The 25 Greatest Rock Bands of All Time!

Bonzo442

Reaction score
YES not on the list either they’re not my top band but better than a few on the list but all in all the list was better than I’ve seen some other. Agree also CCR should be on there they had a string of #2 hits never a #1 though.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint anyone, but the (MY) "25 Greatest Rock Bands of All Time"

Are in my collection....and your collection. And my list doesn't look like your list and vice versa...

Lol

Ironicallly...there are only SIX bands on that list I even listen to with any regularity, and probably only 12 total I have even one song of in a hard format.

Bands\artists like The Police, Steely Dan, Chicago (Transit Authority), Johnny Cash, "etc." get far more attention from me.

Last edited:

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint anyone, but the (MY) "25 Greatest Rock Bands of All Time"

Are in my collection....and your collection. And my list doesn't look like your list and vice versa...

Lol

Ironicallly...there are only SIX bands on that list I even listen to with any regularity, and probably only 12 total I have even one song of in a hard format.

Bands\artists like The Police, Steely Dan, Chicago, Johnny Cash, "etc." get far more attention from me.
That is why I asked at the very beginning what is the "Criteria?" What is the measuring stick. The formula?

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree that RHC, and Foo fighters are questionable. Not a fan, but surprised U2 or KISS didn't make the list.
I agree with you U2 and Kiss should be in there, out with Black Sabbath and the Doors (hey its only 25 bands)

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is why I asked at the very beginning what is the "Criteria?" What is the measuring stick. The formula?
I agree....

Sad to overlook all the "bands" that blazed the trail starting in the late 40s early 50s. Although most were marketed as solo artists (Chuck Berry, Elvis, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, 'et al').

Then to have someone actually insinuate that NO USA band should be in the top five? Lol. Every major British band has said they got their inspiration in American Blues, Jazz, Rockabilly and early Rock bands....

But I guess that doesn't mean anything anymore....lol.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
But it’s Kelsey Viellette and the New Arena website ... that’s pretty much the double shot industry standard for lists.

I recall the Top 25 Guitar Solos that ended the discussion between AVH and SRV. That put it all to bed.

... and don’t get me started on their phenomenal 25 Best MIJ Vintage Kits ... what a work.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Choose your "top 25." Then rank all those hundreds to thousands of lists and you'll come up with a pretty good "top 50" to "top 100" list. There won't be much separation in those bands in the 40-100 slots.

No Deep Purple in the top 10-15? That's a huge oversight. They're right up there with Zep and the RS.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Make it "easy".....use truly measurable statistics. Anything else would just be subjective opinion wouldn't it?

How many records have they sold + how many live-show tickets="the winner"....

If I had to guess, Rolling Stones.

Now go backwards from there.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Make it "easy".....use truly measurable statistics. Anything else would just be subjective opinion wouldn't it?

How many records have they sold + how many live-show tickets="the winner"....

If I had to guess, Rolling Stones.

Now go backwards from there.
A band like KISS might top the list.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't ticket sales give an indication of popular / great a band is?

The Grateful Dead sold about 23 million tickets and over 2,314 performances during their entire career from 65 to 95. That does not account for all the post Jerry shows.

Bob Weir will endup being the most recorded artist ever with well over 3000 shows.

Attachments

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A band like KISS might top the list.
So be it...!

Seeing how "Greatest Rock Band EVA!" is already fraught with issues, why not give to a band that at least worked their backsides off for years? Not a fan btw, just trying to be fair...

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Shouldn't ticket sales give an indication of popular / great a band is?

The Grateful Dead sold about 23 million tickets and over 2,314 performances during their entire career from 65 to 95. That does not account for all the post Jerry shows.

