Ten Most Underrated Drummers in Rock

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went from totally disrespecting him when I was a kid in the 90s to marveling at him creating the perfect parts for every song today. I love his drumming now, but I for sure wouldn't put him on an underrated list.
Looking at his creativity, accomplishments and positive approach to the craft...

I'm a big fan in a lot of ways, that's all I can say.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Larry Mullen?!?!

I vote for JOHN WEATHERS... Gentle Giant

Also... Curly Smith... Have not heard that name in years! Really dug the JO JO GUNNE album back when.........
Pugwash is way too under-rated!

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I went from totally disrespecting him when I was a kid in the 90s to marveling at him creating the perfect parts for every song today. I love his drumming now, but I for sure wouldn't put him on an underrated list.
I just wish he could string three words together without swearing.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How about Mick Fleetwood and Roger Taylor?????

Not exactly technical virtuosos on the instrument (although Dragon Attack off Queen - The Game slays me ((see what I did there?:razz:)) every time), but both come up with amazing parts that fit the song perfectly; and both have a feel that is very difficult to imitate.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Richard Hughes(Johnny Wniter)
2.Bill Marshall(LarryRaspberry)
3.Bobby Caldwell
4.Uncle John Turner
5.Edgar Winter
6.Bobby T.
7.Brian Hitt(REO)
8.Fito D La Parra(Canned Heat)
9.Bobby Rondinelli
10.Chuck Burgi

langmick

Reaction score
I have a few to ad.

Max Weinberg
Jerry Marotta
Don Brewer
Graham Lear

Caught a Foo Fighters show...the lyrics must have been written in ALL CAPS. A one-dimensional show imo.

Last edited:

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
1.Dave Holland
2.Johnnie Bolin
3.Les Binks
4.John Halsey
5.Gil Moore
6.Bobby Ramirez
7.Danny King
8.Bobby Chouinard
9.Peter Criss
10.Ron Bushy

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
EDGAR WINTER, BABY!!

Check him out... 24 years old, playing an early version of FRANKENSTEIN, 1970 in Europe with brother Johnny... Edgar starts a 2:30, and he really does have some chops.

DBC

Reaction score
Mel Gaynor - Simple Minds
Manny Elias - Tears for Fears
Topper Headon - The Clash
Steve Ferrone - Tom Petty, Eric Clapton, etc.
I'll even throw in W.S. Holland! Johnny Cash's drummer. Very creative and unique setup

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically, the drumming is and has evolved. What we don't see anymore is much personality in playing or signature sound. Everyone sounds the same. That's my opinion though.
That's what the music industry has become over the last 20 years. If you want to work at the highest level, you have to play and sound like what the "industry" wants. I can list at least 30 incredible drummers I know personally, that play on dozens of records every year where they don't even recognize their parts when finally released. Snapping to the grid and sound replacement via Ableton is the industry standard these days. Even if you play/record your parts with a signature sound, it gets whitewashed by some producer/engineer in the mix to make the "industry" happy. It's all SO stupid, but it is what the industry has become.

We are currently re-living the disco era in recorded drumming without the snazzy bad fashion. Everything is cyclical and I pray for the change to arrive daily.

ludwignut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I never hear any drummers mention Pierre Van Der Linden as an underrated drummer , or let alone mention him at all , even though he is an amazing drummer.

langmick

Reaction score
We are currently re-living the disco era in recorded drumming without the snazzy bad fashion.
I think there was plenty of real drumming on those disco tracks, except the ones by Giorgio Moroder. Someof them ha some personality as well.

gra7

Reaction score
Nah - that list doesn’t mention hardly any drummers that get next to no acknowledgement.

when I think underrated I think of:

Simon Kirke (Free / Bad Company)
Pete Thomas (Elvis Costello)
Stefan Kaufman (Accept - from 1979 to 1989)
Terry Chambers (XTC - and Dragon in 1983/1984)
Urs Hiestand (The Young Gods)
Alan White (Yes)

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
To me drummers who help shape the sound of the band....when you take them out something is missing.
Joey Kramer
Mr. Carlos
Stephen Jo Bladd
Jeff Porcaro (Toto has never been the same without him)