The 10 Biggest Jerk Drummers of All Time!

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
and in the first case the actual drum outfit itself (while conceding the likely affable nature of Bozzio himself)
Exactly. For anyone else a huge kit like that would put you in that category. But Terry isn't playing it like a drum set. He’s playing it like an orchestra.

And he’s one of the sweetest guys you’ll ever meet. I had a gig last week where the back line kit had no cymbals. Terry personally ran over to DW and delivered me a set about 10 minutes before showtime.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Can someone fill me in as to why Meg White is on here? As far as I know, all she did was play with her then-husband in the White Stripes and, once they broke up, settled down out of the public eye. Nothing “jerky” there IMO
I love Meg White. I thought it was cool she and Jack were divorced, but told reporters they were brother and sister.

Quoting the article: "if you're gonna play virtually the same beat for every song, play it with some balls."

I think Dale Bozzio landed Terry Bozzio on the list.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's just beautiful! I read years ago in MD about his tech and the particulars of his kit, which only had nine pedals at that time. He told of how they would go antiquing in towns they were touring, with Bozzio looking for collectible pens, and I decided then and there that he's in that rare category of musicians that would be a nice guy to talk to and know even if drums were banned from the allowed topics (Stewart Copeland being another).

As I mentioned, this is nothing more than the current style of aggressive writing meant to sell ad views, a la "You won't believe what this mother does to her baby", "Famous doctor says, 'I urge all Americans to flush this fruit down the can'", "Sprinkle this spice on your pizza and YOU WON'T EAT IT ANY OTHER WAY....(and you better not or Alexa will spy on you)", ad inf. Glad it was shared, entertaining to see what the other side thinks.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I had a lot of famous drummers ride with me between cities when I worked for Pearl and Zildjian. The only one on that list I've met is Terry Bozzio, and he was super cool.

I'll make a list of drummers I have met, that are/were great guys (in no order):

Chad Smith
Mike Mangini
Virgil Donati
Danny Gotlieb
Chester Thompson
JR. Robinson
Billy Cobham
Greg Bissonette
Steve Ferrone
And of course, Terry Bozzio

I shan't mention the handful who weren't great guys...

Tanabata

Reaction score
I've met some famous drummers that were absolutely wonderful and kind people..... love them....... wish I could remember them all, but top of the list is Max Roach, Al Harewood, Keith Copeland, Bernard Purdie, Barry Altschul.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
VB, sir, in your vast research regarding 'top ten' lists, might you have acquired an opinion as to who are the top ten, 'top ten' list makers that need to shut the fudge up? Is the Dullass Observer on it?

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
1 - Ginger Baker
2 - Ginger Baker
3 - Ginger Baker
4 - Ginger Baker
5 - Ginger Baker
6 - Ginger Baker
7 - Ginger Baker
8 - Ginger Baker
9 - Ginger Baker
10 - Ginger Baker

Honorable mention - Ginger Baker
Yep.
Buddy had his bad moments, but he also had plenty of good ones. Buddy never had a movie made about him, entitled, "Beware Mr. Buddy."
Ginger seems to have taken "cantankerous" to another level. He's the only drummer I would actively avoid meeting.

cozy4ever

Reaction score
Yep.
Buddy had his bad moments, but he also had plenty of good ones. Buddy never had a movie made about him, entitled, "Beware Mr. Buddy."
Ginger seems to have taken "cantankerous" to another level. He's the only drummer I would actively avoid meeting.

Personally I don't think I'd have the time of my life dealing with Neil Peart.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I concur... Terry Bozzio is the salt of the Earth and a gentleman, ALWAYS!
Yep.
On the other hand, there are no Ginger Baker Bus Tapes.

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I met Mr Bozzio once and he was patient & professional. A couple years later I saw him verbally shred someone at a clinic who wouldn’t shut up about Black Page and kept interrupting other folks questions. I would say he lost his patience, and took control of the room. I think the offender was removed from the theater.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
One thing that's obvious from this thread is that none of us (at least on this thread) seem to be famous. I'd like to see how us amateurs would deal with constantly being bothered in public and constantly being criticized on the internet. If it happened to me, I bet it would make me seem like a jerk, to say the least.

Tanabata

Reaction score
One thing that's obvious from this thread is that none of us (at least on this thread) seem to be famous. I'd like to see how us amateurs would deal with constantly being bothered in public and constantly being criticized on the internet. If it happened to me, I bet it would make me seem like a jerk, to say the least.
Not being famous doesn't mean you're an amateur.

Latest posts