The 3 Main Bass Drum Head Combos - What are the differences?

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hrmm.. I've never seen a marching bass head that uses Kevlar / Aramid fiber. AFAIK, Aquarian's only marching bass heads were the Power-Tone and Articulator, both of which were standard mylar.
All kinds of R&D experiments were done (I think they even tried kevlar for quints), but only 13 &14" marching snare heads ever made it into production by Remo, as far as I know (I had one for kit by Bear. Still have it actually). In drum corps, we tried out some really weird kevlar/mylar combos for Ludwig. They were terrible.
But no, I've never seen a kevlar bass drum head. That would be like a $400 drum head and it would sound terrible.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When you say “Emad with 1ply on the reso”, does that mean an Evans(or other brand) head that’s 1ply with no internal ring inside the head?
It means I forgot which specific one it is, and I'm too lazy to go pull them out of the case. Sorry.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All kinds of R&D experiments were done (I think they even tried kevlar for quints), but only 13 &14" marching snare heads ever made it into production by Remo, as far as I know (I had one for kit by Bear. Still have it actually). In drum corps, we tried out some really weird kevlar/mylar combos for Ludwig. They were terrible.
But no, I've never seen a kevlar bass drum head. That would be like a $400 drum head and it would sound terrible.
Remo also made 15” Falams, although the Maxes never were introduced in 15”

Clamper86

Reaction score
To me emad has more punch then all of them. I agree super kicks don’t really have a lot of tone tho I use them on two different kick drums. Ps3 is amazing on my deeper kicks. I like the power sonic as well I’m currently using that on a 20x20 birch kick sounds killer. As far as front heads I’ve never cared for any one in particular. I just put it on port it and tune it.
When you say "port it and tune it" does that mean you cut a hole in the head?