Terry Bozzio's Zappa drum equipment: i.e. cymbals/drums/hardware/heads/sticks.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I got to see Terry twice with Missing Persons, once with the roto kit and once with the electronic kit he built. Saw him later with Jeff Beck, mayb on the Remo kit? One of the most captivating live drummers you will ever see.
Same. Enjoyed both Missing Persons shows immensely. First saw Terry with Zappa just after Bongo Fury (Zoot Allures?) tour. What a great show! I think at that time it was a Natural finish concert tom Slingerland set.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Saw&watched the current/recent Zappa documentary movie on saturday arvo at local cinema/theatre.
Dissapointed there's NO interviews with ANY of his drummers,
Does anyone know what brand/model/series &size cymbals&drums Bozzio used with Zappa?,
&Hardware/heads&sticks?,
Love, peace, respect&stay safe!!!!!! :).
My sentiments exactly—his drummers were in a very important part of his sound— and I do feel good about how much longtime keyboard mallet player Ruth Underwood was in there; but, no other drummers interviewed! WOW you really didn’t cross that box off did you? It had good footage of his home and his family and the end of his life which was probably very important but musically I felt like it was not quite there. But that leaves it open for some other industrious filmmaker to make another documentary about him--there about what three of them out now and there could probably be a whole season of documentaries that would be more concise.

Last edited:

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I saw him with UK from the 4th row at NY's Palladium. I was a Bruford/Holdsworth nut and was disappointed at first but it was just amazing. He had the big chrome BD's and all rototoms. It was so cool. Probably around that time I went all rototoms too for a few years. :)
I didn't see UK any lineup but was also disappointed they got rid of Bruford and Holdsworth, both of which I am a serious fanboy of. I saw Bill live with his Gradually going Tornado tour, it was excellent. No Holdsworth, he did have Jeff Berlin on bass. I saw Holdsworth 3 times over the years, got to meet him and have some small talk, Allan had great drummers each time 1st time Gary Husband later in the 2000s it was first Chad Wackerman then Ron Bruner Jr.

Back to the point about Bozzio "filling in" with the New UK.. I was disappointed and just assumed they'd be worse. Boy was I wrong. Bozzio turned them into this amazing prog-rock super-trio! I think I may like the 2nd version UK even better. The more I think about it the more I put Terry on my all-time top 5 drummer list.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My sentiments exactly—his drummers were in a very important part of his sound— and I do feel good about how much longtime keyboard mallet player Ruth Underwood was in there; but, no other drummers interviewed! WOW you really didn’t cross that box off did you? It had good footage of his home and his family and the end of his life which was probably very important but musically I felt like it was not quite there. But that leaves it open for some other industrious filmmaker to make another documentary about him--there about what three of them out now and there could probably be a whole season of documentaries that would be more concise.
I haven’t seen the flick so I can’t comment...but it is about FZ....
The same with any FZ books. They are about FZ, although there are some...The Big Note for example, that has snippets of everyone...not only the drummers.
In the meantime we have this....I have the dvd as well...which is much better than a little scene in a movie and more on topic.

and we also have this...waaay kewl.....which comes from the/a horses mouth as this fellow is certainly in the know.....

bt