DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it come with a free key?
who asked that.. question

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Even if it was innocent... Do you really want to an object at this price that pretty much gives anybody a knee jerk reaction at best, or at worse, associate you with the ideology? I wouldn't. Although I know swasztikas have been around for thousands of years, the bad connotations are so deeply ingrained in the collective consciousness that, to me, it make this object worthless. It's not like it was played by a famous musician either. It was only a gaudily decorated snare that a forgotten movie star had made for his son's birthday.

120k$ could get you plenty of instruments of significant historical value and of utmost collectibility, that you wouldn't have to defend each and every time somebody lays eyes on them.
Yeah! It may be an amazing drum, but, in my view, that drum has virtually no market value except, maybe, to a very small group who also happen to collect drums. JMO!

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ignorance and opinion tend to run rampant around big ticket items.
Someone will snag this and have an amazing piece of Ludwig history.
All the best to the collector that cashes in.
It is an amazing piece of drumming history for those that understand the significance.
My wife is appreciative that I am not a collector. Hahahahaha

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
William Hart directed and starred in a movie called The Aryan...so...

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
William Hart directed and starred in a movie called The Aryan...so...
From the movie's wiki entry:

"Racism was not new to the western but it had never been articulated in such a sophisticated fashion."[16] Other scholars have labeled this as "perhaps the first film to openly proclaim the doctrine of White supremacy over Native American Indians".[17]

Mr Bennett can post articles from the BBC about how this symbol used to mean something else, this is gonna be hard to spin this...

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From the movie's wiki entry:

"Racism was not new to the western but it had never been articulated in such a sophisticated fashion."[16] Other scholars have labeled this as "perhaps the first film to openly proclaim the doctrine of White supremacy over Native American Indians".[17]

Mr Bennett can post articles from the BBC about how this symbol used to mean something else, this is gonna be hard to spin this...
Besides, the Nazis appropriated the swastika as their logo in 1920 - five years before this snare was made. So even if the employees at Ludwig had no idea at the time, Mr. Hart probably knew what he was doing.

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Exactly

That symbol was a Hindu
Emblem of peace before it was misappropriated by the nazis

That being said it it is pretty much unsellable with that emblem all over it
Not to mention the price and the fact it’s a film star that’s basically unknown to most everyone

Full disclosure

I’m a Jew
The Pima Indians of Arizona used this sign to represent the Winds. I suppose that is why it is on this western themed drum.

Like other comments here, the emblem has been around for over a 1000 years
1621341174920.jpeg

moondrum

Reaction score
Gee, I wish they offered free shipping.
Imagine telling your wife you just bought a used snare drum but you had to sell the house.
How many $50. jazz gigs do you have to play in order to cover the cost of the drum?

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My sisters each have a Yamaha CFX piano of their own. Just short of 200K each. Most importantly, their talent commensurate with those beasts. Just one costs more than the rathole I live in! Having said that I'm sure there's a buyer somewhere.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Exactly

That symbol was a Hindu
Emblem of peace before it was misappropriated by the nazis

That being said it it is pretty much unsellable with that emblem all over it
Not to mention the price and the fact it’s a film star that’s basically unknown to most everyone

Full disclosure

I’m a Jew
Also loosely resembles a four leaf clover (officially) and I can’t remember which was first. I had a fair coin AND a Canadian women’s ice hockey emblem with a Swastika.

I am ancestrally a Jew.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if the swastika did not have such a negative historical link, I think whomever designed it went a little overboard with that symbol! It's an eyesore as is or whether a cross, star, happy face, etc!