The Buddy Rich Show 1982

ChrisBabbitt

Reaction score
I believe that's Donny Osborn playing behind Mel. Must have been nerve-racking for him.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
OH MY!! I am alive again! I forgot who I was. A big chunk of me woke up. Hey, Ray can jazz! Terry
P.S. I wish Longroll was here to watch it. Maybe he is? Buddy just reminded me of why he thrilled me back in high school. I don't have adequate adjectives.
P.P.S. Those Ludwigs sounded great, I must admit. The cymbals were spot on too.

Last edited:

skydawg

Reaction score
I`ve seen and heard him play those four bars in Love For Sale for over 50 yrs,and I still can`t friggin` believe it.

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
Too bad the network didn't buy the show. Those Luddies do sound nice!

At the end of each episode, it was planned that Buddy would take a random audience member into a bus and scream obscenities at him. :director:

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
When I was in stagehand back in the 60s I would have used the term "straight beat" for what Buddy played on "Birdland." It's rock with syncopation but with a lot of swing. Obviously not Bohnam or Baker style of rock but a jazzy rock? Ace

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh my god that last minute of "Love For Sale" was friggin' from another planet. Even he looked exhausted at the end of it.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, as fantastic as these pilot episodes were, it doesn't surprise me at all that this show wasn't picked up. The demographic that would appreciate it was vanishingly small by 1982. To someone not into jazz, it probably looked like Lawrence Welk. Buddy ordinarily had a charismatic stage presence, but in this he looked unprepared for the mic. The choice of guests didn't help - Woody Herman in particular by then was a poor choice... Buddy and his fans might appreciate his presence, but not the general public. The staging was also a bit weak - Mulligan was relegated to being Mel Torme's accompanist, so he just looked like some old guy. And if I weren't into jazz, I'd think the Stan Getz pairing rambled on forever. The show desperately needed some younger guests, like Chick Corea, Freddie Hubbard, Mike Stern, etc. As it was, to a network exec it probably looked like a bunch of old white guys reliving their bygone years. An incredible piece of history, but also a missed opportunity.

BTW, Lin Biviano on lead trumpet, I think. And did Buddy ever mention Steve Marcus' name? His band's best soloist for many years, he was an incredible player deserving of wider renown.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In all honesty, as fantastic as these pilot episodes were, it doesn't surprise me at all that this show wasn't picked up. The demographic that would appreciate it was vanishingly small by 1982. To someone not into jazz, it probably looked like Lawrence Welk. Buddy ordinarily had a charismatic stage presence, but in this he looked unprepared for the mic. The choice of guests didn't help - Woody Herman in particular by then was a poor choice... Buddy and his fans might appreciate his presence, but not the general public. The staging was also a bit weak - Mulligan was relegated to being Mel Torme's accompanist, so he just looked like some old guy. And if I weren't into jazz, I'd think the Stan Getz pairing rambled on forever. The show desperately needed some younger guests, like Chick Corea, Freddie Hubbard, Mike Stern, etc. As it was, to a network exec it probably looked like a bunch of old white guys reliving their bygone years. An incredible piece of history, but also a missed opportunity.

BTW, Lin Biviano on lead trumpet, I think. And did Buddy ever mention Steve Marcus' name? His band's best soloist for many years, he was an incredible player deserving of wider renown.

Sadly - as I'm sure you feel - you speak the truth. If only this had been for Public TV, then it might have flown, but PBS wouldn't have had the bucks that these guys were probably looking for - and deserved. At that time I believe some PBS stations were actually showing old Lawrence Welk reruns, as seen in my grandmother's house(hah!).

Thank goodness this does exist!

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
+1, and true....and dang LW is still on the cable channels...too bad THIS isn't...priceless!

Latest posts