The Biggest Rock Drumming Myths

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
He was on drumsmith for a while. I've talked to him a bit through PM on facebook, when he's off the road he lives in Austin area (or did not sure still?) I'd love to take a lesson but when he's been available I've been broke :)

I'll look for it, there's a video of him playing in a club sitting in with a band on "Don't Stop Believing" and it's a 5 piece Ludwig kit I believe.
edit: here it is, I'm sure VB will enjoy!
Thanks for posting that, it was great. Love Todd’s playing.

Tom Holder

Reaction score
I could not agree more with what Todd Sucherman says here.

This man has great wisdom. It's all about the song and playing what fits. I have a picture of Al Jackson Jr. hanging up in my music room. He's totally my guy. He played what was right for the song with a great groove. I love listening to Buddy Rich and Billy Cobham too. Those guys are awesome masters of their instrument. Sometimes, though, Ringo is all you need.

Tom Holder

Reaction score
After I posted my remark, I thought about how smooth and right Gene Chrisman sounds on "Son of a Preacher Man". Can you imagine John Bonham on that cut? Or for that matter, Gene on "Ramble On"? Heh-heh!

ludwigjim

Reaction score
I get what you're saying, and I agree that would be an interesting video. But the intent here wasn't to prove anything, just to offer advice. I think he's right on all three counts.
I agree with Radio King. Play for the song and sit in the pocket and keep it tasty. Four piece is never the wrong choice. Great meter helps too.

Latest posts