The BEST sounding snare drum, the WORST sounding snare drum

Drumskillz

Reaction score
One thing, when listening to tracks one has to wonder how much of the micking and mix really portrays the actual sound of the snare.

Heres an example of one of my favorite type of snare sound.
I dig this snare sound too. By the way, Culbertson and his band are killer live! My wife says "It's like Earth Wind and Fire without vocals." Fair description.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Permit me to step in here, but Danny Seraphine played Slingerland in those days. He was actually an endorser up until the late 70's.
Sure looks like a wood dynasonic to me . at 1: 49 and at 12:10

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sure looks like a wood dynasonic to me .

Sorry, but one of you is partially correct, and the other is wrong. Danny details ALL of his gear from his entire career (and much more) in this.

MSG

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
One thing, when listening to tracks one has to wonder how much of the micking and mix really portrays the actual sound of the snare.

Heres an example of one of my favorite type of snare sound.
That does sound very good, largely helped by the fine playing of the drummer (Chris Miskel I just learned).

It's purely personal taste I know, like the top 20's etc but those claiming Alex Van Halen has the worst snare sound are the polar opposite of me because I think his has always been great, especially on F.U.C.K.

Here's another good one as well, Yak Sherrit on the Johnny Diesel and the Injectors album from around 1989 (a decent mullet too).

The worst for me is a well known drummer here in Aus that I won't name but he plays high profile shows and tours/records with a well known singer/songwriter, it's just horrible.

robbie

Reaction score
Worst - Lynard Skynyrd, Artimus Pyle, worst sounding snare and drums in rock & roll history. Ruined much of their music.

Best - Buddy Rich, Dave Garibaldi, Danny Seraphine.
Honorable mention goes to the drum sound on Bachman Turner Overdrive (I believe it was Randy's Bachman's brother)

robbie

Reaction score
Sorry, but one of you is partially correct, and the other is wrong. Danny details ALL of his gear from his entire career (and much more) in this.

MSG
Don't keep us in suspense....

mpthomson

Reaction score
Are you sure that's Ringo playing on "Free as a Bird"? My admittedly superficial internet sleuthing tells me it was originally a demo recorded by John Lennon and his three surviving bandmates put out a remastered version and Ringo gets credit for "production". But anyway, before he let some idiot put towels over his drums, (grrrrrr) Ringo did get some good sounds...for example, the snare sound on "Tell Me What You See" is as good as it gets, in my opinion.

The snare sound on that is a standard Jeff Lynne production style as heard on albums by ELO, Tom Petty, George Harrison, Travelling Wilburys etc

StatesboroBlue

Reaction score
Best: Al Jackson Jr. on countless Stax records. Just the perfect backbeat sound! And Ian Paice (the whole kit, really) on "Made in Japan".
Worst: The overly processed sounds of the 80's, piccolos of the 90's, and the overly processed sounds of the noughties.
Made in Japan, could not agree with you more.

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
the best sounding snare I've ever had is my 14x6.5 tama star walnut.
the worst sounding snare is my Pearl Limited Edition maple 14x8 snare drum.

Corbin L Douthitt

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So much of a drummers sound is often out his control to a large degree. I say that by way of, often in the studio an engineer will mix a snare sound that sounds great through the headphones and you think while recording a song man this snare/kit sounds incredible. You think to yourself, I can't wait for my family and friends to hear this. Then after final mix down you hear the recording again only to find some knuckle head engineer put a lot of effects or over compressed everything to try and get the drums to sit better in the mix etc. I have had that happen to me. I'm sure there are a lot of drummers that hate the final mix and their drum sound on the final recordings. I had no say on the sounds on the studio recordings I have done because all bets are off on final mixdown. Its all up the the engineer and what he thinks sounds good and what he is trying to achieve mix wise in the music. These are just my thoughts from personal experience.
apparently, sound engineers are not musicians. Just music critics.. often enamored with their new toys to modify real music sounds. IMHO- if you got paid.. move on..

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score

MSG
That article looks to be behind a paywall. Could you give us a summary?

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jeff Lynne is another one that always produced terrible snare sounds (Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever, for example, and all of the ELO stuff)...
I like a lot of ELO’s songs but I can’t listen to them for more than 5 minutes or so because I was never a fan of his production.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Worst - You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon)

Best - Joe Jackson’s Body & Soul album

There are others in both categories but these came to mind first.

Reaction score
That article looks to be behind a paywall. Could you give us a summary?
Reply.

MSG

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
So much of a drummers sound is often out his control to a large degree. I say that by way of, often in the studio an engineer will mix a snare sound that sounds great through the headphones and you think while recording a song man this snare/kit sounds incredible. You think to yourself, I can't wait for my family and friends to hear this. Then after final mix down you hear the recording again only to find some knuckle head engineer put a lot of effects or over compressed everything to try and get the drums to sit better in the mix etc. I have had that happen to me. I'm sure there are a lot of drummers that hate the final mix and their drum sound on the final recordings. I had no say on the sounds on the studio recordings I have done because all bets are off on final mixdown. Its all up the the engineer and what he thinks sounds good and what he is trying to achieve mix wise in the music. These are just my thoughts from personal experience.
I think many drummers get disappointed in the studio, because they are expecting to hear the finished mix in the same drum heavy balance that they have gotten used to when playing the music on drums. Suddenly the snare drum isn't the loudest thing of the song anymore and it feels wrong.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you think of the best sounding snare drum you ever heard on a recording? How about the worst sounding snare?
Not on a recording, but the best sounding snare drum I ever heard was a 14x8 Keplinger cast iron snare drum that had a P70 throw off.
Sweet sound and sensitive to a fault.
The worst sounding snare drum I ever heard was a Duco Sliingerland stage band snare drum. Might've been how it was set up, but the snares never reacted. Ick.

Elvis

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
I've had many bests, but only one worst - the Pearl Vari-Pitch snare. Later, Firchie fixed the concept.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My new 65 Supra 5x14 sounds great as a aluminum snare ; for a wood snare, I love my 66 Pioneer!