The Conn Factory circa 1911

DonS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is simply an amazing series of photographs; http://www.oberloh.com/gallery/Connfactoryimages.htm
Take your time and have a good look around, you'll eventually get to the drum dept.
The number of employees is staggering, a lotta woik!
Enjoy!

Regards
DonS

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Those really are amazing especially since they are 100 years old! Thanks for posting!

pan60

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
WOW!
i would love to find some of that old tooling!
:occasion5:

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
thanks for that link. those pics were amazing, a total different time and era. makes you want to go out and find an instrument that would have been made there during that time.

mike

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow....just amazing. Thanks for posting these. On youtube there is a video of a tour of the Wurlitzer Jukebox factory, where they made EVERYTHING in the jukebox in the plant. Pretty Amazing. Today, all we do is assemble parts made in 3rd world countries.

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
An incredible photo collection! And timely, given all the talk about how we don't make anything here, anymore. I'd guess most of us alive today have never been in a true manufacturing plant like that one. I'd love to be a fly on the wall...marko

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
Excellent! How many companies today have a picture of their factory as part of their ad campaign? Very cool.

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That was a real fun photo tour of the days long gone. Real craftmanship and some interesting methods of construction.

Lead in the brass tubes to avoid kinking? That is one way to do it! Being an Electrician by trade, I found the big generator most interesting. Steam turned, I guess.

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
The equipment was amazing! All the lathes, presses, etc were massive pieces, with heavy stands & bases--no vibration with those big boys. And the line shaft set-up was very cool. No guards on any of those big belts. I really dug the big forms for shaping the instrument cases, with the glued-up veneers being pressed into shape........marko