wood... Tempus shells can take a tom mount - but watch out for flexing... my experience!

longfade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought about getting some once because I heard the drums are supposed to sound good. But the last time I asked about them I got sent many pictures of shells that got cracks in the finish and have really bad seams and also heard the company doesn't care about you unless you have some kind of professional status. It was more than a few people who emailed me to warn me off them. There's enough companies out there who sell drums that all sound good and look good and have good reputations for me to want to risk getting something less than that. I play drums for money, but I wouldn't rank as having pro status to any company. I ended up buying a vintage Pearl President fiberglass kit for $20! just to try it out. Hated it and dumped it at a friends house for jams! But at least I know what fiberglass sounds like now. Do not want that sound.
That's interesting...there is a pretty candid account on the Tempus website about Milestone's treatment of customers (Milestone became Tempus after Paul M bought them out):..........

QUOTE:

"...but the management style used by Michael Clapham began to have a detrimental effect on players and retailers alike. As an example of Michael's outlook towards attracting prominent players, Neil Peart once called the Milestone factory from the Pacific Colosseum, just across town. He'd heard good things about the drums from his friends Mercer and McCracken. Would Michael like to bring a couple of snare drums along to Rush's sound check and chat about the possibilities. The response? "My son has a soccer game - I can't make it." Shortly thereafter Neil signed with Tama, as did Billy Cobham... the rest is no small part of drum set developmental history."

UNQUOTE

As far as build quality, I can't say. I do know that the wrap is separating a bit but I don't care about that. Sound-wise, that's for me to decide but I think I'm going to love the sound so that is what is going to drive my decision ultimately. Bad business practices don't necessarily mean an inferior product.

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
As far as build quality, I can't say. I do know that the wrap is separating a bit but I don't care about that. Sound-wise, that's for me to decide but I think I'm going to love the sound so that is what is going to drive my decision ultimately. Bad business practices don't necessarily mean an inferior product.
It would be interesting to see a pic of that. There is no wrap on "normal" Tempus drums - unless they were re-wrapped or were custom-ordered with wrap. The finish is gelcoat and is integral to the shell.

As far as sound, I can say that they sound very similar to Fibes maple, perhaps a bit more sustain (using similar heads). I have both.

Jerry Hendrix

Reaction score
That's interesting...there is a pretty candid account on the Tempus website about Milestone's treatment of customers (Milestone became Tempus after Paul M bought them out):..........

QUOTE:

"...but the management style used by Michael Clapham began to have a detrimental effect on players and retailers alike. As an example of Michael's outlook towards attracting prominent players, Neil Peart once called the Milestone factory from the Pacific Colosseum, just across town. He'd heard good things about the drums from his friends Mercer and McCracken. Would Michael like to bring a couple of snare drums along to Rush's sound check and chat about the possibilities. The response? "My son has a soccer game - I can't make it." Shortly thereafter Neil signed with Tama, as did Billy Cobham... the rest is no small part of drum set developmental history."

UNQUOTE

Well, at least the guy's son is probably proud that his dad made the soccer game a priority over Rush's soundcheck.

As far as the sound, I guess most any drum set can be made to sound good if you work out all the kinks. Maybe even that Pearl set I picked up would sound good if I took the time to really set it up. But as far as tempus drums goes, they cost a lot of money and I didn't want to take the chance on them after I saw what I saw.

W

wayne

There are so many choices available to players these days,it isi,nt neccessary to put up with smoke and mirror operators.There are only a handful out there,but thx to the internet we now know most of them.

rondrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've read that fiberglass is different from Acrylic in that they're fairly warm and dry w/o a lot of overtones.
Wrong. (I know because I've played them--a lot).
Fiberglass makes a very bright sound with absolute tons of resonance. It's the super-hard interior that reflects the vibration and sends it out. I remember what a phenomenon this was when Fibes drums came out in the 60's.

Now----Tempus drums are different from the old Fibes. The guy who originally invented the shell formula (the old Milestones) found a way to make them a bit warmer sounding. When Paul Mason inherited Milestone and changed the name to Tempus, he kept the original shell formula, as far as I know.

The Tempus drums I have played were not "dry" at all, and they had a lot of resonance, but they also had a very focused note. I really thought they were exceptional drums.

As to the customer service problems some people have had, I can't comment.

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
I cannot and will not comment on peoples personal experiences with Tempus.

I will comment on the drums, they sound amazing and as rondrums has
stated they are exceptional.

W

wayne

Fibes and Zickos are the ones that made exceptional drums in that material,they started the trend,and i havent heard anyone ever make a negative comment about either company...My 2 cents.

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
Fibes and Zickos are the ones that made exceptional drums in that material,they started the trend,and i havent heard anyone ever make a negative comment about either company...My 2 cents.
Does that mean Tempus or Milestones don't sound good? you own any? played any?