header.nohb.html

Terrible Bands You Still Like, Supertramp Edition

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Kicks my butt trying to play it …

Not many band members ever do well after their popular band breaks up . Unless you are the singer …..
So I don’t think you make judgements on that . Also lots of subpar musicians make it big …Being in a popular band or managing to always be in one is not relevant methinks
Back then, if you got an even split on the writing credit for "Light My Fire," there was no need to go back to work.

mikezarva

Reaction score
A song I heard this morning reminded me that the first concert I attended was Supertramp on the Breakfast in America tour in a big hockey arena.

Looking back, it's amazing that I still like music--live music, anyway--after being pummeled with the 100-db-plus awfulness that is The Logical Song, Goodbye Stranger and Breakfast in America. Not sure of the collective insanity that led U.S. radio listeners to make any of those hit songs, but there you go.

Fortunately, some instinct told us to find a way to blunt the full force of the proggers-turned-popster aural assault, so one of our group brought along a goatskin wine bag filled to over-flowing with a random assortment of cordials and whiskies from her parents' liquor cabinet. Thankfully, this put us in the right headspace for a mid-set instrumental featuring a point-of-view film of a train racing through mountains and tunnels. Whoa.

At this point, it's probably fair to say that S'tramp's early output was at least as good as other third-tier prog bands. I like the entire Crime of the Century album (except for Bloody Well Right) and some of the early albums did little to indicate how truly atrocious they would become.

Unfortunately, the impossible-to-explain success of Breakfast--which went No. 1 and quadruple platinum--casts kind of a stink on the earlier catalog. It's impossible to hear Even in the Quietest Moments without recalling the unmatched stupidity of 1979 lyrics like "Can we have kippers for breakfast, Mummy Dear, Mummy Dear. They got to have 'em in Texas, because everyone's a millionaire."

Other low-lights of my concert-going include Duran Duran (which is explained by the simple fact that I liked the young lady who invited me along more than I hated the Duranies, who by then were a dozen years past their MTV prime).

This all leads to the question: What terrible bands do you still like despite how little sense it makes?

I'll admit to owning pretty much all the collected output of The Sweet, and I'd argue that their couple of high points--chiefly their epic 7-minute-long version of Love is Like Oxygen--barely make up for their truly unctuous early output.

Also, for some reason, Ugly Kid Joe has always been a guilty pleasure, even though it's a band with abundantly obvious limitations in terms of musicianship.

So, what terrible bands do you still like?
Nitro!

StatesboroBlue

Reaction score
Back then, if you got an even split on the writing credit for "Light My Fire," there was no need to go back to work.
I am sure none was hurting for money. I still think it is curious. And many many artists do continue. Some form new bands, some go it solo etc.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What are you crying about?
You are confusing your personal taste with actual ability and professionalism.
You don't rate the Doors, you don't rate Densmore?
That's fine.
It doesn't make any of them sub-par or lucky to have ever made a record.
I never liked Led Zeppelin. I have never bought one of their records. It doesn't make them a bad band with a bad drummer. Just music that doesn't speak to me.

StatesboroBlue

Reaction score
You are confusing your personal taste with actual ability and professionalism.
You don't rate the Doors, you don't rate Densmore?
That's fine.
It doesn't make any of them sub-par or lucky to have ever made a record.
I never liked Led Zeppelin. I have never bought one of their records. It doesn't make them a bad band with a bad drummer. Just music that doesn't speak to me.

Actually, I am not confused at all. I made that same point multiple times in this thread previously. I said I was ambivalent about the Doors ... and that I thought ?Densmore was just an okay drummer when compared to his contemporaries. And I invited another member who thought more highly of Densmore thinking he might see something I missed to clue me in. Nope, no confusion on my part--at least not as you claim.

10thMtnDivCpl

Reaction score
Bobby Rock...way underated! The only song I remember from them was Freight Train. And even back then, in all my meathead glory days, I thought it was terrible. LOL

And Jim Gillette! LOL They used to do Rock Scream Tuesdays on Opie and Anthony after finding this on YouTube!
He definitely is. Mad chops and a lot of showmanship in his solos. Just has played with some awful bands.

A buddy of mine worked at a used cd store and would always call me up when something hilarious came in. When that scream comes on in 'Machine Gun Eddie' I almost pissed myself. He had it blaring on the store's system. The people in there were giving us the best "wtf is wrong with these 2?!?!" looks. :lol: I bought their second album as well. They sit atop of my 'terribad' section of my music collection. One must learn to appreciate crappy music. :)

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What specifically kicks your butt.
No judgements made; I just find it curious. And many others do make it after popular bands break up. Maybe it isn't always to same level of popularity, but musicians move on all the time. That's no different from a band dissolving and the musicians moving on. Maybe I get Ray. He had a full time job as a Morrison apologist and Doors evangelist.

