The BEST sounding snare drum, the WORST sounding snare drum

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
Can you think of the best sounding snare drum you ever heard on a recording? How about the worst sounding snare?

My vote for best sounding snare is anything Ed Greene played for Barry White, i.e, "Can't Enough of Your Love Babe". The worst snare drum sound I ever heard was played by Ringo on The Beatles' "Free as a Bird". Both drummers played Ludwigs.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I Can't think of any specific songs right now. But I will say that when I hear a bad snare in a song, I can no longer hear the song. I'll hear it later and focus only on the snare. It's weird because it's the only part of a drum kit that causes that for me.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
" judge I move the question's Out Of Order !!"
"..motion's sustained"
```````````````````````````````

for the curious 8:15 is a Black Beauty 6.5

seen

again at 2:31

Last edited:

Tdipaul

Reaction score
Best

Black Hole Sun
Bill Withers Aint No Sunshine Live 1972 (looks like a 6.5 Supra, but 95% of it is about the touch IMO)
Eric Clapton Live Royal Albert Hall 1991
Stones Out of Tears
Almost all Police but esp Zonyatta Mondatta (that drum of mysterious provenance thing)
Journey Anytime/Feelin That Way (super low and loose)
Van Halen II (and only II )
Signals
Damn the Torpedos
the list goes on

Worst

I cant recall a really bad recorded snare sound - to let something awful through is a rare occurrence
Does Purple Rain and Let's Go Crazy count?

NewVintage

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
John Mayer’s Continuum album has several great snare sounds from tight and popping to low and thudding. That’s one that stands out to me right now.

The worst, I my opinion, is Metallica’s “St Anger”. Although the song did well on the charts and it was certainly unique.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Figured St. Anger was a lock for "Worst" sound. Kind of agree about Van Halen. Grew up listening to them from the get go and never liked the "thunk" sound. Recently saw a video of how they gaffer taped it all up and thought what a waste of a good snare shell.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My all-time favorite recorded snare sound is Gene Krupa's snare on "Gene's Blues". You can hear it best on the several drum breaks (first one at 0:40) and his classic solo (starting at 5:36).

My all-time LEAST favorite recorded snare sound is Ringo's snare on The Beatles' "Savoy Truffle". (I HATE those friggin' tea towels!)

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can you think of the best sounding snare drum you ever heard on a recording? How about the worst sounding snare?

My vote for best sounding snare is anything Ed Greene played for Barry White, i.e, "Can't Enough of Your Love Babe". The worst snare drum sound I ever heard was played by Ringo on The Beatles' "Free as a Bird". Both drummers played Ludwigs.

The snare on the Beatles song sounds perfect for it to me ….

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
John Mayer’s Continuum album has several great snare sounds from tight and popping to low and thudding. That’s one that stands out to me right now.

The worst, I my opinion, is Metallica’s “St Anger”. Although the song did well on the charts and it was certainly unique.
Steve Jordan is really good at finding the right snare for a song , he changes out regularly on stage as well …

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will catch it for this … the Ludwig Supra Aluminum is one of my least favorite snare sound and feel.
One of my favorite snare sounds … Joe Morello’s Ludwig Supra COB.
Just goes to show, sometimes it’s the material … sometimes it’s the player.
And sometimes it’s both.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My favorite snare sound is probably Billy Cobham’s snare playing on Inner Mounting Flame. I’ve read on another forum that it was a vintage copper drum, but, I can’t find any reliable source for that.

And of course, no one can hit a sweet powerful rimshot quite like Billy Cobham. Here’s a sample:

Last edited:
Reaction score
My favorite snare sound is probably Billy Cobham’s snare playing on Inner Mounting Flame. I’ve read on another forum that it was a vintage copper drum, but, I can’t find any reliable source for that.

And of course, no one can hit a sweet powerful rimshot quite like Billy Cobham. Here’s a sample:

If I am remembering correctly the snare on this record is a 4x14 1920's engraved Black Beauty that was Papa Jo Jones' then went Billy Cobham, and eventually to John Riley. I believe John has since sold it.

Those ARE great sounding drums!
MSG

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If I am remembering correctly the snare on this record is a 4x14 1920's engraved Black Beauty that was Papa Jo Jones' then went Billy Cobham, and eventually to John Riley. I believe John has since sold it.

Those ARE great sounding drums!
MSG
What was the snare Billy Cobham brought with him to see Buddy Rich and when he asked Buddy to sign the head, Buddy dropped it down a flight of stairs?

covinasurf

Reaction score
My all-time favorite recorded snare sound is Gene Krupa's snare on "Gene's Blues". You can hear it best on the several drum breaks (first one at 0:40) and his classic solo (starting at 5:36).

My all-time LEAST favorite recorded snare sound is Ringo's snare on The Beatles' "Savoy Truffle". (I HATE those friggin' tea towels!)

I never play Get Back without a towel on the snare. :)

JH

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Best: Al Jackson Jr. on countless Stax records. Just the perfect backbeat sound! And Ian Paice (the whole kit, really) on "Made in Japan".
Worst: The overly processed sounds of the 80's, piccolos of the 90's, and the overly processed sounds of the noughties.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Danny Seraphine used a wood Dynasonic on Chicago Transit Authority . Crisp, fat and focused .

Simon Kirke with his 400 on Fire and Water .

Willie ' big eyes ' Smith on Muddy's Hard again .

Panama Francis always had a nicesnare thing happening with Big Joe . I've seen pics of him posing with a COB Slingerland .

Levon - sometimes too much " klonk " . Yeah, yeah I know , forgive me for I have sinned ...

Garibaldi gets on my nerves with his