Bob Weir will endup being the most recorded artist ever with well over 3000 shows.
I would have NO issue giving a major nod to the Dead in any of it's incarnations-despite the fact that there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for them among the Rock and Roll intelligentsia...lol.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love em or hate em, the numbers speak for themselves and the majority of those millions of ticket sales happened between 85 and 95 when they were well past there prime IMHO and the Stones are making up ground but they are still behind the original GD in total shows with just over 2000. If you throw in the Dead related bands since 95, it's no contest and they will never catch up.

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I honestly believe this to be true.
Led Zeppelin #1
Everyone else was playing 3 blind mice in comparison, and all but a 1-2 will be forgotten.
If the planet is still here in a few hundred years, Led Zeppelin will looked at like classical fans look at Mozart today imo.
Yes, possibly the Beatles, and MJ, and Elvis may still be in conversation occasionally. Zeppelin was on another level.
I realize that's a very bold statement, but if you notice, the generation younger than me (40's), has in large part forgotten about the Beatles, and I don't know anyone under 45 who listens to Elvis (not that some don't)
Go in any HS today, and you're likely to find a tee shirt, or 2. They are standing the test of time better than anyone, and for me, that's how great bands are measured.
IMO anyway

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree....

Sad to overlook all the "bands" that blazed the trail starting in the late 40s early 50s. Although most were marketed as solo artists (Chuck Berry, Elvis, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, 'et al').

Then to have someone actually insinuate that NO USA band should be in the top five? Lol. Every major British band has said they got their inspiration in American Blues, Jazz, Rockabilly and early Rock bands....

But I guess that doesn't mean anything anymore....lol.
Mongrel I have "liked" many of your posts and find your taste in humor, amongst other things, favorable.
I have an open mind and I'd like your detailed opinion that counters mine.
You stated:
"Someone actually insinuate that NO USA rock band should be in the top 5, lol"
-There are 196.9 million square miles on planet earth with 195 countries.
Use every last inch and every country-where a band was founded- and all of the roughly 70 years that rock has been around (so you can include "the bands that blazed the trail in the late 1940's and early 1950's even though they were marketed as solo artists ((Chuck Berry, Elvis, Carl Perkins Jerry Lee Lewis et al.)) to counter the statement made "any list that has a USA rock band should be in the top 5 can be dismissed entirely"
I will then restrict myself to
-One of the 195 countries-where bands were founded-
that has just
-50,356 square miles
and use only
-A very small window of the 70 years
the 5 bands I will counter you with had their first release.
*Nothing wrong with a spirited debate.
*Perhaps your opinion will change my mind regarding the post:
"The 25 Greatest Rock Bands Of All Time".

Last edited:

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When you get past Zep and the Beatles you could put 100 other bands in pretty much any order. The commercial success has to be taken into account as well. Bands like Maiden, Scorpions (U2 and Kiss above) are so huge they are bigger than they were in their heyday.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mongrel I have "liked" many of your posts and find your taste in humor, amongst other things, favorable.
I have an open mind and I'd like your detailed opinion that counters mine.
You stated:
"Someone actually insinuate that NO USA rock band should be in the top 5, lol"
-There are 196.9 million square miles on planet earth with 195 countries.
Use every last inch and every country-where a band was founded- and all of the roughly 70 years that rock has been around (so you can include "the bands that blazed the trail in the late 1940's and early 1950's even though they were marketed as solo artists ((Chuck Berry, Elvis, Carl Perkins Jerry Lee Lewis et al.)) to counter the statement made "any list that has a USA rock band should be in the top 5 can be dismissed entirely"
I will then restrict myself to
-One of the 195 countries-where bands were founded-
that has just
-50,356 square miles
and use only
-A very small window of the 70 years
the bands I will counter you with had their first release.
*Nothing wrong with a spirited debate.
*Perhaps your opinion will change my mind regarding the post:
"The 25 Greatest Rock Bands Of All Time".
Bill Haley and His Comets "Rock Around the Clock"

Your move, Snappy...lol.

ps-thank you for your kind words. The feeling is and has been and I am sure will continue to be mutual.

Last edited: