The Black Crowes on Howard

73Rogers

Reaction score
I just read Gorman's book. If either of the Robinsons read it, there's no way they're calling him. He spends 300+ pages bashing them, especially Chris. He goes into detail about how he went from a 1/3 partner in the band to almost a hired gun after Chris demanded to make all the money and Rich went along with it.
I saw them in 2009 and was surprised by the circus going on outside the venue. Chris stopped the show 3x mid-song to rant at the security people trying to enforce the venue's no smoking policy. There were spots of great music but overall left me disappointed.

Bgood

Reaction score
They are my favorite band and from reading Steve's book I don't think he would play even if asked. People and personalities aside, I love the songs. Rich is a great guitar player and Chris usually delivers if not too wasted or being bitchy about something.

They'll put a good show together and I just put $500 into their shaking money maker box with mixed feelings about it. Playing Shake Your Money Maker on this trip is quite cheeky of them. I'm in!

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's all about the Robinson Bros, and making money. CRB and Magpie Salute didn't make money. Sad thing is - we KNOW - but I'm guessing a good 80% of their fan base could care less who's in the band other than the Brothers Robinson. They just want to go to the live show and hear the hits. and there's this...

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
I just read Gorman's book. If either of the Robinsons read it, there's no way they're calling him. He spends 300+ pages bashing them, especially Chris. He goes into detail about how he went from a 1/3 partner in the band to almost a hired gun after Chris demanded to make all the money and Rich went along with it.
I saw them in 2009 and was surprised by the circus going on outside the venue. Chris stopped the show 3x mid-song to rant at the security people trying to enforce the venue's no smoking policy. There were spots of great music but overall left me disappointed.
And people ask why live venues died. Spend too much time chasing off customers.

Last edited:

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Black Crowes are the Robinson Brothers it’s that simple .
Ah, no... Steve is a founding member of the Black Crowes. Period. As many have already stated, this is nothing more than a money grab by Chris and Rich.

It would be like Mick Jagger and Keith Richards putting together a band with pretty good sidemen and calling it The Rolling Stones. Would people go? Sure. Would it sound good? Probably. Would it be the same? Not even close.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
IMO they HAD to market this as the Black Crowes if they wanted to continue to make music anyone would actually listen to. I saw the Chris Robinson Fellowship perform and there was seriously about 40 people in the audience, they were giving tickets away. Rich’s Magpie band probably suffered the same fate, so if they want to make any money playing music it’s revive the BC name or be mired in obscurity.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
IMO they HAD to market this as the Black Crowes if they wanted to continue to make music anyone would actually listen to. I saw the Chris Robinson Fellowship perform and there was seriously about 40 people in the audience, they were giving tickets away. Rich’s Magpie band probably suffered the same fate, so if they want to make any money playing music it’s revive the BC name or be mired in obscurity.
Likely money losing ventures, hence the need to tolerate each other for a little while.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Ah, no... Steve is a founding member of the Black Crowes. Period. As many have already stated, this is nothing more than a money grab by Chris and Rich.

It would be like Mick Jagger and Keith Richards putting together a band with pretty good sidemen and calling it The Rolling Stones. Would people go? Sure. Would it sound good? Probably. Would it be the same? Not even close.
I guess you're being ironic because the current Rolling Stones Touring Band features Darryle Jones on bass, Matt Clifford on Keyboards and Tim
And people ask why live venues died. Spend too much time chasing off customers.
I don't know how many shows they are doing this tour. If it's more than 15 does anyone want to start a betting pool as to when they implode during the tour?
The tour they announced will hit 45 cities next summer. Personally, I'm glad I saw them 10 years ago.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess you're being ironic because the current Rolling Stones Touring Band features Darryle Jones on bass, Matt Clifford on Keyboards and Tim

The tour they announced will hit 45 cities next summer. Personally, I'm glad I saw them 10 years ago.
Nope, not being ironic. And I think you meant Chuck Leavell on keyboards. Chuck, Darryl, Tim, Bernard Fowler et al are all well-paid sidemen. Not band members. Any or all of them can be replaced.

The Rolling Stones are four equal band members: Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie (yes, Ronnie is a full band member) and to do a tour without even just one band member would not be The Rolling Stones.

Steve was a founding member of the Black Crowes and an equal partner. That was my point.

jmato

Reaction score
The music sounds good in the vid. i won't go see them, as I am in the Gorman camp on this one. Also, when I play drums live, I hope I look like I am having more fun than that.

happyshump

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but no thanks. I’m a big fan, but not of this line up and obvious money grab by the brothers.

Last edited: