The Daily Higgins.

Kcmcc

Reaction score
So, I've been around here occasionally posting for a pretty long time, but I was much more active at Holics (and at 'Ologist evenmoreso while it lasted). I had a thread going there on and off, with a different Billy Higgins track each day. Since some of my fellow 50s-60s jazz nerds (even though I don't play jazz at all really, it's the main body of my listening) from elsewhere may be feeling lonely, I figured I'd see how it played over here. I figured I'd start with four tracks just to show different sides of Billy (starting with avant garde and a a ballad with the same title, but different tunes!). Feel free to contribute your own entries.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
Got on a Higgins kick lately with Cedar Walton. Love his playing. Really like Ornette and Love Sidewinder. Thanks!

Medium Size Dog

Reaction score
One of my all time favorites is an album with wind player Paul Horn called Something Blue. It also had the amazing Percussion player/vibist Emil Richards. From 1960. Billy Higgins already had incredible talent and taste.

Kcmcc

Reaction score
an hour of Higgins live (this should have a time stamp to start out at a little bit where Ron talks about him and they play a Higgins composition, but absolutely rewind to the beginning)

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Billy Higgins reminds us what jazz players want from a drummer: immaculate timekeeping, grooving like crazy, supportive comping, and soloing that compliments the tune. Everybody is into chop monster drummers like Dave Weckl, et al. I'm not knocking those guys, but what Billy did was singular and impossible to copy. Billy is an example of the real magic of drumming--which has nothing to do with your amazing chops. It's so deep, you will never get it in a practice room.

Kcmcc

Reaction score
That's cool stuff (I let it count as the daily, cause I had a pretty busy one yesterday!
This one is much lower quality video and sound, but it's a really cool artifact, and it is burning once you get past the fidelity issues (even if the main ride cymbal is pretty awful sounding). I think this is from the same tour as the "Our Man in Jazz" album. This is about as outside as Sonny gets as far as I know.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
That's cool stuff (I let it count as the daily, cause I had a pretty busy one yesterday!
This one is much lower quality video and sound, but it's a really cool artifact, and it is burning once you get past the fidelity issues (even if the main ride cymbal is pretty awful sounding). I think this is from the same tour as the "Our Man in Jazz" album. This is about as outside as Sonny gets as far as I know.

That is so great. Thanks for posting.

Latest posts