The Agony of Buzz

ryevick

Reaction score
No springs in my lugs. They use plastic inserts. I guess I need to start check the roundness of hoops. I wish I had a 100% flat something to verify they aren't warped as well.

Last edited:

ryevick

Reaction score
It's definitely head buzz, for what ever reason. I just was trying some more tuning adjustments.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the clip, I think I know what it is: larger toms often exhibit a "bouncing basketball" noise from reflections of the bright attack within the hard shell. Like a small room with echo/reverb. The more muffled the heads are, the more obvious this noise becomes.
As far as I know, there is only one remedy: to line parts of the shell with cloth or just tissue paper, either taping it to the shell for a short fix or removing the screws, puncutring the cloth and mounting it to the screws.
Here is a video:

Another one below. I think that's a bit over the top, you don't need as much material; the drum ends up sounding very dry. I would say use more open sounding heads and the noise might get buried among the actual overtones of the head.

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For contrast I'm posting a video clip I did for my 7 year old nephew who really wanted me to do this song. I had the stems and he heard it. I did it in a hurry and you can tell. It's warts and all. I listened to it maybe 2 or 3 times before I did this but total improv and you can tell at the end when I almost keep playing :icon_lol: I am completely out of time at the breakdown near the end. In fairness, so are they. I am posting this because it has a few tom rolls (especially the one at the end) that have such a much better tone and what I like.

Kool and The Gang
No offense, but wouldn't your crashes both sound better and last longer if you didn't clamp them down that tightly?

ryevick

Reaction score
No offense, but wouldn't your crashes both sound better and last longer if you didn't clamp them down that tightly?
I control the decay of my cymbals with the tension I use, that vary on different cymbals. They've lasted forever and they still sound amazing to me. Just use your stand's protective sleeve to avoid keyholes and strike them properly and you won't go wrong.

Last edited:

ryevick

Reaction score
Thanks for the clip, I think I know what it is: larger toms often exhibit a "bouncing basketball" noise from reflections of the bright attack within the hard shell. Like a small room with echo/reverb. The more muffled the heads are, the more obvious this noise becomes.
As far as I know, there is only one remedy: to line parts of the shell with cloth or just tissue paper, either taping it to the shell for a short fix or removing the screws, puncutring the cloth and mounting it to the screws.
Here is a video:

Another one below. I think that's a bit over the top, you don't need as much material; the drum ends up sounding very dry. I would say use more open sounding heads and the noise might get buried among the actual overtones of the head.
I'm not sure I follow what your saying. None of these videos are dealing with head buzz just tone. When I tune my drums the way I want and they're not buzzing I love the tone I get (like in the video I linked). The issue I'm having also is not just a floor tom issue. It happens to be on this particular instance but it can be my 10" rack that's buzzing.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's what I heard, a slight basketball effect. I didn't hear anyactual buzz. I would adress this using the methods illustrated above.

I have only come across anything resembling "head buzz" with heads that were strteched out from staying at high tension and were then used at low tension. The collar was distorted. In this case, use a fresh head.
An uneven edge might make the head buzz, too. In this case, check if the edge is flat, using a hard, flat surface and a lamp.
Other than that, I am at a loss.