The 10 Hardest Songs to Play on Drums

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ikr, it is really beginning to put me off of this place. I have already had multiple people attack me in two separate threads pretty recently and I am beginning to lose my patience with some of these guys. I won't name names but they know who they are and it's always the same 3 or 4 users in question. It's getting as bad as Drummerworld on the pretentiousness scale as well, if you aren't a 65 year old bitter retired "jazz cat" it's like you have no business being here...I really don't need the aggravation tbh...might or might not stick around much longer, I'll wait and see how it goes.
I've seen a few guys that are a pain but I just simply ignore if it bothers me. The funny sarcasm I can handle because Its funny but as long as you don't offend anyone. I always try to be polite and respect everybody. If some others can't be that way, too bad. Don't let those people put you off buddy. There are more nice guys here than the ones that are not. Don't sweat it and have fun. And don't leave! We would miss whatever positive contribution you might have. If nobody gives them the time of day, they will be the ones to leave.:)

cozy4ever

Reaction score
I've seen a few guys that are a pain but I just simply ignore if it bothers me. The funny sarcasm I can handle because Its funny but as long as you don't offend anyone. I always try to be polite and respect everybody. If some others can't be that way, too bad. Don't let those people put you off buddy. There are more nice guys here than the ones that are not. Don't sweat it and have fun. And don't leave! We would miss whatever positive contribution you might have. If nobody gives them the time of day, they will be the ones to leave.:)

Thanks bro, good to hear from somebody positive around here 8)

jansara

Reaction score
Ikr, it is really beginning to put me off of this place. I have already had multiple people attack me in two separate threads pretty recently and I am beginning to lose my patience with some of these guys. I won't name names but they know who they are and it's always the same 3 or 4 users in question. It's getting as bad as Drummerworld on the pretentiousness scale as well, if you aren't a 65 year old bitter retired "jazz cat" it's like you have no business being here...I really don't need the aggravation tbh...might or might not stick around much longer, I'll wait and see how it goes.
Jazz has nothing to do with it, but I get your drift. I like Jazz - along with dozens of other styles and feels, none limited to western music. I may be “old and retired”, but I'm definitely not “bitter”. Matter of fact, I'm happier than a pig in the mud with my life and the things I enjoy.

So when I reply tongue-in-cheek to your post, it's not because I'm poking fun at you, it's because IMO “Best Of” or “Worst Of” or “Greatest” or “Lousiest” etc, etc., posts are little more than cheap popularity contests. As a pro, I have very little to no use for them.

I think you need to read the room. The guy sitting at the bar with his back turned to you isn't ignoring you or saying you have no business being there – he's listening to what you have to say. So when you put the sticks down, he's entitled to his opinion as much as anyone. It's a public place. If it's not what you want to hear, so be it. That's the gig.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This melody is a bugger ; because the hits come on the opposite side.. even Philly gets flummed a little once or twice...

( 0:21 ) course they probably ran it down twice total maybe 6 times
still the 'hits' are on the right side of wrong right
Game on.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's a good bit faster than this One

Speed wasn't the point of posting the Philly one ; )
Max owned the racetrack speeds.
When I saw him (Max) (around 91) his clarity was so clear; he measured out everything so simply; I'm like 'what'.
I stared at him from the side- for an hour and a half. Lucky me.
On a rental-type 5 piece power tom, Black Sonor (or Pearl can't remember) set.

Last edited:

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a good bit faster than this One

Speed wasn't the point of posting the Philly one ; )
Max owned the racetrack speeds.
When I saw him (Max) (around 91) his clarity was so clear; he measured out everything so simply; I'm like 'what'.
I stared at him from the side- for an hour and a half. Lucky me.
On a rental-type 5 piece power tom, Black Sonor (or Pearl can't remember) set.
Absolutely!!
Here’s one on the other end of the spectrum.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So when I reply tongue-in-cheek to your post, it's not because I'm poking fun at you, it's because IMO “Best Of” or “Worst Of” or “Greatest” or “Lousiest” etc, etc., posts are little more than cheap popularity contests. As a pro, I have very little to no use for them.
I'm curious, if you are a pro and have no use for these "list" threads, why would you read them or even respond to them at all?
I'm just asking because I personally don't read and definitely don't respond to something that I have no interest in. I am a hobbyist drummer and a professional pilot by trade and whether I'm reading about drums or planes, I find "lists" to be entertaining sometimes. I don't see where the fact of being a professional has anything to do with not having any use for these "lists". I think they are primarily made for entertainment. Like I said, I'm just asking being curious and I'm asking respectfully.

cozy4ever

Reaction score
I'm curious, if you are a pro and have no use for these "list" threads, why would you read them or even respond to them at all?
I'm just asking because I personally don't read and definitely don't respond to something that I have no interest in. I am a hobbyist drummer and a professional pilot by trade and whether I'm reading about drums or planes, I find "lists" to be entertaining sometimes. I don't see where the fact of being a professional has anything to do with not having any use for these "lists". I think they are primarily made for entertainment. Like I said, I'm just asking being curious and I'm asking respectfully.

Also I like how he drops the "pro" comment as if to assume that I only play at hobby level because I am from a younger generation and don't enjoy listening to arrogant strangers insulting and lecturing me, and assuming that I am ignorant of even the basics whenever I don't agree with them on things.

I am a half time semi professional player and this is one of the biggest reasons why...bc if I had to spend full time hours dealing with your typical narcissist musicians without a break I'd go barking mad.

I was not just talking about these Best Drummers lists, I was talking about the way that this forum is becoming in general. I've had this stuff happen on pretty much every random subject I've talked about lately. You can't talk about anything without them either running off at the mouth, picking arguments with you out of thin air or bragging on and on about all their super expensive collectible mint kits and so forth....very off putting at times imo.

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1. K. Stockhausen, Zyklus No. 9 (1959)
2. Igor Stravinsky, L'Histoire du soldat (The Soldier's Tale) 1918
3. Dave Brubeck Quartet, Blue Rondo a la Turk (Joe Morello)
4. Sir Lord Baltimore, Pumped Up (John Garner, drums & vocals) 1970
5. Count Basie Orchestra, Li'l Darlin', by Neal Hefti (Sonny Payne) 1957
6. Cactus, Parchman Farm, by Bukka White, adapted by Mose Allison (Carmine Appice) 1970
7. Most Zappa compositions
8. Reproducing Keith Moon's parts on songs by The Who
9. Capt Beefheart's book of tunes.
10. Excerpts from the Charles Wilcoxon book.......you know which one.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Well, I tend not to like top ten lists either, but am totally confused by the animosities expressed here.

This said, two things struck me about the list. First, I'm so out of the loop that I don't even recognize nine of the songs. (I wish this was because I'm a cool old jazz cat, but unfortunately it's because I don't keep up.) Second, the song I recognize, "Good Times, Bad Times," is absolutely correct. I remember my rock band during the early 70's wanting to cover that song, and I had to tell them, sorry, I simply can't play it. I got the beat, liked it, and admired Bonham for pulling it off, but no way could I hold the song together trying to play it.

Instead of moving to jazz or folk (well, I actually did play both) I moved to . . . drum roll please . . . country! In fact, I started playing in country bands with the fathers of the kids in my rock band.

And never looked back.

To me, country is simple--hey, I can play boom-chick all night long--but the weird thing is that people actually regard me as a good country drummer. Are there bad ones? There must be because people like my country drumming.

Maybe it's time for country drummers to develop a little snobbery?

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, I tend not to like top ten lists either, but am totally confused by the animosities expressed here.

This said, two things struck me about the list. First, I'm so out of the loop that I don't even recognize nine of the songs. (I wish this was because I'm a cool old jazz cat, but unfortunately it's because I don't keep up.) Second, the song I recognize, "Good Times, Bad Times," is absolutely correct. I remember my rock band during the early 70's wanting to cover that song, and I had to tell them, sorry, I simply can't play it. I got the beat, liked it, and admired Bonham for pulling it off, but no way could I hold the song together trying to play it.

Instead of moving to jazz or folk (well, I actually did play both) I moved to . . . drum roll please . . . country! In fact, I started playing in country bands with the fathers of the kids in my rock band.

And never looked back.

To me, country is simple--hey, I can play boom-chick all night long--but the weird thing is that people actually regard me as a good country drummer. Are there bad ones? There must be because people like my country drumming.

Well done Old Drummer. I revel in the civility.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

And never looked back.

Seriously....

Guy posts a topic and people show up to tell him, not only how much they hate the topic, but (almost lol) how much they hate him.

Like putting a sign up that says "Italian Cusine" and people coming in to tell you how much they hate Italian food AND the guy who put the sign up.....lol.

Or the moth blaming the flame for burning his wings off....lol.

Love-(old school) Country drummers! Ain't as easy as it looks....

Good post OldDrummer.

Latest posts