The 50 Most Important Drummers of All Time -- Drum Magazine

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
These lists are subjective, and merely entertainment, anyone with half a brain knows that.
Maybe... but then the other half of my brain reminds me of musicology - the scholarly analysis and research-based study of music that people get advanced degrees in. In this case, focusing on historical musicology - or music history - or "who historical did what that later influenced whom".

So while Drum isn't an academic journal per se, it's editor's are not uneducated idiots either. I see know evidence that any part of this list flirts with mere personal choice (the drummer that really influenced me but few others). Sure there are historical judgement calls, but I don't see how that reduces this list to being purely subjective at all.

Granted, many such lists (many that VB have posted) are ignorant click-bait fluff - obviously created by those with little to no knowledge of the subject of our art form. Simply entertainment - for those that find them entertaining (not me). But to paint all such attempts with the same brush really makes no sense - the content of this list (minus VB's nonsensical embellishments) are from subjective and could be used by any student of our art for more than simple entertainment.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Given the gratuitous shots at me, I love your use of "it's editor's" and "know evidence."

Surely, though, someone made a personal subjective choice to not recognize the influence of drummers who happen to be women, under 50 years old and from the half of the world that includes Africa and Asia. Oh, and who are Travis Barker.

Last edited:

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe... but then the other half of my brain reminds me of musicology - the scholarly analysis and research-based study of music that people get advanced degrees in. In this case, focusing on historical musicology - or music history - or "who historical did what that later influenced whom".

So while Drum isn't an academic journal per se, it's editor's are not uneducated idiots either. I see know evidence that any part of this list flirts with mere personal choice (the drummer that really influenced me but few others). Sure there are historical judgement calls, but I don't see how that reduces this list to being purely subjective at all.

Granted, many such lists (many that VB have posted) are ignorant click-bait fluff - obviously created by those with little to no knowledge of the subject of our art form. Simply entertainment - for those that find them entertaining (not me). But to paint all such attempts with the same brush really makes no sense - the content of this list (minus VB's nonsensical embellishments) are from subjective and could be used by any student of our art for more than simple entertainment.
'Talking loud and saying nothing' - James Brown

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can't argue with Bandit's additions. No initial list will have everyone. I agree that Seraphine is a strong influence and also gets left off a lot of these lists. Even Buddy complimented Danny on his original playing. If one had to pick the "sounds of '68-'77", Chicago would be high on the list....and Chicago broke new ground. Was Deep Purple's Ian Paice a trail blazer of sorts? Who was first in that mode?

Last edited:

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can't argue with Bandit's additions. No initial list will have everyone. I agree that Seraphine is a strong influence and also gets left off a lot of these lists. Even Buddy complimented Danny on his original playing. If one had to pick the "sounds of '68-'77", Chicago would be high on the list. Was Deep Purple's Ian Paice a trail blazer of sorts? Who was first?
I agree about Danny and Ian Paice and the OP's point about it being skewed to the US. Many other influential/important drummers outside the US didn't make their "Top 50" list. Like him or not (and I do), you can't have a serious list of the "50 Most Important Drummers Of All Time" and not include Charlie Watts. And while I'm at it, Jeff Porcaro.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Given the gratuitous shots at me, I love your use of "it's editor's" and "know evidence."
oh ouch - you got me on those typos...

Surely, though, someone made a personal subjective choice to not recognize the influence of drummers who happen to be women, under 50 years old and from the half of the world that includes Africa and Asia. Oh, and who are Travis Barker.
So you really think that lists of most significant drum set players created by folks from other countries would be all that different? I would bet maybe 10 out of 50 slots would be different - at most. Which is really not that different than the approx. 10 positions that we could easily disagree on here in the US.

As far as women drummers go - name one woman drummer that figured significantly in the history of the drum set. I'm not talking about a known player - or one that many like - but rather an inspirational game changer. Which granted some of the 50 on this list aren't really either - yet most are. I can't think of any... again can you? So where is all of this subjectivity??

Again I'm not saying this list is in any way definitive - none ever are.

Actually I saw no need to comment at all except poking at until Trilok's "anyone with half a brain" exclamation....

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
oh ouch - you got me on those typos...

So you really think that lists of most significant drum set players created by folks from other countries would be all that different? I would bet maybe 10 out of 50 slots would be different - at most. Which is really not that different than the approx. 10 positions that we could easily disagree on here in the US.

