The BEST sounding snare drum, the WORST sounding snare drum

The Real Drummer Dude

Reaction score
Best snare is that iconic Tama Bell Brass on Yes “RoundAbout,” or the Roy Thomas Baker produced Cars first effort.

Vicey

Reaction score
Best snare is that iconic Tama Bell Brass on Yes “RoundAbout,” or the Roy Thomas Baker produced Cars first effort.
Not sure if this is a joke or not. The "Nevermind" snare in 1971? In London? Tama didn't exist as a brand until 1974. Bruford's snare on "Roundabout" is either an LM 400 or a Supersensitive.

If this is a joke, you got me.

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
my best snare drum is my Tama Star Walnut 14x6.5 snare drum.

the worst in 45 years is my Pearl Limited Edition maple 14x8 snare drum.

FlowTom

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother and I had a Japanese stencil snare in the 60's that was pretty bad.
We made things better by never tuning it and not knowing how.
After we heard Ginger Baker, we just put a pillowcase on it (and the toms) and it was fine.
My first edition Sonor Safari snare is not a good thing. I might need two pillowcases.

Corbin L Douthitt

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you think of the best sounding snare drum you ever heard on a recording? How about the worst sounding snare?

My vote for best sounding snare is anything Ed Greene played for Barry White, i.e, "Can't Enough of Your Love Babe". The worst snare drum sound I ever heard was played by Ringo on The Beatles' "Free as a Bird". Both drummers played Ludwigs.

If a snare sounds bad on a recording- talk to the sound engineer and producer.

Monday317

Reaction score
Can you think of the best sounding snare drum you ever heard on a recording? How about the worst sounding snare?

My vote for best sounding snare is anything Ed Greene played for Barry White, i.e, "Can't Enough of Your Love Babe". The worst snare drum sound I ever heard was played by Ringo on The Beatles' "Free as a Bird". Both drummers played Ludwigs.

One of the best snare drum sounds to my ear was Jamie Oldaker’s brief intro and percussion for Eric Clapton’s Slowhand album track, Lay Down Sally. It was well-played and particularly well miked—a treat through headphones!

I can’t think of any really bad snare drums that were poorly recorded, though I detest ragtime bands whose drummers play the rims. Can’t say why, just hate the sound as it makes the band instantly corny to me.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So much of a drummers sound is often out his control to a large degree. I say that by way of, often in the studio an engineer will mix a snare sound that sounds great through the headphones and you think while recording a song man this snare/kit sounds incredible. You think to yourself, I can't wait for my family and friends to hear this. Then after final mix down you hear the recording again only to find some knuckle head engineer put a lot of effects or over compressed everything to try and get the drums to sit better in the mix etc. I have had that happen to me. I'm sure there are a lot of drummers that hate the final mix and their drum sound on the final recordings. I had no say on the sounds on the studio recordings I have done because all bets are off on final mixdown. Its all up the the engineer and what he thinks sounds good and what he is trying to achieve mix wise in the music. These are just my thoughts from personal experience.

Last edited:

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
The sound of this snare in this live performance is bad. especially considering how hard he's hitting it.

StatesboroBlue

Reaction score

At present, I would say any live recording of Dave Brubeck with Joe Morello gets my vote for favorite snare. Worst, IDK, how about every '70s snare that sounds like it has a cold.

Drumskillz

Reaction score
Best sounding? There are SOOOOO many. But two spring immediately to mind.

Vinnie on Sting's 'Ten Summoner's Tales'. I usually don't dig thinner piccolo type snares. But Vinnie just sounds killer here.

Steve Jordan...on just about everything he's ever played on. The guy has tone for days.

Worst sounding? Have to agree with those who tagged St. Anger. What the HELL were they thinking letting that disc be released with such a horrific snare sound? And oddly, 'The Black Album' is one of my absolute favorite rock/metal snare sounds! Lars will NEVER live it down.

Kevinpursuit

Reaction score
One thing, when listening to tracks one has to wonder how much of the micking and mix really portrays the actual sound of the snare.

Heres an example of one of my favorite type of snare sound.

The Real Drummer Dude

Reaction score
Not sure if this is a joke or not. The "Nevermind" snare in 1971? In London? Tama didn't exist as a brand until 1974. Bruford's snare on "Roundabout" is either an LM 400 or a Supersensitive.

If this is a joke, you got me.

XPKplayer67

Reaction score
Best

Black Hole Sun
Bill Withers Aint No Sunshine Live 1972 (looks like a 6.5 Supra, but 95% of it is about the touch IMO)
Eric Clapton Live Royal Albert Hall 1991
Stones Out of Tears
Almost all Police but esp Zonyatta Mondatta (that drum of mysterious provenance thing)
Journey Anytime/Feelin That Way (super low and loose)
Van Halen II (and only II )
Signals
Damn the Torpedos
the list goes on

Worst

I cant recall a really bad recorded snare sound - to let something awful through is a rare occurrence
Does Purple Rain and Let's Go Crazy count?
I have tried to get the sound that is on Dam the Torpedoes. Especially "Louisiana Rain". What a sound. Good call on that one Sir

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
this snare sound always annoyed me. Sounded like a 5/5.5" steel shell with duct tape on a slack head with two tension rods missing....

might have been the show that followed..
no it was the snare or how it was hit.

The Real Drummer Dude

Reaction score
No joke, however my sense of humor is usually beyond the grasp of most.

My bad, here’s the answer from Bruford himself:

It was a 14″ X 5″ Ludwig Supraphonic 400 aluminium/chrome plated snare drum, a second hand instrument bought along with my “real” Ludwig drum kit from a pawn shop with Yes’s first manager, Roy Flynn.”

I can see you’ve got it right! Quite the instrument-enthusiast you are!

Keep up the good work! Good luck.

robbie

Reaction score

Are you sure that's Ringo playing on "Free as a Bird"? My admittedly superficial internet sleuthing tells me it was originally a demo recorded by John Lennon and his three surviving bandmates put out a remastered version and Ringo gets credit for "production". But anyway, before he let some idiot put towels over his drums, (grrrrrr) Ringo did get some good sounds...for example, the snare sound on "Tell Me What You See" is as good as it gets, in my opinion.

robbie

Reaction score
I believe Danny Seraphine used a wood Dynasonic on Chicago Transit Authority . Crisp, fat and focused .

Simon Kirke with his 400 on Fire and Water .

Willie ' big eyes ' Smith on Muddy's Hard again .

Panama Francis always had a nicesnare thing happening with Big Joe . I've seen pics of him posing with a COB Slingerland .

Levon - sometimes too much " klonk " . Yeah, yeah I know , forgive me for I have sinned ...

Garibaldi gets on my nerves with his
Permit me to step in here, but Danny Seraphine played Slingerland in those days. He was actually an endorser up until the late 70's.