The Big Roundhouse Fill--recorded examples?

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Okay, I'm usually a 4 or 5 piece guy but on occasion I will bust out my Pearl "Octaplus" for some old-school fun in the drum room and it got me to thinking--assuming the big 'round the kit fills really got going with the advent of the Octaplus and Hal Blaine, how many records actually have that type of 7-8 tom fill??
I can only think of a few offhand (sorry I don't know how to post links), but Neil Peart near the end of Bastille Day (I think it's "only" 7 Toms), Carl Palmer on the 1st Impression of Karn Evil 9 before the popular section that gets played on the radio, and Roger Taylor near the end of Fat Bottom Girls. Now I'm sure hundreds if not thousands of drummers have done it live on stage, but for as popular as the huge kits of the 70s-80s were, I can't think of any others right now. Thoughts??....

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Limelite, Tom Sawyer, Necromancer, Cameras eye, and probably more from the Great One.....

Good call on Queen. Only the Good Die Young? In the Air Tonite? Black Betty? Not sure off the top of my head..... Looking forward to replies.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Limelite, Tom Sawyer, Necromancer, Cameras eye, and probably more from the Great One.....

Good call on Queen. Only the Good Die Young? In the Air Tonite? Black Betty? Not sure off the top of my head..... Looking forward to replies.
Nice! I knew I would be missing some obvious ones. To clarify, I'm talking about a fill where each tom gets 4 or 8 hits (8th or 16th notes) from the smallest rack to the largest floor .

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If memory serves, because I have grown out of going back and checking, there is an 8-tom fill in "Love Gun", by Kiss.

J

jaymandude

Maye Dennis Chambers ? I don't have a link but he's a guy I'd check, and Cobham too

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Karen Carpenter really had her business straight, as did Hal Blaine

Here's two you may not be familiar with - the second one has peekaboo toms throughout .

.. and one I'm sure you are -

Last edited:

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was a Virginia private school kid in the 90s and then went to UVA, so I can forgive myself for knowing this music kinda well, even though more or less nothing about it other than Carter's playing holds up.
He goes partway around a few times, before finally going around what sounds like 7 or 8 drums (including the snare?) Totalling three measures I think (I just counted it, but already forgot what I came up with)

In the instructional video he only actually uses 4 toms.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Although I’ve tried, I can never seem to keep my hands on the steering wheel whenever I hear Phil Collins’s break of 32nd notes on “Duke’s Travels/Duke’s End”, by Genesis. With that many notes, he’s got time to go down the kit and still come back up again.

At 9:12

Last edited:

jb78

Reaction score
How about the fills at the beginning of the Frankenstein (Edgar Winter) solo?!

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The song Brother to Brother on Gino Vannelli"s Brother to Brother album, Mark Craney played a masterful roundhouse fill towards the end of the song.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Metallica, Hit the lights. First fill of the song