The Best SuperGroups Ever Made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
It appears the first rule of billionaire rock star fantasy camp is don't call it billionaire rock star fantasy camp.

Quoting directly from the article referenced above:

"As the eldest son of Westfield Corporation co-founder and Australia’s real-estate king Frank Lowy – not to mention being a formidable businessman in his own right – 66-year-old David Lowy has ridden the executive shuttle to headliner status.

While other new bands tramp the boards of every rat hole in town, he has been able to open a bottomless attaché case and pay top dollar to a conveyor belt of name sidemen, from Guns N’ Roses keyboard player Dizzy Reed to sometime Mötley Crüe singer John Corabi ...

How about that accusation that The Dead Daisies are a rich man’s plaything?

Glenn Hughes: “On paper it might look that way. That was the thing that queried me. Yes, David’s got a nice jet. We fly around the world on that jet. It’s great for me, I’m getting older now. But trust me when I tell you that David is so on-point when he’s in the room with us. He is all rock, rock, rock. And ‘Let’s rock some more.’

Call me cynical, but the Dead Daisies are exactly what they appear to be -- musicians earning a paycheck from a bored 67-year-old billionaire.

I wasn't mad at Dead Daisies until they desecrated "Fortunate Son" with no irony whatsoever. FTG

Even presented with direct evidence that he's wrong @Bandit will never accept it. He lives in a parallel fantasy land. Just don't mention Peart's attempt at Big Band being terrible and you might escape...

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is it that Grand Funk Railroad isn't mentioned here? While none of the members (Don Brewer, Mel Schacher and Mark Farner) have as famous reputations as the likes of Tom Petty or Eric Clapton, they were still a powerhouse rock trio in the 70's. How soon we forget.
None of them were famous before that band . Supergroups are made of folks that were known in other bands 1st .

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even presented with direct evidence that he's wrong @Bandit will never accept it. He lives in a parallel fantasy land. Just don't mention Peart's attempt at Big Band being terrible and you might escape...
It wasn’t terrible …so what if he didn’t swing his butt off ???

That’s a tired old lazy comment .

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And being funded by a rich guy does not mean The Dead Daises are not a supergroup. How do they not meet the criteria????

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
It's early, but I have to be the first to wish a Happy First Birthday to this thread that began on May 19, 2021.

Thanks to all who contributed. You're all super in my book.

birthday.png

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
And being funded by a rich guy does not mean The Dead Daises are not a supergroup. How do they not meet the criteria????
Exactly. Even from my alternate universe it is plain as day. :)

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Miles Davis Quintet I
John Coltrane Quartet
Miles Davis Quintet II
Led Zeppelin
Blood, Sweat & Tears
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Chicago Transit Authority
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Steely Dan
Earth, Wind & Fire
Return to Forever
Steps Ahead

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're not swinging your butt off, then what are you doing backing a big band?
It’s called paying homage to someone .
He knew he didn’t “ Swing his butt off “
and sought advice and lessons ..

And besides this subject has been beaten to death , you aren’t enlightening anyone .

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Neil play a role in funding and spurheading those events ???

Reaction score
In my opinion he did not “ utterly butcher “ it ….
I think you're very much in the minority there. And that's fine. It's just evidence that you've never listened to any Big Band or swing-based music - which is entirely your choice.

My late Grandmother was a better swinger.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're very much in the minority there. And that's fine. It's just evidence that you've never listened to any Big Band or swing-based music - which is entirely your choice.

My late Grandmother was a better swinger.
Go troll someone else ……I definitely know how to swing …

Status
Not open for further replies.