The best "heavy" metal snare drums, as compiled by DCP

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was surprised by the Gretsch solid steel. Brass and bronze are discussed a lot, but that one is right there with them.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
No 6.5" Supra? And 3 Gretsch? As much as I love Gretsch, that's not my choice for a "go to" heavy metal snare.........interesting.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig doesn't offer any "heavy" snares. Notice that all of these are at least 3mm thick and weigh ~15 or 20 lbs.

cplueard

Reaction score
The Tama JT and Canopus ones sounded fantastic both full mix and room.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting mix of words - I took "heavy metal" to mean snares for loud hard rock music.

I guess rereading this, heavy metal means heavy snares made of metal that can weight as much as (??) a heavy bell brass snare........that is a much less interesting proposition, and a silly comparison IMO......

I used to have a Pearl Tico Torres (who??? exactly - the Bon Jovi drummer!) free floater 3mm seamless aluminum snare. Super loud and extremely heavy - definitely not a jazz drum. My "heaviest" now is a Dunnett raw patina bronze 6.5x14 - just a fantastic drum - not necessarily for heavy metal, but extremely sensitive and lovely for jazz!

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was surprised by the Gretsch solid steel. Brass and bronze are discussed a lot, but that one is right there with them.
I was too. I wasn't even aware it existed before this video. It has a very similar sound. And it's substantially cheaper, too.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting mix of words - I took "heavy metal" to mean snares for loud hard rock music.

I guess rereading this, heavy metal means heavy snares made of metal that can weight as much as (??) a heavy bell brass snare........that is a much less interesting proposition, and a silly comparison IMO......

I used to have a Pearl Tico Torres (who??? exactly - the Bon Jovi drummer!) free floater 3mm seamless aluminum snare. Super loud and extremely heavy - definitely not a jazz drum. My "heaviest" now is a Dunnett raw patina bronze 6.5x14 - just a fantastic drum - not necessarily for heavy metal, but extremely sensitive and lovely for jazz!
When I first saw the title, I also though music genre, but I thought it was a cool comparison. Heavy gauge metal shells lend a very different sound - I love my Ludwig Supra and Dunnett Raw Steel, but they don't have the complexity, sensitivity, depth and projection of my Steel Keplinger. That said, I'm not surprised to see the Gretsch Steel sound as good as the others. A lot of jazz and symphonic players have used these kinds of drums, they're not just loud, they work in any environment.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The N&C in there is an interesting choice, I have a 4.75" one and wouldn't consider it a "heavy" snare drum. It's heavy for its size, but not like a 3mm thick brass or steel shell. It definitely had the least OOMPH out of any of the snares in the video too. I love my N&C, but there's something to really be said about a super thick brass or steel shell.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sound great unaccompanied but those tasty tones have a habit of disappearing when the band starts . In the studio, OK . or on a video like the one we just saw .

I'm surprised the Pearl reference steel or brass wasn't featured . Those are monsters .

I too am I believer in the seamless TAMA Kingbeat . I have a 6 1/2 with a Yamaha wood hoop on the batter with a coated Ludwig ' medium ' .

stevil

Reaction score
No 6.5" Supra? And 3 Gretsch? As much as I love Gretsch, that's not my choice for a "go to" heavy metal snare.........interesting.
Yeah, they're talking "heavy" in terms of weight, not in terms of application. These are all back-breakers. I love them.

EDIT: oops, my bad, I replied before reading the thread. Sorry to pile on/explain what didn't call for further explanation.

Last edited:

TroyB

Reaction score
I love the Premier Deep Rock 9 . Its brass and cuts through everything on stage . Even the guitar player that cant leave his volume knob alone . Lol its a beast .

TroyB

Reaction score
I love the Premier Deep Rock 9 . Its brass and cuts through everything on stage . Even the guitar player that cant leave his volume knob alone . Lol its a beast .
Im apologies guys i didnt read it correctly

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was too. I wasn't even aware it existed before this video. It has a very similar sound. And it's substantially cheaper, too.
I have owned both the 6.5 and 5 versions for over 10 years. Killer drums that hold their ground against almost anything out there. The feel of these drums is also pretty extraordinary. Lots of body and cut.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like the gretsch bell brass, but much prefer the full range model.

I've got a 6mm Drumcraft bell brass now. Apparently the same shell as the sonor cast bronze, but I'm not sure how accurate that is