Tempus drums?

EDL

Reaction score
Doesnt matter what the ratio of crappy drums to good drums is..
It could be (crap/good ratio) 10/90 or 20/80 or 30/70 or 40/60 or 50/50...hopefully it's not 60/40 or 70/30 or 80/20 or 90/10...crap/good ratio that is..
No one will ever know for sure..how many crap drums Tempus sends out..

10/90 crap/good is barely tolerable for any company that wants to stay in business...and anything more than that is just plain unthinkable..if I had to take a wild guess though..I would say it is around 50/50..and that is giving the benifit of the doubt to Tempus..but if I included all minor blemishes no matter how insignifigant...in other words...all non-perfect drums..I would say it is closer to 80% crap and 20% good..if that..

Bottom Line Verdict=Tempus drums suck..not because they are inherently bad conceptually..but solely because of the execution of the product on the physical level..and the non-existant customer service..

W

wayne

This subject has really hit a nerve with a lot of people,and though it has seemingly gone around in circles,one can only hope that this story has a happy ending and i believe we all know what that would be.Personally im proud to be here with a group of caring,decent,and thoughtful folks that would support me if i was one of the unfortunate ones being taken advantage of.They can hide and peek out from behind the curtains all they want and comment on how nasty we have been to Tempus drums,but i believe if this forum has anything to do with it,you wont be seeing much of them any longer,but if we do,hopefully the message is loud and clear that this industry will not tolerate operations like that and we will tell as many brothers and sisters that will listen.Im sorry to see this happen,its not funny anymore,and the name calling and mud slinging should end.Im more guilty than anyone of that,and im sorry i stooped to that level.I know Tempus is reading this and i trust he will realize there is no hangman here and he would be most welcome to drop in and explain to us how he managed to let a promising drum company allow this to happen.I know if we heard his side there would be a lot more empathy towards him....Drop in Paul,we,,re all ears.

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't think Paul will be chimming in here, he hasn't been logged on since last Sept.
http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/user/193-tempus/
He is much safer hanging out across the hall where everyone thinks he is king.

Sonorholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry to be so bad with quoting other posts. There are just two I'd like to respond to.

The lack of holders on my last order was something I knew all about. I had the hardware here and istalled it myself. There was some confusion at first, but it got sorted, and was totally my fault. Paul was totally on top of things the whole time. It wasn't a case of him shipping a drum in any condition other than what I expected. I've since switched the tom mounts on all the drums. Again, this was totally my decision and was in no way a result of Paul's work. It WAS the result of a bad choice made by me originally.

My comment about Ludwig and Gretsch was simply to remind folks about the large amounts of questionable drums that each company was known for. And to think, some of them go for big bucks now. It's just that things used to be very different .. that's all.

I'm glad this thread has stayed civil, but I can't agree that all Tempus drums are crap. Obviously that's what some have concluded. I'm not going to change that. I just don't want a one sided discussion. Thanks!

Jerry Hendrix

Reaction score
I agree, but the only way this discussion isn't one sided is if Paul Mason himself responds. It would be the silliest thing in the world for just those very few people who consider him as a personal friend to keep defending him over and over while he does nothing. He allows others to defend him. That speaks volumes about the character of the man. He obviously knows about this thread. He's obviously reading it. He's registered here. And he won't respond. Yep. That leaves it pretty one sided.

bconrad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I've had a few Tempus kits, one made specifically for me by Paul, and I was generally happy with the quality, communication, etc. Moreover, Paul was more than generous with extra parts, sent free, when I needed them. One kit, my first one, had shell flaws similar to those noted here, and Paul let me keep the shells and built a new kit for me, to which I added more drums. He then sold me more lugs so I could keep the original shells and build a kit for my young nephew, who enjoys the heck out of them. In short, I got two kits for the price of one and a half, roughly speaking. Aside from that original kit, all my other Tempus drums were of great quality and had no visible or noticeable flaws. The yellow-to-orange fade kit I had for a short time was nothing short of beautiful. You can find pix of this kit on Flickr.

That said, as a small business owner, and a drum buyer/seller, I would never let customer complaints get to this point. And this public. Moreover, I would also disclose any potential manufacturing flaws and terms up front and publicly rather than let customers find out the hard way, only to create a (potentially) bigger problem down the road.

If it were me, I'd take care of my customers and fix the problems or I'd shut it all down.

I ended up selling my Tempi for the opportunity to buy a Blaemire (spun fiberglass) kit from Jerry/Drumjinx, which I've been very, very happy with. Sound-wise, I find them more satisfying than Tempus, the kick in particular, but with the same tone potential Tempus drums offer -- plenty of 'boom.'

My two cents....

Jerry Hendrix

Reaction score
Actually I don't think he's been here in ages.. even lurking.
I find it very difficult to believe that with all the views and attention his risky product and terrible customer service record are getting on this thread that he hasn't been made aware of it. Just the sheer number of views suggests that this topic has become renowned to anyone even remotely considering his product. Do you really think he could honestly claim to not know about this kind of viewership that focuses on him and his product? I don't.

Jerry Hendrix

Reaction score
Okay, well if you agree that he knows about it and it's a given that he is registered here and completely able to respond if he chooses, then his not choosing to respond to it sends a kind of message in a different way, don't you think? I get the feeling his non response is something akin to a little child holding their breath until they turn blue or an ostrich sticking its head into the sand. In other words, his inactions and ignorance don't seem to be making the problems go away. It's not like there haven't been people defending him on his behalf here. But, still, no him.

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
I ended up selling my Tempi for the opportunity to buy a Blaemire (spun fiberglass) kit from Jerry/Drumjinx, which I've been very, very happy with. Sound-wise, I find them more satisfying than Tempus, the kick in particular, but with the same tone potential Tempus drums offer -- plenty of 'boom.'

:cool: :wink:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Jeremy,

I've had two carbon fiber kits and I understand they're very similar to the FG's. I also had a Milestone kit that I re-wrapped. Great sounding kits. The only problem I had with mine was I ordered a 24" kick and got a 22". Paul rectified by sending me a 24" after he built it (it was an unusual color) and had me send the 22" when I received the 24. I wish I still had the kit. I also picked up a white CF kit that I also wish I still had. I also had a Pearl fiberglass kit in he early 80's that recorded extremely well.

Here's a clip of my Tempus kit.

Last edited by a moderator:

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Jeremy,

I've had two carbon fiber kits and I understand they're very similar to the FG's. I also had a Milestone kit that I re-wrapped. Great sounding kits. The only problem I had with mine was I ordered a 24" kick and got a 22". Paul rectified by sending me a 24" after he built it (it was an unusual color) and had me send the 22" when I received the 24. I wish I still had the kit. I also picked up a white CF kit that I also wish I still had. I also had a Pearl fiberglass kit in he early 80's that recorded extremely well.

Here's a clip of my Tempus kit.

Cool groovin', Dan.

Last edited by a moderator:

drums147

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think he knows about it, but I don't think he's reading the thread.
You don't have to sign-in to read the thread . . . just saying . . . IMHO I find it hard to believe that all this bashing of him and his product is going on and he isn't reading it . . . that would take some real self-control . . . unless he is just not getting online at all . . . NAD

EDL

Reaction score
I'm sure Tempus has read every word of this thread...and more than 1x guaranteed..and is grinding his teeth thru all of it...or having bad dreams because of it....or maybe even totally laughing his ass off..at the fact that he got away with what he has over the years while people still defend him...hard to say which..

TomN

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Over the years, I've seen many positive reviews of Tempus drums on the old DCI Forum and here at DFO. And on this thread, some of us with positive Tempus experiences have posted about it.

However, not a single poster has denied that some of you have suffered with some problem experiences or tired to "defend" Paul in these instances.

Yet there's an implication in this thread from a variety of posters that there are few, if any,
Tempus owners who had good experiences with their drums. They're really just keeping quiet about their bad experiences and "defending" Paul out of some feeling of loyalty.

That's the main problem I have with this thread.

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
whew! the thread title was starting to get too close to the bottom of the page!

that was close!

Jerry Hendrix

Reaction score
Over the years, I've seen many positive reviews of Tempus drums on the old DCI Forum and here at DFO. And on this thread, some of us with positive Tempus experiences have posted about it.

However, not a single poster has denied that some of you have suffered with some problem experiences or tired to "defend" Paul in these instances.

Yet there's an implication in this thread from a variety of posters that there are few, if any,
Tempus owners who had good experiences with their drums. They're really just keeping quiet about their bad experiences and "defending" Paul out of some feeling of loyalty.

That's the main problem I have with this thread.
Since I think part of this is directed at me, I will try to clarify.

The OP asked the forum to give impressions of Tempus drums sound and also included a question about drilling the shells.

"Does anyone have any thoughts on Tempus drums sound?"

and:

"If I were to decide to install tom mounting hardware, how difficult (or risky) would drilling into the thin fiberglass shells be?"

The first question is impossible to answer in a way that will satisfy everyone's interpretation of sound. Personally, in every video that has been posted of Tempus drums being played, the sound has been pretty dry and thumpy from what I can hear. I don't know if it's the drums or the way they were recorded. All I know is that MY interpretation of the sound is that they don't sound that good.

The second question opened up the issues related to the construction of the shells. Naturally, people with experience wanted to offer their input both good and bad. As it turns out, there seems to have been a growing number of bad Tempus incidents since the good old days of DCI.

I've also read things about Tempus drums and I've gotten emails from people who have informed me of the sordid details of their experiences but who don't post about them on forums. And several people have told me that in the past when they did try to say critical things about the subject on certain websites, they suddenly found out they couldn't log on anymore. Because of that, many people were trained to keep their critical mouthes shut if they wanted their forum experience to continue. That probably contributed to the fact that there were more good Tempus experiences listed in the old days. Thankfully, times have changed. Now people are finally allowed to voice the other side of the story. This thread is about the best thing that could happen for anyone researching the subject. It's going to save people a lot of heartache. Kudos to DFO!

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
SteveB,

I shared my experiences and views regarding Tempus Drums near the beginning of this thread. When it seemed appropriate, I responded to others and added more feedback, but, as you've gently and rightly pointed out, I'm now just repeating myself. Thus, for courtesy, I'm going to respond to a few people and then allow others to be heard without further static from me. If the thread continues at greater length and develops in a direction where my input would be of value, I may comment again at that point.

Thank you for your compliment on my writing and for your constructive feedback. You asked how I know what Paul's turnaround with kits is. I based my numbers on having been to Paul's workshop and observing the production capacity, conversations with Paul, knowledge of Paul's commitments outside Tempus (he has a day job, family, etc.), and experience (my own and other customers') regarding turnaround times for kits. I realize nobody asked me to comment for the group, but, in the presence of negative feedback, I keep reading responses from Paul (on Drumsmith, Facebook, and other sites) about how most Tempus customers are happy and very few orders are problematic. The increasing posts from unhappy customers suggest otherwise so I decided, after reading Sonorholic's comments, to attempt putting numbers to what I've observed. The result actually surprised me. Possibly my conclusions are way off, but the numbers suggest the problems are significant and well worth investigating.

Paul didn't have a great record last year. He allowed the problems with my order to continue unresolved (refusing my request for a refund or a replacement kit, and providing minimal repairs that contained the same defects as the original work). To my surprise, several, well known, long-time Tempus supporters received kits and were so unhappy with the service and quality that they posted complaints on Paul's home turf (i.e. Drumsmith). One customer was so frustrated with having been given questionable status reports and eventually receiving a kit that wasn't what they ordered (the finish was entirely incorrect) that they requested a full refund. This brought Paul's "no refund" policy into the spotlight. Rather than provide the refund, Paul held to his policy and eventually brokered a deal for another customer to buy the kit from the first. Meanwhile, the original customer was stuck and it's my understanding that they still haven't received their full refund (the second customer short paid or the exchange rate caused a shortage... point being, had Paul provided a proper refund these issues wouldn't exist). Moreover, making a customer wait for a brokering arrangement and forcing the two cusotmers to correlate their transactions doesn't sit well ethically. Even if one leaves ethics aside, the approach is unprofessional and, given the already stressed nature of the relationship with the original customer, shows bad judgement.

These kinds of dealings didn't help Paul's reputation. You ship the wrong thing, you refund. Simple. Actually, it's not that simple because had Paul not delivered incredibly late and given dubious status reports, the customer may well have accepted a replacement kit. Given the circumstances though, it's understandable why the customer lost faith and requested a return/refund. This transaction strongly reflects feelings I had during my own transaction with Tempus. At a certain point, after enough delivery dates had been missed and the status reports were no longer believable, and after receiving a number of drums with notable manufacturing flaws, I lost faith in Paul's honesty and in his ability to deliver acceptable goods.

Based on my own experience and comparing this with others who purchased in previous years, I deduce Paul's manufacturing problems have been going on for quite some time. Having shipped Sonorlite a seriously defective set of shells (every shell has cracks and fissures in its finish, and the seams are ragged with bulging, excess material), Paul didn't refund Sonorlite's money. This issue has been outstanding for three or four years now. Sonorlite's experiance mirors my own: my order contains the same finish flaws and Paul refused to refund. bconrad mentioned that his first kit from Paul contained finish flaws similar to those Sonorlite and I have shown, and that Paul made a replacement kit to resolve this. Okay. It's good that Paul did this, but it also shows a repeating history and underlines that Paul is aware of the issues and hasn't addressed them. Given that Paul knows of these problems, one would think he'd check his shells carefully before shipping them, but this seems not to be the case. Also, I'm at a loss as to why Paul attempted to blame me for the problems in my kit and has not yet built me a new one. Paul knows he himself is responsible for the issues.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it here: Paul is his own worst enemy and he deserves the negative feedback he's getting. It's not that customers haven't let him know about the problems and haven't given plenty of opportunity for him to solve the issues and specific problems with orders. Paul, knowingly and of his own choice, allows these issues to continue.

Alright. I'll make a few, brief, courteous replies to others and hand the stage over. Again Steve, thanks for your constructive feedback.

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
Wayne and Jerry,

I appreciate that ideally Paul would be part of this discussion (and I suggested the same), but realistically, based on what I've witnessed in the past, I think such a contribution would lead to an exploding thread. Paul doesn’t seem open to receiving feedback about problems of the sort we're discussing. He also seems not able to recognize cause and effect: miss a delivery date and a customer may become concerned; miss many delivery dates and don't correspond appropriately and a customer is likely to become very concerned. I wish an open, constructive dialog were possible, but I find this unlikely.

Latest posts