The 10 Hardest Songs to Play on Drums

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
"Sometimes you have to use the "Higher force" which you may think is the "lower force" but is in actuality the much "Higher force" !

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
For some folks, Radar Love can be tricky to perform naturally .

If I was auditioning drummers , I'd have them do Sissy Strut and Chameleon just to get an idea .

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Why all the hating? This is like those other two drum forums... :(

I'm just playing around with my tongue firmly in my cheek. Seemed like the proper place to overplay and feign the pearl clutch pose.
This one really cracked me up ... "10 hardest songs to play on the drums" ... how the hell do you even quantify something like that? So ridiculous and idiotic. This is clear evidence that eugenics is a topic for a table discussion in the very near future ... so much disruptive DNA out there evidently.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
This melody is a bugger ; because the hits come on the opposite side.. even Philly gets flummed a little once or twice...

( 0:21 ) course they probably ran it down twice total maybe 6 times
still the 'hits' are on the right side of wrong right

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Sometimes with "tough" songs, when played along with the other parts (musicians) you get carried along..
and your own body and mind sort it out.
For everything to fall "into place" it helps to have the other "parts" around you..
So true! How many times as a young player did I sit down with other musicians, and an elusive, difficult part just sort of “happened” out of me? Suddenly I’d be thinking to myself, “Hey, I’m actually doing it!“

Let’s hear it for collaboration. Then again that’s how those “difficult parts“ would’ve been written in the first place, as the drummer was only responding to what the other cats in the band were doing around him.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This melody is a bugger ; because the hits come on the opposite side.. even Philly gets flummed a little once or twice...

course they probably ran it down twice total maybe 6 times
still the 'hits' are on the right side of wrong right

It's songs like that that lead me believe the jazz soft touch on the snare is derived from a state of absolute panic and confusion. That song floored me. NO idea how I missed this one over the years ... I've never heard it before. A genuine 'thanks' for posting it.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
The long (trumpet) notes land on the (short) snare hand making it extremely clever to get thru. It's wild 1959.
It's easy to get backwards -thru the head (melody in that song
but sometimes you just 'let it fall; (un-think it and (just) feel it) and it works.
You see/hear at 0:21-23 how it confronts him and its puzzling.
regarding panic and confusing (it's) more "coaxing the love' out; tenderness with firm.
gentle making music

Last edited:

Johnny K

Reaction score
I didn't know there was a whole website dedicated to this crap !

There is a list for everything

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
There is a list for everything

So THAT'S where he finds all these lists.

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
Now that I look at the long haired drummer list, some don't even have long hair !

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's songs like that that lead me believe the jazz soft touch on the snare is derived from a state of absolute panic and confusion. That song floored me. NO idea how I missed this one over the years ... I've never heard it before. A genuine 'thanks' for posting it.
Everything's off the Three... and there's only time for one Hit.
A ruff at the most.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've never mocked Keltner.
I was having a laugh. It wasn't serious ... "BobbySocks" should have given a clue that it was a joke. I was doing the Pearl Clutch dance with you. I thought you of all people would have joked back.
It was a hand out to you.

cozy4ever

Reaction score
Damn, yes! That's the first thing I thought while reading this thread.

Ikr, it is really beginning to put me off of this place. I have already had multiple people attack me in two separate threads pretty recently and I am beginning to lose my patience with some of these guys. I won't name names but they know who they are and it's always the same 3 or 4 users in question. It's getting as bad as Drummerworld on the pretentiousness scale as well, if you aren't a 65 year old bitter retired "jazz cat" it's like you have no business being here...I really don't need the aggravation tbh...might or might not stick around much longer, I'll wait and see how it goes.