the amazing Lachy Doley Band!!

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Once in a while a show really blows my mind and last night was one of those occasions! The Lachy Doley Band were booked in the most inconspicuous of clubs on the outskirts of Quebec City in what is apparently Canada's biggest flea market, while our International Summer Festival is going on downtown, which is a shame. He should have been rocking one of the main stages at the festival, but I guess we're the lucky ones...

They literally ripped into the first tune in encore mode! Lachy was already jumping like a madman within 16 bars. To get that kind of immediate heat you need to cook on gas! Jackie Barnes on drums & Chris Pearson on the bass are the rhythm section from heaven/hell. For those of you that aren't familiar with mr. Doley, he has been called the "Jimi Hendrix of the B3" among other things and over the hammond he plays a Hohner d6 Clavinet fitted with the Castle Bar Whammy System > Cry Baby Wah > Harris Tremolo > 410 Fender Devil. This is just the meanest instrument ever.

So back to the show...They jumped from beautiful soul ballad to powerful blues rock to Meters style funk and back to the blues with grace and shining enthusiasm, the band waiting on Lachy's every cue. Their interpretation of Jealous Guy was gorgeous and intense and Jackie Barnes added a neat touch by using a rim click and also hitting the left stick with his other stick making a slap echo on the rimclick to mimic the drum track on Lennon's original. He is a brilliant drummer with a rock solid back beat. Like Muhammed Ali, he can "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. When Lachy would get WAY out there on the 3rd or 4th form of a solo Jackie Barnes would counter it with some mean polyrhythmics and a big crazy smile while Chris Pearson would drop bombs on the bass like with a great relaxed demeanour. On "Frankly My Dear I Don't Give a Damn"he did a brilliant bass solo way up in a register that will make or break you, with ease, patience and taste. I haven't had that much fun since MMW or Dead shows! The great unknown was unfolding before me.

After the show we waited until the band got through signing a s**tload of merch (for such a small crowd) and then went and hung out with the band, who are just the nicest folks. I asked Jackie Barnes wether he knew our member & friend Steele at Kentville Drums and he broke into that crazy big grin again & told me all about the love that Steele has given to his vintage collection. Then we talked Rogers for a good while. Then I got the guided tour of his Kerope's before letting him cool down from such an intense show. I was so impressed with the show that I forgot to ask him why he speaks impeccable french! I could rant some more, but just check out the Lachy Doley Band.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bob

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Impressive. And it sounds like you had a great time

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Never heard of the band before but I like what I hear! Nice groove going on...

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Refreshing and real!