The 10 Best New Drum Kits in the World Right Now!

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I'm here to do two things, chew gum and post the latest Top 10 lists in the world of drumming, and I'm all out of gum (though I may get a gum-wood kit for that extra-sticky sound).

Musicradar.com (The No. 1 website for musicians) reveals its 10 Best Drum Kits in the World Right Now:

Let us know that you agree.

Here's the Musicradar writeup:

So many drums, so little room to store them all. This year’s hottest new kits include ones designed for maximum portability and practicality, new top shelf, professional level beauties crafted in the most exotic woods imaginable, and high-performance mid-range kits for players looking to upgrade their sound without breaking the bank.

Despite the quality of the competition, our winner for Best New Drum Kit this year beat the closest contender by almost double the number of votes as Tama update one of drumming’s most iconic and respected line of drum kits.

10. DS Drums Rebel

9. Gretsch Brooklyn Micro

8. Pear Session Studio Select

7. Sonor Prolite

6. Ludwig Anniversary Legacy Mahogany

5. Mapex Design Lab Cherry Bomb

4. Yamaha Live Custom Hybrid Oak

3. DW Collector’s Pure Almond

2. Pearl Masters Maple/Gum Series

1. Tama Starclassic Walnut/Birch
starclassic.jpg

More details and pics at https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-10-best-new-drum-kits-in-the-world-right-now

Last edited:

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you're just talking about kits that are new this year, it's hard to argue with that list overall.

vinnyrac63

Reaction score
All the same stuff. Boring. The only two companies that pique my interest are A&F and British Drum Company. (And hats off to Gretsch and Ludwig for continuing to revise and improve because every other drum maker in the world seems dead set on copying your formulas)

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
All the same stuff. Boring. The only two companies that pique my interest are A&F and British Drum Company. (And hats off to Gretsch and Ludwig for continuing to revise and improve because every other drum maker in the world seems dead set on copying your formulas)
Actual the Mapex kit is the one kit trying some cool and revolutionary ideas, but because it is Mapex, most won't dig to find out what they are.

vinnyrac63

Reaction score
Actual the Mapex kit is the one kit trying some cool and revolutionary ideas, but because it is Mapex, most won't dig to find out what they are.
From the marketing promo for the Mapex Cherry Bomb set: "Cherry Bomb system is a hybrid of the classic sounds of beloved vintage drums...."

Chasing the Trane, so to speak. No offense. They're wooden cylinders with membranes stretched across the openings. If it sounds good, play it.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
From the marketing promo for the Mapex Cherry Bomb set: "Cherry Bomb system is a hybrid of the classic sounds of beloved vintage drums...."

Chasing the Trane, so to speak. No offense. They're wooden cylinders with membranes stretched across the openings. If it sounds good, play it.
Don’t forget those magnetic tom mounts that everyone is using. Not to mention the adjustable bend in the floor tom leg to adjust resonance. Just need to dig a bit. :)

PaulD

Reaction score
It strikes me that Tama wouldn't have used walnut if they weren't forced into it.

Mapex certainly makes some nice stuff, but nothing in the drum industry seems particularly innovative relative to other sorts of mechanical consumer products. If you want innovation, look at high end bicycles.

The Tama Star tom mounts with the isolation bushings are somewhat innovative, but they just borrowed that idea from engine mounts and suspension arms on cars and reapplied it.

vinnyrac63

Reaction score
Just to be clear so no one thinks I'm moving the goal posts on this topic: The reason why I think A&F and BDC are "interesting" are for separate reasons: 1) A&F's drums seem to fit a particular musical niche. If I were playing in any sort of acoustic, roots, singer song writer, sort of gig, I would be looking into these drums. To my ear they seem just right-big fat bass drums, woody toms, really interesting snares-all begging to be hit with anything besides a stick. And they're hand made by artisans. If I were going to pay boutique prices I would prefer a kit that has something more going on than just wooden hoops and clips slapped on as an after market option. I would not use A&F for jazz (not enough mids) nor I would I use them for any amplified rock music (the low end would get lost in the electric guitars). 2) As for the British Drum Company, I've been saying for years, that since Yamaha ceased operations in Japan, the drum world has been deficit for a high quality birch drum kit. (yes I acknowledge that the Chinese R.C. sound great so don't jump on me) But I think British Drum Company's Legend drums are different and fill that gaping birch hole. The finishes are unique, their hardware is original, (I do believe a tom mount is in the offing) and their cold pressed shell manufacturing is very detailed. Check out the video on youtube & check out Shane Demo'ing a red Legend kit. That bass drum is murder) 3) Though A&F won't be putting Gretsch or Ludwig out of business Stateside, I will say that if Sonor isn't careful, British Drum Co. could very quickly become the No. 1 European drum maker. The price v. quality v. innovation is all there. That SQ2 thing has reached the silk hat phase. (in fact that's pretty much what the Namm show's been about for the last 10 years-over pimped out drum kits) I much prefer the good old Sonor days when they made a few lines with a few sizes and a few finish choices. But I digress. The Horst Link era is gone, but I really wish a drum company would try to emulate what they had going back then, but then again, I keep hoping that Paiste will re-issue the Sound Creation Dark Ride, so brand me a naive little drum snob. Tx for the Vent.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I much prefer the good old Sonor days when they made a few lines with a few sizes and a few finish choices.
Vinny, I'd say Sonor is still doing exactly what you say: Aside from the fully customizable SQ2s, there's 3 production lines: Prolite, SQ1, and the Vintage Series. Sizes are limited and finishes are definitely sparse among the three.

Also, you mentioned that the drum world has been deficit for a high quality birch drum kit. Have you ever played an SQ1 set? They're top shelf; excellent birch drums. I briefly owned a set of the new Chinese RCs, but moved them along in favor of a set of SQ1s in the same sizes. The RCs were alright, but the SQ1s were better, to me. And speaking of Shane: check out the DCP video of him playing a black set of SQ1s if you get a chance. They are impressive.

vinnyrac63

Reaction score
Vinny, I'd say Sonor is still doing exactly what you say: Aside from the fully customizable SQ2s, there's 3 production lines: Prolite, SQ1, and the Vintage Series. Sizes are limited and finishes are definitely sparse among the three.

Also, you mentioned that the drum world has been deficit for a high quality birch drum kit. Have you ever played an SQ1 set? They're top shelf; excellent birch drums. I briefly owned a set of the new Chinese RCs, but moved them along in favor of a set of SQ1s in the same sizes. The RCs were alright, but the SQ1s were better, to me. And speaking of Shane: check out the DCP video of him playing a black set of SQ1s if you get a chance. They are impressive.
Are the AQ1 Scandi Birch shells? British Drum Company Legend shells are Scandinavian Birch.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are the AQ1 Scandi Birch shells? British Drum Company Legend shells are Scandinavian Birch.
No, the AQ1s are Chinese entry-level birch shells of undetermined origin. But the German SQ1s are med-heavy 7-ply/7mm Scandinavian Birch shells (bass drums are 10-ply/10mm), and they sound superb.

Here is the DCP video I was referring to:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Too bad JM's aren't in that list. I'd put my JM's at the top. Just sayin...

Latest posts