header.nohb.html

The Day Buddy Rich Quit Drums: He burned his drumsticks at a press conference

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
The most comprehensive biography on Buddy Rich yet: “Buddy Rich: One of a Kind — The Making of the World’s Greatest Drummer,” by Swedish author Pelle Berglund is at the top of my Christmas list.

It promises new details on why the frustrated singer was so filled with rage.

The book, like any arresting biography, reveals things about the multitalented Rich that most don’t know — for instance, when he completely gave up playing drums in the late ’50s to become a singer. “He burned his drumsticks at a press conference at Birdland,” Klauber exclaimed.

The foreword is written by Slipknot drummer Jay Weinberg’s father, Max.

David Hunter

DFO Master
Reaction score
I hope there's more to the new book than those revelations, as they were documented (minus the burning sticks) in Tormé's book back in 1991.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
He ain't playing too much today.

When in the early 50s he went out front to sing he hired Philly Joe Jones. Picked him up and they drove together to the gigs.
No recorded history only verbal- of it.

Almost as rare as Elvin Jones for a few months (in 1966) touring with Duke Ellington. (in addition to verbal accounts) There are true recorded examples of that on Youtube.

Last edited:

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez, will you give it a rest?

1577374787572.png

Done.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

where the term dropping bombs occured/developed/ was Coined..
(incoming. beginning at 3:00 high)...

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
So, I think this is a new function on DFO ... On the top left, where you can choose a page from 1 to 3925, you can choose the ... in the middle to bring up a fillable box where you can type in any number you like. Today, I chose the dreaded "Number of the Beast" and re-discovered this bit of news from 2019.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I think Buddy Rich’s announcement that he was quitting the drums must have been a lot like Michael Jordan quitting the NBA in 1993 to play baseball — except Jordan fell short on theatrics by not setting a basketball on fire.

Last edited: