The Double Drummer Renaissance Gains Momentum as Tedeschi Trucks Adds Second Drum Kit, Again

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric "Cocaine" Clapton recently jumped on the double-drummer bandwagon, too. He has paired Steve Gadd and Sonny Emory to play "Bell Bottom Blues" and all his other tunes screaming out for polyrhythm.

Not going there...Not going back there, nope!!! :sign5:

This time I'll :happy1:

lamartee

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen Tedeschi-Trucks twice (both shows with 2 drummers) and I will hopefully see them many more times. The band is powerful, tight and soulful... and Susan's voice gets me every time. It's like musical church...
Amen to that!
Going to one of their upcoming shows at their annual Beacon Theater run in a couple of weeks. I've been to several over the years. Always makes you see the Light!
Jorma Kaukonen opening and sitting in with them. Should be amazing.
1632532951369.png

Last edited:

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
King Crimson is still ahead of everyone. They had the double trio in the 90's. Double drums, bass and guitars.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
King Crimson is still ahead of everyone. They had the double trio in the 90's. Double drums, bass and guitars.
They're even more ahead than that... since around 2014 King Crimson's been touring with 3, count 'em — THREE DRUMMERS! The CD they released from their 2014 concert in L.A. proves unequivocally that two of those drummers are completely superfluous.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Brown used multiple drummers with thought provoking results .

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They're even more ahead than that... since around 2014 King Crimson's been touring with 3, count 'em — THREE DRUMMERS! The CD they released from their 2014 concert in L.A. proves unequivocally that two of those drummers are completely superfluous.
Ornette had the two drummers - two bassist thing going in, what, the 50’s? Nothing new under the sun.

I love playing in a band with two drum set players, IF (huge IF) the other drummer is not a mindless hack hell bent on playing his stock set of riffs without regard to what else is going on around him. (Which, I very much agree, is a trap that most bands I see with two drummers fall right into.)

Sun Ra, Ornette, JB, Dead, Allmans - yes please. Genesis, .38 Special, Outlaws, and yes, Tedeschi-Trucks - not so much. Because every time I see one of these bands play, the drummers are essentially mimicking each other. I agree with those who say this is counterproductive. Journey with two drummers? Sounds horrifying.