The 25 Greatest Rock Bands of All Time!

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
The New Arena website ranked the 25 Greatest Rock Bands of All Time and Mostly Got It Right

25. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

24. Lynyrd Skynyrd

23 Metallica

22. Nirvana

21. The Doors

20. AC/DC

19. The Who

18. Journey

17. Red Hot Chili Peppers

16. Heart

15. Santana

14. Def Leppard

13. Fleetwood Mac

12. Rush

11. The Foo Fighters

10. Guns 'N Roses

9. Black Sabbath

8. Van Halen

7. Pink Floyd

6. Aerosmith

5. Eagles

4. Rolling Stones

3. Queen

2. Led Zeppelin

1. The Beatles

Couple of things -- I've seen 10 of the play live!

I don't think Def Leppard belongs on the list. I'd put Creedence Clearwater Revival in the fifth spot and bump the Eagles don't to 25 or 26. Also, Aerosmith is ranked probably 15 spots too high.

gbow

Reaction score
Yea, swap Aerosmith and The Who, that would put both of them in about the right spot.

Lists... everybody's got one. Lots of things I would change, but then it would be MY list, which is worth just about as much as this one.

gabo

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think this list is as subjective / arguable as everyone's opinion on which drum manufacturers rate as the best. It will be very difficult to quantify and agree in my opinion.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well any list provokes controversy but no Allman Brothers, Dire Straits, SRV and Double Trouble. What were they thinking? Obviously not much

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any list of top 25 rock bands of all time that have
a USA rock band in the top 5 can be dismissed altogether.

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Top 25 things to argue to no end about:
25. best drums
24. greatest guitarists
23. best drummers
22. whether to have a Designated Hitter in the National League ('no')
1. greatest bands

Fleetwood Mac is a rock band? They used to be a blues band, and then.....

RickPlaysDrums

Reaction score
Yea, swap Aerosmith and The Who, that would put both of them in about the right spot.

Lists... everybody's got one. Lots of things I would change, but then it would be MY list, which is worth just about as much as this one.

gabo
I agree. "The Who" should be ranked higher.

Their music appealed to the masses -- main stream, listenable rock. You didn't need to be some sort of "high brow" to understand and enjoy their songs.

In my opinion Townshend, who penned most of their songs, was a great song writer.

As an aside: Daltrey always accused Townshend of saving his best compositions for his solo albums.

Last edited:

cozy4ever

Reaction score
Sometimes I'm actually glad to see Rainbow get snubbed by fools like this. It's a sign that they did something right. Even when ole Blackers decided to go commercial on purpose, they STILL stayed true enough to be all cult & underground. Very cool imo.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would take out Red. hot chili peppers, foo fighters and nirvana ( weren't around long enough for me)
and put in, Kinks, Cream and the Police, The Who should be way higher on the list. Hey we all have our faves.
I agree that RHC, and Foo fighters are questionable. Not a fan, but surprised U2 or KISS didn't make the list.

Latest posts