The Biggest Rock Drumming Myths

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Says the guy with huge kits, and chops for days. Glad he doesn't practice what he preaches. :) Nice to finally see him play matched grip though. :)

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Todd is easily one of the greatest drummers playing today--but imho he WAY OVERPLAYS the Styx material!! Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD...my God it gets to be ridiculous after a few songs. He must be getting the green light from his bosses up above, so more power to him I suppose

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ah, but he has the maturity and taste to realize that he could walk the walk if he chose to. I respect that.
Ah, but it would had have SO much more weight if he was playing a four piece during this installment on Drumeo.

Something like-"You guys are used to seeing me behind a six piece with a 20" gong drum....etc. But let me show you how effective a simple four piece can be..."

I mean, has anyone ever seen him play any other style of kit?

I would also like to see the reverse-a player known for Playng a four piece getting behind a nice six piece and demonstrating how effective a larger kit can be.

Having said that, kudos to him and Drumeo for putting this out there. Hopefully reach the guys and gals who need to hear it to break free of "the bondage of the myth".

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ah, but it would had have SO much more weight if he was playing a four piece during this installment on Drumeo.

Something like-"You guys are used to seeing me behind a six piece with a 20" gong drum....etc. But let me show you how effective a simple four piece can be..."

I mean, has anyone ever seen him play any other style of kit?

I would also like to see the reverse-a player known for Playng a four piece getting behind a nice six piece and demonstrating how effective a larger kit can be.

Having said that, kidos to him and Drumeo for putting this out there. Hopefully reach the guys and gals who need to hear it to break free of "the bondage of the myth".
I get what you're saying, and I agree that would be an interesting video. But the intent here wasn't to prove anything, just to offer advice. I think he's right on all three counts.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, and I agree that would be an interesting video. But the intent here wasn't to prove anything, just to offer advice. I think he's right on all three counts.
And I agree with you on that...Hence the "Having said that, kudos to him and Drumeo for putting this out there. Hopefully reach the guys and gals who need to hear it to break free of "the bondage of the myth"."

In my post...

:wink:

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
He's not putting down big kits or chops, he's just saying play what's appropriate for the music.
K Aranoff might take exception on hitting hard but, most of us have learned these things as we played out or recorded.
Myth #4 Thinking my set-up, my tuning, my technique,my drumming rules are what's appropriate for other drummers.
If you need to break somebody's rules to do it your way, you've got a right, you're take is the only original thing you have to offer, but it's gotta work for the music.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
He's not putting down big kits or chops, he's just saying play what's appropriate for the music.
What he is saying is all common sense really. Don't hit too hard, don't need a big kit or chops to play rock, but having a big kit, and chops can make your tool set more versatile.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Todd is easily one of the greatest drummers playing today--but imho he WAY OVERPLAYS the Styx material!! Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD...my God it gets to be ridiculous after a few songs. He must be getting the green light from his bosses up above, so more power to him I suppose
- If he's overplaying the material, why does he still have the gig after lo these many years? From what I have seen, not giving the band what it wants tends to result in an open calendar and alternate careers in grounds maintenance, Walmart or Uber.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
- If he's overplaying the material, why does he still have the gig after lo these many years? From what I have seen, not giving the band what it wants tends to result in an open calendar and alternate careers in grounds maintenance, Walmart or Uber.
I clearly stated that he MUST be getting the green light from the higher-ups, so may as well keep doing it...obviously somebody in charge approves--I'm just talking from a personal taste perspective. It's tough to say he DOESN'T overstuff every song with way-over-the-top fills. Todd is off the charts talented and maybe TS or JY requested busier playing, but it's a looooong way from the John Panozzo days.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I clearly stated that he MUST be getting the green light from the higher-ups, so may as well keep doing it...obviously somebody in charge approves--I'm just talking from a personal taste perspective. It's tough to say he DOESN'T overstuff every song with way-over-the-top fills. Todd is off the charts talented and maybe TS or JY requested busier playing, but it's a looooong way from the John Panozzo days.
Maybe John was under playing. :)

Latest posts