The best drummers

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
the best drummers (and others) ...

... can do stuff like that.

Jack DeJohnnette:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d66Ytt2g7ns?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d66Ytt2g7ns?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Mrtboner

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Comparing an improv session in a garage in south Korea to The Stooges is insulting to The Stooges and to Zach Hill

The first time I heard Hella I thought, cmon guys write a song. The more I listened and after I saw Zach Hill perform live I realized he was a phenomenon

I've even heard Dennis Chambers digs Zach Hill. The guitar playing in that clip wasn't so great and the sound quality was bad but any drummer who can't appreciate the drummer, even a little bit, needs to reevaluate their standards.

This clip reminds me a bit of Elvin Jones playing on Vigil with John Coltrane

drumbum38

Forum Member
Reaction score
Interesting that he played with one shoe. I could have done without the close-up shot of his bare foot though. :pukeright:
I'd call that song "brainfuk". Good tune to torture a POW into giving up secrets, or maybe bringing an end to a standoff at a polygamist compound. How about driving away predatory animals from your camp sight in the woods? Or pushing someone's weak heart into cardiac arrest? (for those who just can't wait for their inheritance). :blackeye: It wasn't so much the drumming itself, but the guitar and the over all sound. That one didn't agree with me at all.
I gotta go defrag my brain now. LOL

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta say, not my cuppa. I bailed after a couple of minutes...which I'll never get back. :unsure:

gingerb91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
&feature=related

This is what they sound like in the studio. Extremely complex drumming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bongo Congo

DFO Star
Reaction score
any drummer who can't appreciate the drummer, even a little bit, needs to reevaluate their standards.
REALLY???? I need to reevaluate my standards??? Okay, if you say so.

Here is my reevaluated standard: merely pushing some mechanical aspect of a craft to an anarchaic extreme is NOT ART.

Thank you for directing me to that much-needed reevaluation. :-D

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talk about mechanics...here's what I prefer wasting my time watching and listening to.

just sayin...

&feature=related

Yo!

Reaction score
Zach Hill is a destroyer.

All you naysayers need to listen to Hella; he does great work with that band. He did a stint with Chino Moreno from Deftones for a while with a band called Team Sleep. I thought that project was weak, not the right environment for a drummer like Hill.

It makes sense the older drum brothers find this type of drumming to be racket, but to us younger drummers he's fantastic.

L

leedybdp

The comments posted from us older people are referring to the piece of crap clip that posted here. He may be a fantastic drummer. But, that clip is pure crap with athleticism. I am not commenting on his ability to do push ups or sit ups.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I guess that I come at it from the "middle." That is to say that I'm not a hater of this guy's thing like some others, but aren't really a fan either. I've checked out some other videos of this guy in the past and kinda dug what he was doing, though I don have to admit that his particular style isn't quite my cup of tea. Even with a mild appreciation of what this guy does, I didn't really like the posted video much at all. Not because it doesn't groove or isn't at all subtle, it just seems like there isn't a whole lot going on for me... even when I look at it in the most abstract realm. I can appreciate the abstract to some extent though and I can see that what this guy does as noisy and chaotic as it is, is pretty unique and pretty impressive. It covers some of the same ground, I think as a lot of free jazz drumming that I've heard... I'd just rather hear the freer jazz folks play than the more rock styled guys improving...

One of my favorite jazz albums is one called "Conference of Birds" by Dave Holland and there's some really chaotic, really free playing on there by the drummer Barry Atchul of whom I can see some similarities with this Zach Hill guy.

Bongo Congo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Zach Hill is a destroyer.
He certainly destroyed my interest fast enough.

It makes sense the older drum brothers find this type of drumming to be racket, but to us younger drummers he's fantastic.
HAH HAH HAH Yeah, that has to be it. That young rapscallion. Just makes me want to run him over with my Hoveround. :-D

thecanyonbehindher

Reaction score
Talk about mechanics...here's what I prefer wasting my time watching and listening to.

just sayin...

&feature=related

See, I find this stiff insufferably nerdy and ball-less. Like Dave Weckl's more mathematically inclined cousin.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

just sayin...

&feature=related

See, I find this stiff insufferably nerdy and ball-less. Like Dave Weckl's more mathematically inclined cousin.
OK. You say potato....I'd still aspire to Gavin's level.

Bongo Congo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yep. Me, too. I don't necessarily wanna diss the guy as a player, he does what he does, more power to him. But this is just meandering nonsense. Conceptually vacant. And what's worse, the backing tracks are carrying most of the rhythmic burden and the thematic concept. He's just goofing off on the actual drums... who needs this? It's just babble.