The ‘sizzle’ chains

bfulton

Reaction score
Iv checked on the chains, to add some sizzle. Are there any that can be flipped off or retracted or something for times when the sizzle isn’t wanted?
it looks like all of them are all on, all the time.

?

bfulton

Reaction score
Thanks for the link! I tried the 'original' Camco product. It fit only 6mm cymbal stands. The one you've provided looks like an 8mm. It says it fits modern cymbal stands.
That's kinda classy, ain't it??

egw

Reaction score
I've always had good luck just wrapping the chain up around the post of the stand (up on top of the bell) when I don't want the sizzle. It does tend to slide back down after a while, but you just have to fix it every couple of songs.

bfulton

Reaction score
Very simple. I can also get a length of the chain used for pull cords at my local hardware store.
Incidentally, I looked into the Camco-type arm at the link provided. Not unreasonable at 32 bucks.
When I did the shipping estimate it came back at 58 bucks. From Oregon to Michigan! I sent an email ... because I'm pretty sure that a mite high.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I use a chain and make a loop in the chain and duct tape it. Using a bigger loop makes it quicker to get on and off the cymbal.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favorite sizzle chain is the type that comes with certain toilet tank "flapper valves". I save 'em whenever I change one out. These chains have large (6mm x 10mm) links made from thin (1mm) wire, very light in weight; to me, the sizzle is more pronounced than the "bead chain" often used, more like a lightweight rivet - plus, there is less dampening of the cymbal. I sometimes add a light key ring near the end of the chain (see pic); this adds to the sizzle effect and is a handy way to shorten the chain by looping the key ring over the cymbal stand shaft.

4D353762-AF6E-442F-94C0-523CC34D495F.jpeg

bfulton

Reaction score
the toilet tank chain is a killer idea! It meets all the criteria. Poifect.
The Camco sizzler is great but fits only on vintage 6mm stands.
Olympic drums got back to me. Of course, the shipping calculator is way off, that’s the good news. The bad news is that they don’t have any of the newer design ‘Camco’ in stock.

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
I'm wanting to pick one of these up. I was leaning ProMark Sizzler due to it seemingly choking the cymbal the least, judging from youtube comparisons. Maybe I'll have to find a toilet chain haha..
Anyone compare the different products, or have any other cool DIY solutions?
Could try to find the ultra-1990s wallet chain I had when I was ten? :)

Old Dog

Reaction score
They're cheap, too ........ !
Seriously. I spend like $4 on a bathtub drain chain. If its not needed, I'll REMOVE IT. $58 for a retractable chain? Come on. Even $32 sounds like lunacy to me. JMO

bfulton

Reaction score
I just got in touch with a drummer who makes a pretty cool sizzle ‘arm.’ This is what I’d been using before I started asking the question. I smacked mine with a stick and it didn’t take it well.
The new design has an improved hinge between the two arms.
I ordered another, cuz it’s a good product, made by a good guy.
His name is Gary, pm if you’d like his email.
27 shipped

Attachments

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok- both suck. They choke too much and don’t sizzle enough. Sticking with rivets.
Not too surprised at this observation. I had high hopes back a decade or two for those sizzlers that combined a heavy bead chain with a special top felt topped with a plastic disk - can't remember the brand, but one of the majors - nor can I find one of the several I owned at the time. All I remember is that they choked the hell out of my thinner rides.

Those gadgets that use rigid arms to dangle light sizzlers over the cymbal certainly sound good, but they offer a pretty big target for the inevitable errant stick strike ...... in fact, any of these "non invasive" sizzle options are vulnerable. One does learn to play around the chain, but I've certainly flipped more than one chain clean off the cymbal despite my best efforts ....... !

Mike

bfulton

Reaction score
I’m hoping the new-ish design will hold the arm out of the way. It’s got a thick rubber washer and a metal ‘crown’ to hold it (if I’m seeing the picture eight).
I like the rivets to hit the light side of the cymbal. Obviously, the heavy side rotates to the bottom.
preaching to the choir!
It’ll be here this week. I’ll review.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Iv checked on the chains, to add some sizzle. Are there any that can be flipped off or retracted or something for times when the sizzle isn’t wanted?
it looks like all of them are all on, all the time.

?
I remember talking to a famous Jazz drummer (Kenny Washington?...maybe) and I noticed he was using a short length of chain, like you might get at a hardware store, but it only went half way down the cymbal.
When he didn't need it, he just flicked it around the post with his stick and no sizzle.
When he needed the sizzle back, he flicked it again and it unwrapped and laid on the cymbal.
Slick little setup that worked really nicely.

Elvis

JazzDoc

Reaction score
OK, now lemme teach you something...

JazzDoc's Cymbal Sizzler©

You'll need:
  • leather cup washer (plumber's pump cup washer) w/ center hole large enough to fit over threaded cymbal stand stud
  • metal ball chain w/ decent size beads
  • leather belt punch with assortment of punch sizes
  • sharp knife
Leather Sizzler by Mark Polis, MD, on Flickr

Leather Sizzler_a by Mark Polis, MD, on Flickr

Leather Sizzler_c by Mark Polis, MD, on Flickr

Leather Sizzler_b by Mark Polis, MD, on Flickr

Punch holes as shown and cut leather to connect the holes - larger hole (near the center hole) to enable effortless sliding passage of chain through to desired length, smaller hole more peripherally to entrap chain between two beads.

You'll need to use a Camco T-nut cymbal holder like I do or else devise your own method of retaining the leather washer enabling you to pluck it off as desired (one option is no wing nut at all).

That is all.

Latest posts