As far as women drummers go - name one woman drummer that figured significantly in the history of the drum set. I'm not talking about a known player - or one that many like - but rather an inspirational game changer. Which granted some of the 50 on this list aren't really either - yet most are. I can't think of any... again can you? So where is all of this subjectivity??

Again I'm not saying this list is in any way definitive - none ever are.

Actually I saw no need to comment at all except poking at until Trilok's "anyone with half a brain" exclamation....
Tmcfour named a couple. I'd point to Viola Smith, a drummer for the NBC Orchestra, who undoubtedly inspired lots of women to pursue drums.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tmcfour named a couple. I'd point to Viola Smith, a drummer for the NBC Orchestra, who undoubtedly inspired lots of women to pursue drums.
Two thoughts - if this were true wouldn't we have seen/read/heard in the 50-70 years since Viola Smith's heyday from some of those women she inspired? You know - "Seeing Viola Smith gave me the courage to pursue a life in drumming" or "One of my biggest influences was... Viola Davis". And yet, I can't recall ever hearing that from anyone.... not in interviews, in person, ever.

But how hard is it to find statements like those from grown-up players today regarding most of the players on this list? Not hard at all. Simply browse through back issues of magazines or heck, simply read the threads here. Most of these names come up regularly.... Viola Smith? Not so much. Heck the same goes for Cindy and Terri Lynne. Or for that matter - Bobby Colomby or Danny Serephine or Ian Paice....

All great drummers for sure - and all attached to some pretty significant music.

But was drumming different from their presence. Did they do anything or participate in anything that was really... first or new or all that different.

No - they are just great players - that sure, influenced some players, but didn't - directly or indirectly - influence all.

And again, I'm not saying every player on Drum's list meets that criteria - but I can understand the argument for the inclusion of most all of them.

Or put another way - how is Viola Davis special to drumming... except for the fact that she was female? How are Cindy and Terri Lynn more special than the dozens of equally well known and talented jazz drummers? If you just look at the significance to drumming?? Male - female. Black - white. What does that have to do with it? Nothing IMO.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Two thoughts - if this were true wouldn't we have seen/read/heard in the 50-70 years since Viola Smith's heyday from some of those women she inspired? You know - "Seeing Viola Smith gave me the courage to pursue a life in drumming" or "One of my biggest influences was... Viola Davis". And yet, I can't recall ever hearing that from anyone.... not in interviews, in person, ever.

But how hard is it to find statements like those from grown-up players today regarding most of the players on this list? Not hard at all. Simply browse through back issues of magazines or heck, simply read the threads here. Most of these names come up regularly.... Viola Smith? Not so much. Heck the same goes for Cindy and Terri Lynne. Or for that matter - Bobby Colomby or Danny Serephine or Ian Paice....

All great drummers for sure - and all attached to some pretty significant music.

But was drumming different from their presence. Did they do anything or participate in anything that was really... first or new or all that different.

No - they are just great players - that sure, influenced some players, but didn't - directly or indirectly - influence all.

And again, I'm not saying every player on Drum's list meets that criteria - but I can understand the argument for the inclusion of most all of them.

Or put another way - how is Viola Davis special to drumming... except for the fact that she was female? How are Cindy and Terri Lynn more special than the dozens of equally well known and talented jazz drummers? If you just look at the significance to drumming?? Male - female. Black - white. What does that have to do with it? Nothing IMO.
Just because someone isnt famous doesnt mean they cant be influential. There is no way you can no how influential any one particular drummer has been unless you set up some kind of actual scientific query (cue zenstat here). Who people mention in drum magazines is a very small percentage of the overall population of drummers. There could be some drummer unbeknownst to you who has had a vast and significant influence.

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can't argue with Bandit's additions. No initial list will have everyone. I agree that Seraphine is a strong influence and also gets left off a lot of these lists. Even Buddy complimented Danny on his original playing. If one had to pick the "sounds of '68-'77", Chicago would be high on the list....and Chicago broke new ground. Was Deep Purple's Ian Paice a trail blazer of sorts? Who was first in that mode?
Agreed about Seraphine. Buddy also complimented Danelli, who also unfairly gets left off these "lists."

JOE COOL

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
yea both dino and carmine were influential drummers in the 1960s......and i would also have liked to seen sonny payne on that list