The Dawn of Brushes

KCJazz

Reaction score
Some old time drummers called them fly swatters. Is this the origin of drummers' wire brushes?

Attachments

• fig01.jpg
    fig01.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 34

KCJazz

Reaction score
"ever been to a cat house that didn't have fly swatters?"

(mods that's an old joke where jass jazz was once very prolific)
...and before jass, ragtime! My town was slow to catch onto jazz. Jellyroll Morton was in KC briefly. He said "they don't have any jazz and they don't want any!" KC was a ragtime town at the time.

Reactions: JDA

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
Was this originally patented as a fly swatter or a brush as we now know it?
I was wrong on the date. The pic cuts off the date which is actually 1977 not 1911.

Patents by Inventor Joseph D. Calato

BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION
The invention of the present application relates to drum brushes, i.e. brush-like devices employed by drummers to obtain a swishing sound from a snare drum, other drums of similar type and/or a cymbal. Since the sound obtained when using a drum brush varies with the spread of the brush, and thus the area of the drum head or cymbal contacted by the brush, it is known to encase such a brush telescopically in a tube, whereby the bristles may be extended and retracted to adjust the amount of protrusion of the bristles and obtain the desired amount of spreading. It is common for the drummer using the brush to bend the stem or handle thereof to provide a stop when the brush is extended the predetermined, desired amount.

Objects of the present invention are to provide a drum brush that is of simple, inexpensive construction, that is so constructed that it may be easily adjusted to the desired spread without distortion of the stem thereof, that retains the desired spread, and that is easy to use.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have heard from several sources that flyswatters were the OG brushes, but it's hard to be definitive with this stuff.

KCJazz

Reaction score
I was wrong on the date. The pic cuts off the date which is actually 1977 not 1911.

Patents by Inventor Joseph D. Calato

BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION
The invention of the present application relates to drum brushes, i.e. brush-like devices employed by drummers to obtain a swishing sound from a snare drum, other drums of similar type and/or a cymbal. Since the sound obtained when using a drum brush varies with the spread of the brush, and thus the area of the drum head or cymbal contacted by the brush, it is known to encase such a brush telescopically in a tube, whereby the bristles may be extended and retracted to adjust the amount of protrusion of the bristles and obtain the desired amount of spreading. It is common for the drummer using the brush to bend the stem or handle thereof to provide a stop when the brush is extended the predetermined, desired amount.

Objects of the present invention are to provide a drum brush that is of simple, inexpensive construction, that is so constructed that it may be easily adjusted to the desired spread without distortion of the stem thereof, that retains the desired spread, and that is easy to use.

So now we need to fill in the blanks for the other 77 years. The fly killer patent is dated 1900.

You burst my bubble on the 1911 thing.

Last edited: