The 100 Greatest Metal Songs of the Century ... So Far

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So does this also insinuate what’s “better”.....20th or 21st century “metal” or does that come after they determine the bestest 20th century metal, then have a playoff for “all time”. (Those iron age folks rocked pretty hard....just sayin as they’ve not been spotified as far as I know...)
One thing having older jazz fanboys quibbling with younger rock fanboys as to who was the dude or who was/is most poopular.........now we have older metal heads bickering with younger metal heads.......? ;) ;)
Super kudo’s for giving Gojira 3 VB starz!!!!! You’ve been lucky enough to see them three times or they are just so much better than some of the others....

Drop D: dun-nuh, duh-nuh, dun-nuh... eh, close enough? Maybe? :)
Nope...like the old saying....close enough for rock n roll....not metal though.
bt

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So does this also insinuate what’s “better”.....20th or 21st century “metal” or does that come after they determine the bestest 20th century metal, then have a playoff for “all time”. (Those iron age folks rocked pretty hard....just sayin as they’ve not been spotified as far as I know...)
One thing having older jazz fanboys quibbling with younger rock fanboys as to who was the dude or who was/is most poopular.........now we have older metal heads bickering with younger metal heads.......? ;) ;)
Super kudo’s for giving Gojira 3 VB starz!!!!! You’ve been lucky enough to see them three times or they are just so much better than some of the others....

Nope...like the old saying....close enough for rock n roll....not metal though.
bt
I'll be seeing Gojira for the fourth time in October with Alien Weaponry*.

21st Century Metal is better in terms of variety, vibrancy and involving bands from just about every country in the world, and lots of them play at places that are minutes from my house.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
or actually Deep Purple...who I think were the original heavy metal band

if you listen (as I did last eve; did a deep dive on early Deep Purple (like I didn't know it already) If

You listen to IAN Paice fast single strokes on the snare drum.... stay with me here...... I heard as I listened last evening how those strokes he played became (the) double bass strokes........in later heavy metal.

developing.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll find the video that his strokes on the snare drum (translated later) (by others) into the the double bass moves of later metal. in the meantime...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the thesis is: Paice snare (hand 16ths, 32nds, got translated down to the "bass drums' within and thru-in and out the evolution of metal and it's drummers)

thanks for the pause;
Back to your regularly scheduled program

Last edited:

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Out of all Maiden's tunes, Wicker Man? Not!

EricWN

Reaction score
hahaha! Insert Michael Jackson popcorn eating gif here.
Let's get this thread up to 300 replies.
Good thing you bring M Jackson up - given this list here he should be on it. Seriously- who comes up with that nonsense?

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I think a lot of y’all missed the 21st century part. The list people are into a lot of metal I’m not. Except Power Trip.
RIP Riley Gale.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They...all 100....99 plus the epic track 00....are in one place.....Agoraphobic Nosebleed’s Altered States of America.
All in less than 22 minutes.
bt

Last edited:

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Interesting list for sure. Cool to see Rocky Gray (Evanescence) get some credit, even if it wasn't for his heavier contributions.
Lots of cool names to see on there though. Happy for those dudes.
Anyways, I still maintain that "greatest" lists are silly and absurd.

Clearly, Metal Hammer’s editors have a broad view of what fits in the magazine. Say you’re on the porch having a beer as the sun sets or rises, Cannibal Corpse doesn’t fit every situation, even if your name is Corpsegrinder, right?
How metal can a guy be who plays every claw game he can find and donates the stuffed animals he wins to children?
To your point, my friend knows the guys in Malevolent Creation and apparently they all just listen to like classic rock.