The Double Drummer Renaissance Gains Momentum as Tedeschi Trucks Adds Second Drum Kit, Again

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
One of the amazing aspects of drumming is how quickly trends play out. It seems it was only yesterday that we began witnessing "The Total Extinction of Double Drummer Bands," but it was November 2020 when both King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard and Tedeschi Trucks announced they would not be cutting a second drummer in on each gig's proceeds. (https://www.drumforum.org/threads/we’re-witnessing-the-total-extinction-of-two-drummer-bands.179169/

Well, earlier this week, Tedeschi Trucks announced that they just couldn't play "Whipping Post" and other endless covers without the added boom-schmack of a second drumset as they announced the addition of multi-instrumentalist Isaac Eady during a set of shows under the plume of marijuana smoke that hangs over Red Rocks. No word on what happened to J.J. Johnson who left the hyphenated band nine months ago.

Part of it may have been FOMO as Eady was added after Journey made the bizarre decision in July to put both Narada Michael Walden and Deen Castronovo on "Loving, Touching, Squeezin" and other harmonic hits. Walden was hired in May 2020 after long-time drummer Steve Smith launched a failed "band coup" involving the band's management and Smith's desire to never play "Faithfully" again.

The double-drummer resurgence gained strength when Nathanial Ratliff appeared on "Saturday Night Live" with two drumming members of his Nightsweats.

Here's an article about the Tedeschi-Trucks the announcement that includes video of Tedeschi-Trucks dual drummers warming up to play one of the 50-year-old songs that audiences who remember the Moon landing love to hear.

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
One of the amazing aspects of drumming is how quickly trends play out. It seems it was only yesterday that we began witnessing "The Total Extinction of Double Drummer Bands," but it was November 2020 when both King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard and Tedeschi Trucks announced they would not be cutting a second drummer in on each gig's proceeds. (https://www.drumforum.org/threads/we’re-witnessing-the-total-extinction-of-two-drummer-bands.179169/

Well, earlier this week, Tedeschi Trucks announced that they just couldn't play "Whipping Post" and other endless covers without the added boom-schmack of a second drumset as they announced the addition of multi-instrumentalist Isaac Eady during a set of shows under the plume of marijuana smoke that hangs over Red Rocks. No word on what happened to J.J. Johnson who left the hyphenated band nine months ago.

Part of it may have been FOMO as Eady was added after Journey made the bizarre decision in July to put both Narada Michael Walden and Deen Castronovo on "Loving, Touching, Squeezin" and other harmonic hits. Walden was hired in May 2020 after long-time drummer Steve Smith launched a failed "band coup" involving the band's management and Smith's desire to never play "Faithfully" again.

The double-drummer resurgence gained strength when Nathanial Ratliff appeared on "Saturday Night Live" with two drumming members of his Nightsweats.

Here's an article about the Tedeschi-Trucks the announcement that includes video of Tedeschi-Trucks dual drummers warming up to play one of the 50-year-old songs that audiences who remember the Moon landing love to hear.

There are plenty of people who weren't around for the moon landing, but love to hear those 50 year old songs played well and played live.

I came of age during the height of grunge in the early 90's, and not only am I into these 50 year old songs, I'm into 100 year old songs! That doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else, it simply reflects my own interest in great music, no matter the age and provenance. Music is one of those few wonderful things that allow you to transcend the time and place you happen to have been born in and to build empathy and appreciation for others, so why knock people liking old music? If it's old people liking the old music of their youth, I still don't see what the problem is or why you would care. Just detected some cynicism and I'm not sure why.

Now, if you want to discuss the merits of bands who play original music versus a band that plays so many covers, that's a separate conversation I'd be happy to have. If the point is to discuss the merits of using two drummers, that's also a different and very interesting conversation.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
GiveMeYourSmallestSticks, I was just acknowledging the unique position of this band of young 40-year-olds playing songs older than themselves for an audience who want to hear familiar songs.

I'm not cynical about it as much as I'm amazed that so little of the music of the past 40 years appeals to the Tedeschi-Trucks audience. (The photo is from the band's 2018 tour. https://nysmusic.com/2018/07/23/tedeschi-trucks-band-take-fans-on-a-journey-in-artpark/)
tedeschi-trucks.jpg

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
GiveMeYourSmallestSticks, I was just acknowledging the unique position of this band of young 40-year-olds playing songs older than themselves for an audience who want to hear familiar songs.

I'm not cynical about it as much as I'm amazed that so little of the music of the past 40 years appeals to the Tedeschi-Trucks audience. (The photo is from the band's 2018 tour. https://nysmusic.com/2018/07/23/tedeschi-trucks-band-take-fans-on-a-journey-in-artpark/)
View attachment 511258

Looks like just about every live music crowd around here. I've said it before, old dudes playing old music to old people. When they die, who knows what will be left.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think bands like the Allman Bros. probably did the 2 drummer thing best.

Trucks was the back beat pocket drummer and Jaimo added the accents and fills. It probably held both back from reaching their full potential, but it worked. Not to mention, they did some epic jams and long shows while high and stoned, so neither drummer alone could have gotten through a concert on their own.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think bands like the Allman Bros. probably did the 2 drummer thing best.

Trucks was the back beat pocket drummer and Jaimo added the accents and fills. It probably held both back from reaching their full potential, but it worked. Not to mention, they did some epic jams and long shows while high and stoned, so neither drummer alone could have gotten through a concert on their own.
Ive done long shows high and stoned without another drummer to lean on .

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read they're book, No Way Out (?) and it was ugly and depressing, and I don't think they would have made it through some of those shows alone.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

that's some heck-of-a fire writing introduction there Vista

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"If" the crowd is also drunk and/or stoned, no one can tell (or care) how bad the drummer is flubbin' it. It creates a kind of feedback loop.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the trend in double drummers is an act of altruism in keeping two drummers employed when a year ago, they might've had little to no work.

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've seen Tedeschi-Trucks twice (both shows with 2 drummers) and I will hopefully see them many more times. The band is powerful, tight and soulful... and Susan's voice gets me every time. It's like musical church...

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand it from a musical sense although I can see some theatrical advantages. Unless both drummers parts were written out I can't see how they won't end up stepping all over each other.

We tried it once back in the old days when drum kits weren't miced up. Maybe it gave up more punch. But I hated playing like that. For me, overplaying and filling up all the holes is the most fun. Of course that doesn't sound so good, but it is fun. So even when you hold way back the other guys just fills them in.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Eric "Cocaine" Clapton recently jumped on the double-drummer bandwagon, too. He has paired Steve Gadd and Sonny Emory to play "Bell Bottom Blues" and all his other tunes screaming out for polyrhythm.