The only thing of Densmore's I have put any serious time into is Riders on the Storm. The unison sticking is different.
Don’t know how to explain it …
I just can’t sit down and play those songs , I’d have to put serious time in .

Adrian Lang

Reaction score
A song I heard this morning reminded me that the first concert I attended was Supertramp on the Breakfast in America tour in a big hockey arena.

Looking back, it's amazing that I still like music--live music, anyway--after being pummeled with the 100-db-plus awfulness that is The Logical Song, Goodbye Stranger and Breakfast in America. Not sure of the collective insanity that led U.S. radio listeners to make any of those hit songs, but there you go.

Fortunately, some instinct told us to find a way to blunt the full force of the proggers-turned-popster aural assault, so one of our group brought along a goatskin wine bag filled to over-flowing with a random assortment of cordials and whiskies from her parents' liquor cabinet. Thankfully, this put us in the right headspace for a mid-set instrumental featuring a point-of-view film of a train racing through mountains and tunnels. Whoa.

At this point, it's probably fair to say that S'tramp's early output was at least as good as other third-tier prog bands. I like the entire Crime of the Century album (except for Bloody Well Right) and some of the early albums did little to indicate how truly atrocious they would become.

Unfortunately, the impossible-to-explain success of Breakfast--which went No. 1 and quadruple platinum--casts kind of a stink on the earlier catalog. It's impossible to hear Even in the Quietest Moments without recalling the unmatched stupidity of 1979 lyrics like "Can we have kippers for breakfast, Mummy Dear, Mummy Dear. They got to have 'em in Texas, because everyone's a millionaire."

Other low-lights of my concert-going include Duran Duran (which is explained by the simple fact that I liked the young lady who invited me along more than I hated the Duranies, who by then were a dozen years past their MTV prime).

This all leads to the question: What terrible bands do you still like despite how little sense it makes?

I'll admit to owning pretty much all the collected output of The Sweet, and I'd argue that their couple of high points--chiefly their epic 7-minute-long version of Love is Like Oxygen--barely make up for their truly unctuous early output.

Also, for some reason, Ugly Kid Joe has always been a guilty pleasure, even though it's a band with abundantly obvious limitations in terms of musicianship.

So, what terrible bands do you still like?
Like you i am sure i have seen and listen to what i may think of as terrible bands.
Sweets DesolationBoulevard is a superb album, but the Best of Sweet with all the early CC songs on it like Papa Joe is harder to listen to.
With Supertramp, Crime is a very clever album with no bad tracks althpugh my dad hated Bloody Well Right.
10cc is a band i used to like but struggle to listen to now. No idea why because they were very talented and super song writers. Clever chaps all 4 of them.
I agree with the Whitesnake comment. Recentky bought tge best of cd and i think it will gather dust, yet there are some very good moments on it.
As i drummer i am getting more in to 60’s jazz and some early funky music.

Recently found a Rush album i had never listened to and not got many tracks on the live compilations. It is suoerb and from the early 1990’s.

A

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't get the Supertramp hate. I was roughly 9 years old when "Breakfast" came out. I liked it then and I like it now. Besides, I can think of WAY more songs and bands from the late 70's / early 80's that sucked far more than Supertramp. Take this gem for instance; did you ever wonder what having a colonic enema back-flush poured on to your eardrums sounds like? Step this way and wonder no more!

K-Tel Turd Burglar Collection Vol I

mattr

Reaction score
I don't get the Supertramp hate. I was roughly 9 years old when "Breakfast" came out. I liked it then and I like it now. Besides, I can think of WAY more songs and bands from the late 70's / early 80's that sucked far more than Supertramp. Take this gem for instance; did you ever wonder what having a colonic enema back-flush poured on to your eardrums sounds like? Step this way and wonder no more!

K-Tel Turd Burglar Collection Vol I
That Human League song, the synths sound slightly detuned to me… and it’s annoying… like the neighbor ice cream truck that’s playing “three blind mice”

mrmike

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of an episode of Californication when the main character diss's Supertramp for not being cool and in the very same episode goes shopping at Guitar Center.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Had the great pleasure yesterday of listening to Casey Kasem’s American Top 40 from this week in 1979 — on XM/Sirius. Supertramp’s “The Logical Song” was 7 or 8.