header.nohb.html

That new drum smell... from 45 years ago!

lucky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I bought this SBP Ludwig classic kit about 4 years ago from a guy - I had always wanted a Sky Blue pearl kit - but I had not gotten around to the clean-up and refurb on it in all this time.

Today I pulled it out and got going on the 13" tom - it looks pretty good. A little pitting on the chrome, but the wrap cleaned up real nice. The inside looked perfect. Then I pulled out the 16" tom, and after pulling off the top head I got a big old whiff of fresh paint. It was then that I started thinking that these heads may have never been off since day one!

Indeed the heads are Ludwigs - period correct. They have seen LOT's of playing. But the interiors are mint - the red mufflers show NO signs of use and are like brand new. There is not a speck of dust or dirt inside. I think these are from 1964 - serial numbers are 5 digit 63XXX.

I am pretty damn sure that these heads have never been off. They were a one-owner set.

What a thrill to open up those drums that have not seen 'the light of day' since they left the factory! Aah, that new drum smell!

I'll post some pics later....

drumguy60

Reaction score
Its amazing that the lacquer smell from these 1960 trans badges clear interiors is still potent.

delco

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
cool stuff! thanks for sniffin' for us! :D

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I love that smell! Sometimes I will hold up a tom and push on both heads while smelling the odor out of the badge. I know it's a sickness but I really do love that vintage smell!

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
yeah its hard to explain that smell if someone has never smelled it. its almost addicting. it does take you back in my opinion.

four years to get around to the resto huh? thats pretty wild. looking forward to seeing some pics. ive got a sbp set with 8xxxx serial numbers.march 65 drums.

mike

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It certainly is a nice smell!
Hey Lucky if you ever decide to sell that kit please let me know. 8)

Cheers, Nathan.

lucky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pix: That new drum smell... from 45 years ago!

Here's a few pix - virgin interior & edges! - + the 13" cleaned up.

Also very interesting... has anyone seen the red "L" mark inside the shell? I have seen handwritten marks inside Slingy drums, but these have no date - just the red L. Interestingly, it actually looks like a script Ludwig "L"![attachment=3]0.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]2.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]3.jpg[/attachment] View attachment 20124

lucky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
mpholbrook said:
I'll bet that is the initial of the quality inspector at Ludwig:

My name is Laverne and I approve of that grommet hole! :D

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
wflkurt said:
I love that smell! Sometimes I will hold up a tom and push on both heads while smelling the odor out of the badge. I know it's a sickness but I really do love that vintage smell!

Don't worry, your not alone!

DrumminLefty

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
jptrickster said:
wflkurt said:

Don't worry, your not alone!

Me too..the "I love the smell of vintage drum shell interiors" is a club with plenty of members.
:)

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, I remember that smell when I bought my 67 Ludwig kit. I got them from the original owner and the drums had the original heads that had never been removed. So nice, gotta start sniffen vent holes. :D

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
mlayton said:
yeah its hard to explain that smell if someone has never smelled it. its almost addicting. it does take you back in my opinion.

four years to get around to the resto huh? thats pretty wild. looking forward to seeing some pics. ive got a sbp set with 8xxxx serial numbers.march 65 drums.

mike

Was listening to a piece on NPR a while back and scientists are now saying that subconscious memories are triggered most strongly by the sense of smell. Even more than sight or sound. I know the exact smell you're descrbing. I'm also aware of that girl in 1968 whenever I smell "Tigress" perfume. :)

boom_tat

Reaction score
vintage drum huffing----has it really come to this???... :D

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a cool odor! Our storage closet in the basement is where I have all the drums stored on shelves - everytime I open those doors the smell of old drums permeates the air. I love that smell!