The Downside To Modern Vintage Kits

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As I’ve posted a lot, I’m a huge fan of Sakae Trilogy drums. I have a shell bank and it is my only kit now (except my 20’s Leedy Rainbow Pearl set which is not the daily driver.)

The struggle I have is matching some of my snares previously owned with the round buttery soft tones of the Trilogy drums related to the vintage edges and healthy amount of Poplar in the shell.

Example is this gem: 14x4.5 solid shell East Indian Rosewood Pork Pie. It’s a killer. Wicked crack and ultimate precision. Does it match with the Trilogy drums? Nope!

The PP is a rare beast (PP only made a couple) and rosewood anything is very elusive now. What would you do?

Attachments

Last edited:

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve got one with the kit. 6.5x14 and it’s nice. It’s really about owning some other really cool snares that aren’t a perfect match. They won’t be easy to re-obtain if I ditch them.

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, the 3ply maple-poplar-maple with the re-rings is the same as the kit, so all good.

Surprisingly, my Angel segment Wenge snare works well with it, but the edges appear to have more round over than the Pork Pie.

jsp210

Reaction score
What would you do?
If you already have the matching snare then enjoy having some snare options with different characteristics. I'm really enjoying the Sakae 14x5.5 oak/beech I recently grabbed on clearance with my Gretsch Broadkasters but have the Broadkaster snare as an option. I'm currently enjoying that one most with my 3-ply Ludwig set. Preferences change as well as the varying situations that call for a particular snare drum in the arsenal.

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
What heads are on the PP snare? Maybe try a real calf-type head (like calf or kangaroo or something)

If the real deal doesn't work, maybe try an Evans Calftone or a Remo Fiberskyn? The Fiberskyns come in different thickness, and I'd go for an Ambassador weight, which feels thicker than a regular Ambassador. That might help warm the drum up a but without loosing the punch of the drum.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What about a Craviotto or some other single ply snare drum? They typically fit in well with vintage drums, but have a bit more crack to them.

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What about a Craviotto or some other single ply snare drum? They typically fit in well with vintage drums, but have a bit more crack to them.
I don’t doubt the Crav’s would integrate. I have plenty of snares that work well with the Trilogy’s. It was a question on what to do with the very cool snares I currently own that do not.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
As I’ve posted a lot, I’m a huge fan of Sakae Trilogy drums. I have a shell bank and it is my only kit now (except my 20’s Leedy Rainbow Pearl set which is not the daily driver.)

The struggle I have is matching some of my snares previously owned with the round buttery soft tones of the Trilogy drums related to the vintage edges and healthy amount of Poplar in the shell.

Example is this gem: 14x4.5 solid shell East Indian Rosewood Pork Pie. It’s a killer. Wicked crack and ultimate precision. Does it match with the Trilogy drums? Nope!

The PP is a rare beast (PP only made a couple) and rosewood anything is very elusive now. What would you do?
I’ll give you $10 bucks for it, just to ease your mind! :)

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t doubt the Crav’s would integrate. I have plenty of snares that work well with the Trilogy’s. It was a question on what to do with the very cool snares I currently own that do not.
Yeah, I got that. A Carviotto is something that can blend or sound quite different. My answer for your current snare drums would be to use something like a Big Fat Snare Drum kind of thing on it to alter the sound as needed.