The Drum Solo Discussion Thread

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I don't. All I need to do is watch a Gavin, Simon, Virgil or Larnell (put your favorite drummers name here) video and I'm out.

dyland

Reaction score
I could watch DiCenso solo all day. This video is one of my favorite drum videos period. The explosion back into the groove at the end of the solo section is such a hard hitting moment. I love it. If you don't want to watch the whole thing I recommend starting at 6:45.

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If one were to watch (and absorb) only the "Billy Boy" section of the previously posted Philly Joe Jones video, they would be pretty much set for a couple of seasons of Jazz gigs and trading trading fours/soloing. So many ideas, and his ideas flow to tell a story.

His command of the instrument, particularly as a solo voice was brilliant. (not that I'm telling anyone anything they didn't already know)

Last edited:

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
I could watch DiCenso solo all day. This video is one of my favorite drum videos period. The explosion back into the groove at the end of the solo section is such a hard hitting moment. I love it. If you don't want to watch the whole thing I recommend starting at 6:45.

The last part of that you recommended is posted in the Dave DiCenso thread, watching the whole thing and especially that part again is just mind blowing, he's incredible.