The Apparent Impossible Dream

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
About three years ago I took up guitar, followed about a year later by bass. My drum GAS has subsided as my ears can't handle acoustic drums or cymbals. Guitar GAS, however...
I've become a fan of Epiphones. I own an Epi Les Paul 1960'S Tribute, a Sheraton II, a Dove Pro and a J-200 Artist. I like the J, which is a Jumbo; all "select" woods but still a nice guitar, great for open chords.
However, it has wetter my appetite for a limited edition J-200 that Epiphone made a couple years ago and then discontinued. They are beautiful guitars, solid top with the iconic crown inlays and mustache bridge. They didn't make many of them so they don't come up for sale very often.
Over the last several months I've tried unsuccessfully to buy one. I'm not a big fan of black so I've been shooting for either a vintage burst or a natural finish.
Craigslist: two tries. The first: a natural finish. I tried unsuccessfully to reach the owner for over a week; emails, calls---nothing. Finally, he actually picked up his phone. "Uh, the guitar? I sold that a month ago." "Your ad is still up." "OK, thanks (click)."
Number two: still working on this one. It's a decent vintage burst finish with case at a reasonable price, but it's been on there for two months. Given his responsiveness, I think I know why it hasn't sold. He definitely can't be bothered to get back with me.
EBay: shot down in flames twice, once with one second remaining. Ouch.
I'm starting to wonder if this is the one that is meant to slip through my fingers. It sure seems that way...anybody else have a bucket list instrument that seems just out of reach?

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. Always wanted a Ludwig silver sparkle Jazz Fest. Been outbid several times on ebay and have simply passed on several with starting bids way out of my comfort range. Economics 101, we all have unlimited wants but limited resources, all in varying degrees. What if Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook was a drum collector? I doubt there would any limits on what he could buy and consequently set the price in the overall vintage drum market.

Luddite it might take years or maybe never but hang in there and when you least expect it - boom there "it" is sitting up against a pile of cardboard boxes in a yard sale :) Patience is a virtue.
Coy in Idaho

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
My dream set since the late 80's has been a 60's mod orange downbeat. They are stupid rare but are out there. I have a 1969 mod orange super classic, a 1971 mod orange club date as well as a mod orange 14x14 from 1968. Though I have absolutely zero reason to complain, I still would love to find a downbeat set or at least a nice looking 20,12 to match the 14x14 which is in pretty nice shape with strong color.

Maybe one day it will happen but I'm not in any rush. Even if one was for sale I could never afford what it should be worth so there you have it.

Luddite

Reaction score
I'm glad that at least the Epi J200's are relatively inexpensive---the winning bids on the two that I went for were $315 and $365 respectively. I tend to go for relatively inexpensive guitars that play and sound nice. My most expensive is a Martin DRS2, which cost me $799. I love the Gibson J200's but 3700 and up? No thanks!

gsw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I may have to start my own topic on this one, but am surprised to hear you cannot handle the sound of acoustic drums or cymbals... I love both... but absolutely have to wear earplugs or my head feels like it'll explode!

Greg

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for jumbos, but tend to shop middle of the road. Check out a baritone jumbo sometime. Woof. Digging my Alvarez ABT-60. Yeah, Gibson's price is just nuts. I wouldn't mind having my old Guild JF-4 back, but the Alvarez fills that job as well so... not likely to happen.

Luddite

Reaction score
Greg---hypercusis along with tinnitus. For certain frequencies, not even plugs and muffs are enough. My right ear goes completely haywire if I'm exposed to it too long. Man, I miss playing acoustic drums, although I'm grateful to be able to play a hybrid e-kit. I can play electric guitar but have to keep it pretty low and wear plugs.
I hear you on the Alvarez---underrated guitars. I bought a cheap little laminate top one for next to nothing and loved it. I wound up selling it for cheap to a kid at church who plays in the praise band with me. He loves that thing. Guild just came out with a new Jumbo that goes for around $900. Too much money, although I like Guilds---I owned a 12 fret join Parlor style that was a great little guitar. I traded it for my Les Paul Tribute.