The BEST sounding snare drum, the WORST sounding snare drum

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Best snare sound - for me and I clearly don't speak for all or most people but anything off the OLP Naveed CD.

Worst snare sound - some are going to disagree but anything off Metallica's Justice for All CD, I hated the entire kit sound, especially the snare. Sounded like he was playing on butcher paper.

drumdawg

Reaction score
Best: It's hard to narrow down but I like the Stone Temple Pilots Core Album a lot.
Worst:
Metallica - St. Anger (it must be bad if the snare has an infamous name (st. anger snare))
Animals As Leaders - Kalimba Track. (I like this band just didn't like the snare sound here)

I heard a live recording of Bleeding Heart by Hendrix. The song must have been later in the set because it sounds like maybe the snare detuned. The snare is all hear when I listen to that track.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Phil Rudd's snare sound on both Back In Black and For Those About To Rock was great...

Charlie Watts always has a great snare sound...

Bonham, of course - so many have tried to duplicate it (another case of the gear AND the player)...

Buddy Rich - maybe one of my favorite snare sounds ever...

As for worst: Other than the 2 AC/DC albums listed above, I don't care for many Mutt Lange produced snare sounds...

Jeff Lynne is another one that always produced terrible snare sounds (Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever, for example, and all of the ELO stuff)...

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
There are lots of great sounding snares, and often it comes down to what fits right for the song. I like James Gadson’s fat sounding snares in more recent years. JR Robinson on Back in the high life. Anything with Steve Jordan. Many of the sounds on Al Green hits. Early Motown snares. Jeff’s sound on Toto 4. Charlie Watts, most tracks. Idris with scofield. Billy Higgins deep Ludwig. Blade always has amazing snares.

But more times than I not, I like the sound of a deeper snare.

Last edited:

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve always liked Chris Adler’s snare sound…

Carter Beauford’s snare sounds killer too!

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worst - Lynard Skynyrd, Artimus Pyle, worst sounding snare and drums in rock & roll history. Ruined much of their music.

Best - Buddy Rich, Dave Garibaldi, Danny Seraphine.

mattr

Reaction score
Bill Gibson had a great roll and meaty snare intro on Huey Lewis “this is it” and not a couple years later had a dreadful sample on “jacobs ladder”. Mid 80s bad production…

Last edited:

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this.

While easing back into drumming after a 30-year hiatus, one of the things that has perplexed me the most is how finicky drummers have gotten about snare sounds. In the old days, we just bought a decent snare drum, tuned it the way we liked it, and played. I don't remember anyone ever commenting critically about another drummer's snare sound. Today, goodness, it's as if drummers' flies are open the minute they hit the snare. Everybody criticizes the snare sound. Plus, drummers now set up two snares to have different snare sounds. Hello?

It's therefore interesting to me to have posted examples of supposedly good and bad snare sounds. Especially interesting is that I don't like the snare sound in the Barry White song that the OP likes. I don't hate that snare sound, but for me the snare is too tight. I'd personally loosen the wires a tad and maybe lower the pitch of the drum a little. Well, I'm not playing the drum so can't say for sure, but it's not the sound I would want. I'd work with the drum a little more to get a better sound to my ears.

But I can't disagree with the OP about Ringo's snare sound. WTF? Actually, after the song gets going, the snare sound isn't that bad. That first whack of the snare though is horrible. Is that drum even tuned?

So I can be finicky too. In fact, sometimes when listening to a drummer live, I find myself thinking that he should loosen the snare wires 1/8th turn or something along those lines. But good grief, these are opinions, that's all. Millionaire drummers (even for the Beatles) apparently have different opinions. It's not the most important thing how a drummer's snare sounds.

I do though agree with another post that Gene Krupa's snare sound is/was kind of the gold standard. For my tastes, he had an ever so slightly deeper tone than I prefer, but the difference is one of only a few degrees, not a big deal. It's only my opinion.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favourite: Phil Collins on Abacab
Another flavour I really like: Phil Collins on A Trick Of The Tail
My least favourite: Phil Collins on Invisible Touch (to me Simmons are better used as toms or percussive effects)

phdamage

Reaction score
Plenty of snares recorded in the B Room at Electrical Audio would make the best list for me - I think it would be difficult to get one to sound bad in there, honestly

worst for me might be the snare sound on the Rites of Spring LP. it literally sounds like a bucket crossed with a pizza box.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I find the snare sound Frank Beard has on Live in Texas was very pleasing.

I can't recall a snare tone I fully dislike.

Heck, I'm easy.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best-sounding snare is always the one you don't yet own! The worst-sounding snare is the one you're gonna sell to get to the best-sounding snare! Otherwise, I've liked the overall snare-sounds of Bill Cobham and Yanni's Charlie Adams.

The Real Drummer Dude

Reaction score
Can you think of the best sounding snare drum you ever heard on a recording? How about the worst sounding snare?

My vote for best sounding snare is anything Ed Greene played for Barry White, i.e, "Can't Enough of Your Love Babe". The worst snare drum sound I ever heard was played by Ringo on The Beatles' "Free as a Bird". Both drummers played Ludwigs.

The Real Drummer Dude

Reaction score
Can you think of the best sounding snare drum you ever heard on a recording? How about the worst sounding snare?

My vote for best sounding snare is anything Ed Greene played for Barry White, i.e, "Can't Enough of Your Love Babe". The worst snare drum
sound I ever heard was played by Ringo on The Beatles' "Free as a Bird". Both drummers played Ludwigs.