The Camco makes an impression

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, I'm back to work in the Orchestra and its a lot of smaller ensembles and short concerts this year. This week we are rehearsing for concert featuring a large Brass ensemble with a couple of Percussionists helping out.
A drum set was needed, so instead of using the Orchestra's 20+ year old Yamaha Recording Customs, I figured I would bring in my recently "restored" Oaklawn Camco kit (20-12-14), as I really wanted to hear it.
The day after the first rehearsals the recording engineer (we record for later radio broadcast) came up to me and said he was blown away by the sound sound of the drums (this, from a guy who owns his own recording studio with several house kits). I also received many complements from my colleagues.
This set up is for an arrangement of "American in Paris" by Gershwin and "A Londoner in New York" by Jim Parker. And yes, those are tuned taxi horns. The snare is a 1968 Rogers COB Dyna.

image000000 (9).jpg

Germandrummer

Reaction score
So, I'm back to work in the Orchestra and its a lot of smaller ensembles and short concerts this year. This week we are rehearsing for concert featuring a large Brass ensemble with a couple of Percussionists helping out.
A drum set was needed, so instead of using the Orchestra's 20+ year old Yamaha Recording Customs, I figured I would bring in my recently "restored" Oaklawn Camco kit (20-12-14), as I really wanted to hear it.
The day after the first rehearsals the recording engineer (we record for later radio broadcast) came up to me and said he was blown away by the sound sound of the drums (this, from a guy who owns his own recording studio with several house kits). I also received many complements from my colleagues.
This set up is for an arrangement of "American in Paris" by Gershwin and "A Londoner in New York" by Jim Parker. And yes, those are tuned taxi horns. The snare is a 1968 Rogers COB Dyna.

View attachment 469885
Any chance to hear that recording on the internet?

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they sounded as good as they look! Really cool set-up.

Jolo

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a nice setup for some great music. Camco drums were known to record well, microphones seem to love them.
I once had Terry Kath's (Chicago band guitarist/vocalist) Camco Oaklawn Walnut 22/12/13/14/16/6+x14 studio set.
On my last studio session I used an Oaklawn 20/12/14 and the sound was dialed in super fast.
I also used a brass Supraphonic and a Jerry Jenkins Blaemire shell snare made with Camco Aristocrat (Turret) lugs.
Note the muffling on the old K ride cymbal... lol.

Attachments

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm really humbled by everyone's enjoyment of this post.....I wasn't expecting that. After a few rehearsals, I tweaked the set up a bit more ergonomically. We have about 15 players on this stage and we are all at least 8 feet apart in every direction due to the current situation and the fact that Brass players can't play with a mask on. This makes it difficult to sync with someone 30+ feet away.

image000000 (10).jpg
image000000 (10).jpg
image000001 (5).jpg

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What a nice setup for some great music. Camco drums were known to record well, microphones seem to love them.
I once had Terry Kath's (Chicago band guitarist/vocalist) Camco Oaklawn Walnut 22/12/13/14/16/6+x14 studio set.
On my last studio session I used an Oaklawn 20/12/14 and the sound was dialed in super fast.
I also used a brass Supraphonic and a Jerry Jenkins Blaemire shell snare made with Camco Aristocrat (Turret) lugs.
Very cool!! I'll give you $50 cash for that SD! ;)

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
Loving that Blaemire/Camco snare drum! :love4:

red66charger

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is so awesome, Kurt! Can you share any additional information on the show? It's not obvious to me which one it is on the TFO website.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is so awesome, Kurt! Can you share any additional information on the show? It's not obvious to me which one it is on the TFO website.
We finished performing the works last Saturday and Sunday. Normally, I have no difficulty having everyone locking into my time, however as I mentioned before, there were people spread out and as far away as 35 feet from me (purely acoustic). A few times the ensemble was slightly off. The other challenge is when one plays drum set and all the accessories as well, you have to scan ahead while reading so you are ready to engage/disengage the snares, pick up the Triangle beater, honk the horns with hands only or sometimes with hands while holding sticks (for an immediate SD entrance). This is the stock and trade of every Broadway pit drummer since the beginning of time....but it takes practice and experience to make it flow. In three weeks we will be performing the Schwantner Percussion Concerto with our Principal percussionist. I'll be in a supporting role with two other colleagues playing many of the same figures as the soloist.

Last edited:

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score

View attachment 469885
Amazing!

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Camco's are amazing and I always love a Dyno, but to me the real story is the tuned Taxi horns. Are they vintage, what brand? Leedy? Ludwig? Acme?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 469885
Wow!
What cymbals did you choose?

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Camco's are amazing and I always love a Dyno, but to me the real story is the tuned Taxi horns. Are they vintage, what brand? Leedy? Ludwig? Acme?
All four are tuned and stamped (A-B-C and D) and have small stickers on the inside of each bell that say "Made in India". We replaced the rubber bulbs about 5-6 years ago due to severe cracking. The replacements came from Germany and fit perfectly. I joined the Orchestra in 1983 and they were already here.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
T
14" Sabian hi-hats, 8" K. Zildjian Splash, 18" A. Zildjian Sizzle (3 rivets on one side) which all belong to the Orchestra. I brought in my 20" K. Zildjian Istanbul (Intermediate Stamp) for the ride.
That A sizzle looks nice. Newer pie, eh? What model? Crash of some kind?

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
T

That A sizzle looks nice. Newer pie, eh? What model? Crash of some kind?
To be honest, I'm not sure. We got it new about two years ago. The effect was to help simulate a steam locomotive releasing steam pressure (TSSSssssss...) for a movement called "Grand Central" (Station).

poetman

Reaction score
Never thought I would say this, but I am more eager to hear the tuned taxi horns than the drums! Any audio?