The best "heavy" metal snare drums, as compiled by DCP

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Don't see why it's relevant, if they became famous playing smaller kits. You shouted "None of those drummers played "big" kits!" and I called you for it since it's not true. Almost all of them played big kit.
Yes they did, they evolved with thier instrument. What I find is certain drums/cymbals as well can provoke or entice a fresh angle of creativity and approach. Black and white is fine but why not broaden your horizons and add additional color to your pallet?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
errr because 'one is not famous yet?...or ever....? ;)
what do they say? the Ends gotta justify the means?..lol
I'm not totally against self- flagellation tho..buy that new snare! for the 25th time go ahead..
What's it called "an A K'er".. Or the 80lb bronze.
Some of these are getting a little "ahead of one's ski's".
being pulled down the slope. I'm old fashioned.
when it comes to historic drums.
Stuck in 1972 equipment wise. By 72 all was said and done in rock or jass I'm not Greg Hutchinson (he is not me) So he get's the newest Sakaies" Why would I buy one. And skip the step of earning it. When the Gretsch, Ludwig, Slingerland et al, of say 1968-70 is sufficient means .

on top of all that, the guy ar DCNH says
"the 80 Tama beats them all".
All that tells me is 1968 must have been a very good year.
I don't need "snare 2020". (lol)
A Love Supreme or Santana II..was fine.
I have less money ^ (but more sweat) in those drums..

Last edited:

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
errr because 'one is not famous yet?...or ever....? ;)
what do they say? the Ends gotta justify the means?..lol
I'm not totally against self- flagellation tho..buy that new snare! for the 25th time go ahead..
What's it called "an A K'er".. Or the 80lb bronze.
Some of these are getting a little "ahead of one's ski's".
being pulled down the slope. I'm old fashioned.
when it comes to historic drums.
Stuck in 1972 equipment wise. By 72 all was said and done in rock or jass I'm not Greg Hutchinson (he is not me) So he get's the newest Sakaies" Why would I buy one. And skip the step of earning it. When the Gretsch, Ludwig, Slingerland et al, of say 1968-70 is sufficient means .

on top of all that, the guy ar DCNH says
"the 80 Tama beats them all".
All that tells me is 1968 must have been a very good year.
I don't need "snare 2020". (lol)
A Love Supreme or Santana II..was fine.
I have less money ^ (but more sweat) in those drums..

Have you ever played a bell bronze snare? If yes, to what extent?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had a Gretsch COB for 43 years. I know exactly what a good Brass is.
I don't need to go above that level to Bell Brass.
Nothing about me needs it.
But you can I don't care ...I'm just jagging ya ll.
I like what Elvin and Philly Joe and early Mike Shrieve and Bobby Columby played.

Technically any drums beyond that do not improve an aspect of "playing". Playing ability is what I concern myself with.
And the drums I mention handle that.

Buy what you want. I'm from a different age. Where's it's the drummer way more so than the drum.
If you want to throw down some Ed Blackwell with me bring your drums and set em up over there..
Special drums were around and common. To go to extremely special isn't necessary toward improving playing.

So yeah I got Brass. I have enough Brass. No no Bell Brass. I've Plenty enough about perfect for me.
I'm just jagging the concept that you gotta keep buying stuff. That certain gear beyond a certain level alters your playing...

The hamster wheel of constant buying in place of expanding one's playing is an easily avoidable no-go zone. Jon Christensen,Marty Morrell, Michael Carvin, all the great drummers, more important to me. getting the feel getting into that , being in that zone. Living there..
My desire to own drums is not near my desire to express and play drums. Owning 's the easy part.
Any chump with a Checkbook can do that. Can he or she get thru "Lonely Woman"? How well. How authentic. That's what matters to me.

Last edited:

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had a Gretsch COB for 43 years. I know exactly what a good Brass is.
I don't need to go above that level to Bell Brass.
Nothing about me needs it.
But you can I don't care ...I'm just jagging ya ll.
I like what Elvin and Philly Joe and early Mike Shrieve and Bobby Columby played.

Technically any drums beyond that do not improve an aspect of "playing". Playing ability is what I concern myself with.
And the drums I mention handle that.

