The ‘sizzle’ chains

Bullseye_Doc_Holiday

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it's really worth noting that the sizzlers (Pro-mark or otherwise) only work if the cymbal has a certain (read: a lot) of vertical pitch to it. Otherwise it chokes the cymbal too much. Especially where I usually want the "sizzle" effect, which is to fill space and typically a lower volumes. Answer: rivets.

JazzDoc

Reaction score
I think it's really worth noting that the sizzlers (Pro-mark or otherwise) only work if the cymbal has a certain (read: a lot) of vertical pitch to it. Otherwise it chokes the cymbal too much. Especially where I usually want the "sizzle" effect, which is to fill space and typically a lower volumes. Answer: rivets.
Which is another advantage of the leather washer sizzler idea. :tongue9:

bfulton

Reaction score
Okay. I bought the new-ish modified Camco arm, from the drummer in FLA. It’s a pretty good design. Works well, and using the rubber spacer and washer he provides, can be snugged down so it doesn’t get hit by a stick.
I might try making one mod: to put some kind of (something) under the hinge to hold the rivet holder up a bit off the cymbal.

Attachments

bfulton

Reaction score
Yes. The bar that holds the rivets, while very light, minimally chokes the cymbal. I mean a tiny bit. If I can get it raised just 1/8 inch, only the rivets will touch the cymbal. I made a 9 second video.... but there’s no way to attach it.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You could drill a series of "lightening holes" in the lower hinged arm; it would look like the fixed upper part with the holes intended to adjust for cymbal diameter. I don't think that would weaken the rig significantly, but you could cut the weight by 20 - 30%

Anything you did to stiffen the hinge action would defeat its ability to move with the cymbal .....

M.

bfulton

Reaction score
Excellent input. I recall doing that to certain car parts to reduce weight.
And you’re right. I hadn’t considered how it would affect the folding.
It’s a nice piece of gear.

ggmerino

Reaction score
OK- Forgot to mention my absolute favorite cheap alternative to rivets. Pennies! or any other coin with a small thin strip of tape half on the coin and half on the cymbal near the edge. Works great- even better than rivets sometimes and beats the crap out of chains.

Can try dimes, nickels etc. Invariably, 2-3 pennies work the best and the older the penny the better. Something about the patina and the metal forming crystals and becoming sonically superior with age as well as a long-forgotten penny alloy mix. ;) Actually, I think the older pennies are just a bit heavier.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OK- Forgot to mention my absolute favorite cheap alternative to rivets. Pennies! or any other coin with a small thin strip of tape half on the coin and half on the cymbal near the edge. Works great- even better than rivets sometimes and beats the crap out of chains.

Can try dimes, nickels etc. Invariably, 2-3 pennies work the best and the older the penny the better. Something about the patina and the metal forming crystals and becoming sonically superior with age as well as a long-forgotten penny alloy mix. ;) Actually, I think the older pennies are just a bit heavier.

So I had to try this on my 22" 2002 ride and it works pretty well....thanks! Cheapest solution out there for sure. :)

Latest posts