Thank you Guitar Center

Mn02

Reaction score
I couldn’t resist. I had some funds in the drum budget, plus it was my birthday (so the wife could only roll her eyes but not object). And now ...

Attachments

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice!
Those are excellent drums.
Beautiful finish.
Congratulations!

Mn02

Reaction score
The build quality on these is impeccable. I had a RC back in the 90s and these are every bit as well constructed. The hook lugs are cool, if perhaps a bit over engineered and unnecessary. But like most things Yamaha, setup up is easy and everything feels solid The hybrid maple wedge shell is punchy and fat and different enough that it provides a definite alternative to my Ludwig classic maple kit. The bass drum was exceptionally easy to tune - it is fat and thirst and responds well to a heavy or light foot. Also the die cast aluminum hoops are lower in profile and not so rigid that it is uncomfortable to play (I typically prefer 2.3mm). Overall it is a really fun kit to play.

Mn02

Reaction score
The other thing I should mention is I forgot how much I appreciate t rods on a bass drum. It is nice to just to have to reach down and quickly make adjustments without a key.

Mn02

Reaction score
It is a 22x18. Admittedly, not my preferred size (16 or less), but in this instance I was willing to overlook it. And I will say, I have been pleasantly surprised by how playable it is. It takes a bit more force than my 20” bass drums to get it singing but not so much that it requires a major adjustment to how I play. And it responds really well to a harder beater like the dw round wood.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It looked deep. I have the same size BD on a DW kit. Even when there were gigs I rarely took it out. Pretty cumbersome. I would have overlooked that too at that price. Nice pickup.

Drumworm

Reaction score
I have the same kit only with the 16" deep BD. Awesome kit and that was an a stupid good deal. Congrats!

Mn02

Reaction score
16” would be ideal, but I doubt GC ever stocks anything less than 18”. I’d be tempted to have if cut down, but it has so many vent holes in the shell (8) that it really wouldn’t work. Nonetheless, it is very enjoyable to play and compared to the somewhat vanilla (but obviously very well built) maple customs of prior years the hybrid has a real unique character and mojo.