Ten Most Underrated Drummers in Rock

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Breaking news: The drum experts at Whatculture.com have compiled and ranked the "Ten Most Underrated Drummers in Rock." As a service to all the Drumforumite's who love a list, I've provided the list below as well as the link you can use to click your way through the commentary on these unheralded drummers (some of whom also warrant inclusion on "The Luckiest Drummers in Rock, which I've noted with an asterisk*).

10. Paul Cook - The Sex Pistols

9. Larry Mullen Jr.* - U2

8. Dominic Howard* - Muse

7. Josh Freese - Nine Inch Nails/Weezer

6. Dave Grohl - Nirvana/Queens of the Stone Age

5. Erick Carr - KISS (I Love It Loud)

4. Phil Selway - Radiohead

3. Bernard Purdie - Steely Dan

2. Phil Collins - Genesis/Co-drummer on 1985 Led Zeppelin reunion.

1. Jim "Buster Sidebury" Keltner - The Travelling Wilburys/Pink Floyd.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Larry Mullen?!?!

I vote for JOHN WEATHERS... Gentle Giant

Also... Curly Smith... Have not heard that name in years! Really dug the JO JO GUNNE album back when.........

Ian S

Reaction score
I always thought Dave Grohl was quite overrated, personally.

Edit: Just to clarify, I don't mean to say he's not a good drummer.. I just don't think he's as great as most rock fans seem to think he is.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought Dave Grohl was quite overrated, personally.

Edit: Just to clarify, I don't mean to say he's not a good drummer.. I just don't think he's as great as most rock fans seem to think he is.
I went from totally disrespecting him when I was a kid in the 90s to marveling at him creating the perfect parts for every song today. I love his drumming now, but I for sure wouldn't put him on an underrated list.

Ian S

Reaction score
I went from totally disrespecting him when I was a kid in the 90s to marveling at him creating the perfect parts for every song today. I love his drumming now, but I for sure wouldn't put him on an underrated list.
I admit it's been several years since I heard Dave Grohl play, straight ahead rock isn't usually on the menu at my place. But it sounds like maybe I should check out some of his more recent stuff. Thanks for the tip.