Buy what you want. I'm from a different age. Where's it's the drummer way more so than the drum.
If you want to throw down some Ed Blackwell with me bring your drums and set em up over there..
Special drums were around and common. To go to extremely special isn't necessary toward improving playing.

So yeah I got Brass. I have enough Brass. No no Bell Brass. I've Plenty enough about perfect for me.
I'm just jagging the concept you gotta keep buying stuff. The hamster wheel of constant buying in place of expanding one's playing is a no-go zone. Jon Christensen,Marty Morrell, Michael Carvin, all the great drummers, more important to me.

So you haven't even played one, and you rant here about guys playing them. What a joke! Lol. :laughing6:
And you keep name-dropping jazz player's names, hoping that it would distract us from the fact that you actually have absolutely no clue what you're talking about when it comes these drums. ZERO experience. That actually makes you rookie in this matter. Total beginner lecturing us.

Listen, no one has been taking about "the hamster wheel of constant buying".
We are taking about this specific type of drum. That sound unique. That have been around for 40 years already. Drums that you don't have any experience with, and therefore you simply can't have any meaningful things to say about them.

Seems to be that the only thing you are offering to this conversation is noise.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If any of those drums make you play better go for it.
I don't feel that any gear makes me play better, but some gear definitely makes me sound better.
Is your point that we shouldn't talk about gear? Or that we shouldn't talk about gear made after 1972?
Ok, your point has been heard. Thank you for sharing your inexperience.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
There's a certain level of professional gear. Beyond that develop your playing vocabulary.
Too many drummers are stuck in early 70s rock beats- no matter how 'exquisite' their drums. pretty sad.
those beats on that video were all 1974 or earlier. What progress? none.

At least Graduate to Bill Bruford.

Last edited:

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
There's a certain level of professional gear. Beyond that develop your playing vocabulary.
Too many drummers are stuck in early 70s rock beats- no matter how 'exquisite' their drums. pretty sad.
those beats on that video were all 1974 or earlier. What progess none.
Here again, first it’s:
“Can you play jazz with the style and finesse of these jazzmen from an earlier time”
Then it’s:
“You’re stuck in the past, no innovation”.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
1951:

there you go. Get that one down.

or keep playing that 70s rock beat. I can't live- been there done that- in one spot forever.
that above is one of 2000 examples.

that rock cro magnon 70s beat (in the dcnh video ) (and elsewhere) is embarrassing Ha!
I can't remain 17 years old..

Altho I was good at it... in 1973..but come on.. Move on..
https://soundcloud.com/rick-struzzi%2Fcrossroads-73-t-bird-lounge
I ain't going back or remaining in one place! Drumming wise!
So many are stuck in the 70s boom Crack- ba boom Crack...
in 2020!

Last edited:

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Playing rhythms borrowed from another culture is not exactly “innovative” unless it’s still 1953 (including the settler colonial mindset).

Besides, that Max Roach video is not you playing, is it? You keep telling us that we don’t know and can’t play, so let’s hear what you can do.

Last edited:

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back to the thick metal drums, does anyone have experience with the DW polished bell brass snare? It's a 3mm shell but much cheaper than others (retail $575) because it's rolled and welded. I was hoping DCP would have it or the knurled bronze snare in that comparison to see if there's a noticeable difference in sound (I doubt it).

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Besides, that’s not you playing, is it?
Yes. thats me and my band in 1973..playing "crossroads" but lets move on..
I have that rock foundation but moved on to swing & jazz full time around 1984 cultural appropriation be damned.
I too am a person of color if that matters to ya.

No not me in the Un Poco Loco demo. No.
But try that beat. Bill Stewart said it was one of the top five beats ever and he still sneaks it in to his playing (you can hear) just a side note on how it doesn't matter the snare you are using when it comes to vocabulary.

Last edited:

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes. thats me and my band in 1973..
I meant the Max Roach you posted initially. But now that you’ve demonstrated your skills from the absolute peak years of your technical ability, we all know exactly how valuable your input is on both heavy bronze drums and jazz artistry.

Latest posts