The Biggest Rock Drumming Myths

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I clearly stated that he MUST be getting the green light from the higher-ups, so may as well keep doing it...obviously somebody in charge approves--I'm just talking from a personal taste perspective. It's tough to say he DOESN'T overstuff every song with way-over-the-top fills. Todd is off the charts talented and maybe TS or JY requested busier playing, but it's a looooong way from the John Panozzo days.
- He's kept the gig. That means he's not overplaying per the ears of those writing the checks. If he worked for you he might well change his approach.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Man I have been the biggest supporter of myth one for so many years! The first time I ever saw Todd was when he was touring with Journey, Styx and Reo. Right away I could tell there was something special about Todd. The chops are one thing but his feel, his touch and the way he tuned clued me in right away that he was the real deal. Dean Castronovo was with Journey and while I know he is a good player, he bashed the crap out of those drums and his sound was distorted and I thought his cymbals would explode! Chad Smith plays like that too and I can't stand it. I much prefer to see a guy like Todd, Vinne or Steve Smith get a great sound out of the drums and cymbals VS someone that absolutely destroys a drum set. In my opinion cymbals are instruments with lots of tonal capabilities and I don't care to see someone bash them to death.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Wasn't Todd a member here for a while?...maybe that was the DCI forum.
Anyway, 100% what he said. The man is not wrong.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Wasn't Todd a member here for a while?...maybe that was the DCI forum.
Anyway, 100% what he said. The man is not wrong.
He was on drumsmith for a while. I've talked to him a bit through PM on facebook, when he's off the road he lives in Austin area (or did not sure still?) I'd love to take a lesson but when he's been available I've been broke :)

I'll look for it, there's a video of him playing in a club sitting in with a band on "Don't Stop Believing" and it's a 5 piece Ludwig kit I believe.
edit: here it is, I'm sure VB will enjoy!

Last edited:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've watched the video but for me the biggest myths to overcome are when anyone tells you "This is how it should ALWAYS be done" or "You need a big kit for..." or "All you need is..."

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score

mpungercar

Reaction score
He was on drumsmith for a while. I've talked to him a bit through PM on facebook, when he's off the road he lives in Austin area (or did not sure still?) I'd love to take a lesson but when he's been available I've been broke :)

I'll look for it, there's a video of him playing in a club sitting in with a band on "Don't Stop Believing" and it's a 5 piece Ludwig kit I believe.
edit: here it is, I'm sure VB will enjoy!
Looks like Todd took the time to learn Steve Smith's drum part.

Latest posts