"That" snare sound.

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The overly compressed, thuddy, flat sounding, no crack, one dynamic snare drum sounds that have permeated metal, hard rock, and even pop and country, absolutely suck.
I'm aware that many of these are samples, but if you're going to use samples, why not use a snare drum that doesn't sound like a wet cardboard box?

Someone had to say it.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Aren't you a little young for the get off my lawn speach? Wait your turn, it's our right now. Hammer away boys. It beats the awful snare masquerading as triangle Spin Doctors thing

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get those piccolo snares dusted off boys, they'll be back before you can say crack!

I'm ready!

1653172733199.png

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
The overly compressed, thuddy, flat sounding, no crack, one dynamic snare drum sounds that have permeated metal, hard rock, and even pop and country, absolutely suck.
I'm aware that many of these are samples, but if you're going to use samples, why not use a snare drum that doesn't sound like a wet cardboard box?

Someone had to say it.
Those are real snare drums? Whodathought!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
event eclipses sound
timing eclipses (picayune details of) sound
see what I mean.

Last edited:

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Get those picollo snares dusted off boys, they'll be back before you can say crack!
I've spent pretty much all the 90's fronting a band with a deaf drummer who exclusively played a stratospherically tuned Brass free-floater. Ice-picking my er-drums away, one over-powering rimshot at a time. It's a miracle I can still hear a thing between 1k and 10k hz...

I'll take a farty 70's pffffffffffff snare aound over that any day of the week...

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've spent pretty much all the 90's fronting a band with a deaf drummer who exclusively played a stratospherically tuned Brass free-floater. Ice-picking my er-drums away, one over-powering rimshot at a time. It's a miracle I can still hear a thing between 1k and 10k hz...

I'll take a farty 70's pffffffffffff snare aound over that any day of the week...
No one ever said anything to him?
I mean, ok you did add that he was deaf.

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That sound the op mentioned never really went out. It's because of the place it sits in a mix. When l play l detune my snare sometimes for a song if the way l like it doesn't work for "that" tune. If you need a picollo sound you can mount a popcorn drum or use a sample. Most of you metal guys would be surprised at how versatile a 4x14 or an 8x14 drum can be. Wood shell too btw. Due to the way the guitars and vocals are stacked and layered, the clicky kick drum and gated snare will always have their following because most engineers want an easy quick drum sound. Hello samples. Black album fans will recall that was the first mega metal album with digital samples. Everyone copped that after the success of that album.

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Until 10 seconds ago, I had never heard of this band, and I'm not offering an opinion on them, one way or the other (I'm not their target demographic, and yes, they can get off my lawn). This is purely about the type of snare sound that so many producers go for these days.

To be honest, I've recently had engineers mix MY snare drum like this, and none of my snares sound ANYTHING like that. With the best of intentions, they fall in love with their compressor plug-ins and suck all the life and dynamic range of a great sounding, well-tuned snare.

A good friend of mine mixed a live video shoot we did for a streaming benefit concert last fall. We were on a tight production timeline, so I wasn't able to be present for the mix. When I heard the mix, I told him that he owes me $1100 for making my $1200 snare sound like a $100 snare. He laughed, but I was only half joking.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Until 10 seconds ago, I had never heard of this band, and I'm not offering an opinion on them, one way or the other (I'm not their target demographic, and yes, they can get off my lawn). This is purely about the type of snare sound that so many producers go for these days.

To be honest, I've recently had engineers mix MY snare drum like this, and none of my snares sound ANYTHING like that. With the best of intentions, they fall in love with their compressor plug-ins and suck all the life and dynamic range of a great sounding, well-tuned snare.

A good friend of mine mixed a live video shoot we did for a streaming benefit concert last fall. We were on a tight production timeline, so I wasn't able to be present for the mix. When I heard the mix, I told him that he owes me $1100 for making my $1200 snare sound like a $100 snare. He laughed, but I was only half joking.
This is pure kakadoodoo

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying anything negative about old, classic R&B or 70's snare sounds. I don't mind a detuned, fat sounding snare, as long as it is somewhat "organic". Tape that baby up, put a wallet on there, etc... I'm talking about making every snare drum sound like a sample, whether or not it is a sample.